Beginner Guitar Recommendations

4,135 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TequilaMockingbird
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Ibanez acoustic will be sufficient for what you want. Don't spend a ton if you aren't sure if he'll like it or not. He can always upgrade if he determines he really enjoys it.

Philo B 93
rbtexan said:

Philo B 93 said:

rbtexan said:

It is a fun discussion, and it should be noted that there really is no right or wrong when it comes to the acoustic vs. electric debate. If your son really wants to play an electric, then that's clearly the route you should go IMO.

Most of my professional life has revolved around acoustics, and maybe that's why I gravitate in that direction. The main thing is to get him something you think he'll have the most fun with, because that'll go a long way in determining if and how long he'll stick with it.

Do I remember correctly from your posts that you are a country music / Texas Country songwriter?
Been a professional songwriter in Nashville since the early 80s....have had cuts in a number of genres, but yes mostly country and (lately in particular) Texas country.

I'd love to hear some stories sometime. You're living one of my dreams.
rbtexan
S
Philo B 93 said:

rbtexan said:

Philo B 93 said:

rbtexan said:

It is a fun discussion, and it should be noted that there really is no right or wrong when it comes to the acoustic vs. electric debate. If your son really wants to play an electric, then that's clearly the route you should go IMO.

Most of my professional life has revolved around acoustics, and maybe that's why I gravitate in that direction. The main thing is to get him something you think he'll have the most fun with, because that'll go a long way in determining if and how long he'll stick with it.

Do I remember correctly from your posts that you are a country music / Texas Country songwriter?
Been a professional songwriter in Nashville since the early 80s....have had cuts in a number of genres, but yes mostly country and (lately in particular) Texas country.

I'd love to hear some stories sometime. You're living one of my dreams.
I could probably bore you to death for hours with them, and would be happy to. Don't want to de-rail the thread, but I will say that I've had an incredibly blessed life and I've been fortunate to be able to make a living doing something I love for 3 1/2 decades. That said, I'm glad I got here when I did, because the golden era of songwriting has come and gone and it's a much tougher, much less fun profession than it used to be. The Tin Pan Alley-type songwriters like me are dinosaurs, and the asteroid hit about 2 decades ago. I'm afraid that in my lifetime I'll see it cease to be a viable career option. Sad really, but the world keeps spinning and things change.
Jimbo Franchione
MSFC Aggie
AG
I too would like to hear some stories. If you feel up to starting a new thread, I'm sure there are several of us that would appreciate hearing what you have to tell.
rbtexan
S
tell you what, it feels a little self-indulgent for me to start a thread about me (lol) but if you guys want to start one, I'll be happy to answer any questions or share stories until you guys get sick of hearing them
Jimbo Franchione
Philo B 93
I'll start a thread called "songwriting in America" discreetly meant as a way for you to regale as much as you are willing. I know several of us would love to hear some stories. Thanks.
keepcalm123
I majored in classical guitar performance at UNT and taught guitar and theory for three years to children just like your son. Regardless of his interest, I recommend a 3/4 size classical guitar. The nylon strings are forgiving and the action will be easy on him. He'll complain that there are no dots on the fret board but that can be fixed with a marker, and honestly by the time he gets to playing where those dots would be, he won't need them.

Electrics are cumbersome and the cheap ones usually sound like garbage anyways. most steel string acoustics are not comfortable for a kid that age.

After a year or so, if he takes to it and outgrows the thing, then consider the other instruments. Check out the Yamaha below. I think it's in your price range

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/CGS-Student-Classical-Guitar-Natural-3-4-Size-1308847077939.gc
Cloud
FtBendTxAg said:

The seagull s6 is the best guitar in the universe at its price range.

blue star, give it to him
TequilaMockingbird
The conventional wisdom back in the day was to start on acoustic, but after playing for many years and selling musical equipment for a few I fall on the side of getting an electric guitar if that's the kind of music your kid wants to play. It's important for him to be genuinely interested in learning and having fun playing it.

If he's going to take lessons and you know who the teacher would be, I would consult with that person as well. The teacher may stipulate no electrics. On the other hand, at the store I was with we had an amplifier for the student to use in the lesson room.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.