Beginner Guitar Recommendations

4,136 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TequilaMockingbird
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the correct board buy here goes...

We are going to start an adventure with our 10-year old beginning some lessons with guitar. Here are some points and questions;

He is 10, but is a tall 10, so maybe think of him as a 12-year old, around 5'-1" tall.

Electric or Acoustic? - I have heard many arguments for both; electric is smaller, electric will be easier on the fingers, acoustic is easier to transport, etc.

I will be honest, I have really only researched acoustic but am willing to listen to the electric argument. However, I will continue down the acoustic thought with the idea of possibly changing.

Acoustic Guitars
I am going to state our overall budget on the lower end - ~$200-$250.
What do you recommend for a beginner guitar?
Size/Scale?
Brand?
Accessories?
Country of Origin?
Action?

Our Music Minister at our church recommended a Big Baby Taylor but that is $400. The Yamaha FG800 is $200 but is it too big?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!
MSFC Aggie
AG
Just beginning for a 10 year old? Just get anything decent, with decent action, that's not expensive. You wouldn't believe the POS I started out with. See if a friend is selling something...or find one at a garage sale. I'd stay away from a new one at this stage. Just my opinion though.

I started out with an electric. They usually have better action and are easier to fret. Of course, you'll need an amp also. Once the calluses get prominent on the finger tips, he can start playing the acoustic.
Slicer97
AG
What is he interested in playing? If he has a preference for one over the other, go with his preference. He'll be more motivated to practice and stick with it.

What type of music is he into? Pick a guitar that suits that style.

For a basic intro guitar, I'd hit a reputable pawn shop with a friend that knows guitars and look for a MIM Fender Strat. It won't break the bank and, if you need to sell it because your son loses interest, you'll be able to recoup most, if not all of your investment (provided you sell through Craigslist/eBay vs back to the pawn shop/Guitar Center).
80s Guy
Slicer97 said:

What is he interested in playing? If he has a preference for one over the other, go with his preference. He'll be more motivated to practice and stick with it.

What type of music is he into? Pick a guitar that suits that style.

For a basic intro guitar, I'd hit a reputable pawn shop with a friend that knows guitars and look for a MIM Fender Strat. It won't break the bank and, if you need to sell it because your son loses interest, you'll be able to recoup most, if not all of your investment (provided you sell through Craigslist/eBay vs back to the pawn shop/Guitar Center).

Get his first real 6 string at the 5 & Dime. Make him play it til his fingers bleed
Slicer97
AG
Username checks out....

old ****er....
80s Guy
At least I can grow hair in places that I still want to have hair...
62strat
AG
I started at 13ish on an electric. I bought my friend's who was upgrading. Think I paid $150 or so for Ibanez. Wasn't until ~4-5 years later my parents got me a mid level guitar, an ESP about $700. (Course they got me a nice Tama starter drum set somewhere in between hah)

Assuming your kid is not a die hard dave matthews fan, or like my brother and into James Taylor or Christopher Corss at age 12, I'd get an electric. Acoustic can come later if he sticks with it.

Does he have any friends that play? I learned the basics from my aforementioned friend, and within a year or so was pretty capable of playing lots of things, getting my chops from Metallica and grunge songs.

I believe that you either have it or you don't. Another friend of mine growing up desperately wanted to play along with us, but even after a year or two of lessons and constant practicing, he realized he just didn't have it and gave up.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Take him to guitar center and put guitars in his hand that fit him within your budget. Buy the one he likes best.
Gigem314
AG
I would have him start on acoustic. It gives him the chance to focus on fundamentals, without the hassle of an amp and other accessories that come with an electric guitar.

I love Taylors because they're so easy to play and they have the most comfortable necks in terms of action.

But if a basic Taylor is more than you'd want to spend, here are some other solid options.

Breedlove makes a good guitar that's easy to play with the proper set up. Plus they have body sizes that would fit a 10-year-old better:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove/Discovery-Concert-with-Sitka-Spruce-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-High-Gloss-Natural-1500000204764.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickCP

Fender and Ibanez also make solid beginner guitars:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/PC12MHEOPN-Mahogany-Grand-Concert-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Buy him a ****ty acoustic, it will build up finger strength and not cost you anything.

If he continues to show interest and is playing it like crazy, get him something nicer.
Southlake
Ah, Baby Taylor is a little pricey, but is perfect for a serious 10 year old and will hold its value if he craps out on you.

Toughest thing for a 10 year old is to deal with initial finger pain and impatience in the early stages, especially if he's a slow learner like Southlake was...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I inherited my dad's acoustic 12-string Fender and started playing around 11 or so. (Though it was only stringed with 6 at the time.)

Once I started taking it a little more seriously, they got me a Squier, since I really wanted an electric.

In this case, if it's one or the other, I'd say go with a beginner acoustic-electric, and you can always get him a nice electric down the road if he shows real interest.
caleblyn
Wow! Thanks for the quick feedback. As you can see, the opinions vary. Your feedback is much appreciated. I will take him to Guitar Center and have him put his hands on a few.

The 12 string note was interesting. My father-in-law has one that he said he would let him use. I did not know you can string it with 6. My only thought is that it might be too big, physically. He picked one up for the first time this past week. It was a Fender Full Size and even though the person with me thought he could reach the last fret good enough, the body just enveloped him.

Someone mentioned Ibanez. I have looked at the Ibanez PF2MHOPN
Simple but might be sufficient and allows for some additional $$ for accessories.
Opinions?
Echoes97
AG
Lots of good info here, just wanted to add a few things. First, there are coated strings to help with finger comfort with the acoustic guitar. He will have to get used to it one way or the other, and a good set of coated strings will help him ease into the instrument with a minimal amount of discomfort (can't get around some, you just have to go through it).

That Ibanez seems like a great option, my buddy just got one of their "Artwood" series acoustics, and it's an excellent sounding guitar for the money. Is it a Taylor? Well hell no, but for the money it sounds great.

That guitar will last him a few years until you know whether he sticks with it, at which point you can get him a full size electric (and/or acoustic). BTW do you happen to be in Houston? If so, I have a Baby Taylor that I really don't play very much and would be willing to part with for a very reasonable amount, but that might be a little small for him anyway.

Regardless, encourage him, and hopefully he takes to it, because it is a lifelong tool and joy that you cannot put a price tag on later in life. Learning guitar (which I didn't do until college) has provided me an infinite number of friends, experiences, gigs, etc etc. and I am ever thankful I did it. Wish I would have started earlier. Best of luck!

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
BurnetAggie99
Martin LX1E

Taylor GS Mini

Loar LH-204 Brownstone

Recording King RD-10

Recording King's Torrefied RP1-16C
FancyKetchup14
AG
You can find used mini martins and baby Taylor's at guitar center. Even if they're not in your area they'll ship to your local GC. I learned on a baby Taylor, it's a good instrument for beginner and not too loud. And as someone mentioned, Pawn shops are a good one too.

Also, YouTube is a thing of beauty for instructional videos.
62strat
AG
caleblyn said:

The 12 string note was interesting. My father-in-law has one that he said he would let him use. I did not know you can string it with 6.

You can string it with 0 strings and buy him air guitar lessons.
62strat
AG
caleblyn said:

Someone mentioned Ibanez. I have looked at the Ibanez PF2MHOPN
Simple but might be sufficient and allows for some additional $$ for accessories.
Opinions?
As I mentioned, I think a lot depends on your kid. What music does he like? If he's into rock or metal, an acoustic just might not keep him interested. But if he like's country or dmb type stuff, then it certainly is the way to go.

When I turned 10 the black album came out shortly after and metallica became my life, so when I wanted to learn guitar a few years later, an acoustic was the last thing on my mind.

Only you or him can answer that. I will say, if he's into rock, I wouldn't waste time with an acoustic up front. He's not going to be able to reproduce what he likes to listen to, and that will result in him losing interest. Find a cheap elec gtr/amp deal at GC or buy used.
jackie childs
there's about to be so much "smoke on the water" in your future....congrats
The Collective
AG
12 bar blues was the first and only guitar I ever learned, so at a minimum, the op will be blessed with that.
AggieEE
AG
The Big Baby Taylor will be an excellent first guitar. Short scale length is important with younger players. Adults can play comfortably also.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Start him on acoustic. The guitar I'd recommend is a Seagull S6. You should be able to find a used one at various places, including pawn shops, for $250-300 or so. As far as strings go, I like the Elixer strings. They make a light version that are probably a little more comfortable to play for someone who hasn't developed the fingertip callouses. They still sound good on a good guitar.

He needs to take lessons. I know there are self taught guitarists but at some point they all found a teacher. Class guitar at a community college would be an option. Otherwise, you should be able to find a guitar teacher at a music store or even at your church.

For other equipment, he might want a small foot stool that would help him position the guitar better. As far as picks go, I like the Fender medium picks. They also make light and heavy. Go get a dozen or so different picks (they're cheap) and let him find the ones he likes. He WILL change his mind over time.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, Guitar is a VERY difficult instrument to MASTER. Learning to play a few chords well may just take a few weeks of practice, but it will take hours of practice and years of study to perfect. But that's OK. I recommend him learning some music theory (which isn't theoretical like economic theory). Music theory IS music. Especially for a harmonic (multiple notes at once; chords) instrument like the guitar. Key signatures, scales, circle of fifths, 1, 4, and 5 chords, etc. For now, he can stay in the sharp keys -- G, D, and A.

Good luck!
caleblyn
Thanks for the good info. We do have lessons already lined up.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The seagull s6 is the best guitar in the universe at its price range.
rbtexan
S
Agree with the posters suggesting starting on an acoustic vs. an electric.

My reasoning is that because an acoustic is in fact harder to fret/play, it makes the transition to electric much easier than doing it the other way. Also, an acoustic he can play anywhere, take anywhere, etc. without having to drag an amp and effects along.

The only downside to going the acoustic route, IMO, is that you really have to look around to find a good one at a low price point. I'm a big fan of Taylor and have several(have an artist endorsement with them) and I've got a couple of Martins, but I also have an old Yamaha that I think I paid $190 for brand new, and it sounds really good. The key is to play a bunch of them and find one that sounds/feels good to you....it's sort of like buying a pair of boots, what looks good/fits well on someone else may not work for you. I've heard great things about those mentioned, also Takamine has always made a pretty good guitar for the money.

If/when you find one you like, the very first thing I would do is take it to a guitar repair shop and have them do a set up (adjust the neck, frets, bridge settings, etc.). It's not expensive, less than $100, and it's money well spent because it'll make whatever guitar you buy sound and play the absolute best it's capable of.

I'd also try to find a guitar teacher who is willing to teach him to play what he wants to play. I took lessons very briefly when I was a kid, but the guy only wanted to teach me folk music and that wasn't what I was into....wound up being basically self-taught, and consequently learned a lot of things wrong or didn't learn them at all.

Hope this helps.
Jimbo Franchione
Philo B 93
My recipe for success for kids was an Epiphone SG. Lighter and smaller than a Strat or Les Paul, but still had the bite of the double humbucker and the street cred of AC/DC. Retail for $169.

There are no guarantees on what will work, but an electric is usually more interesting and easier for a 10 year old. Why make an insanely hard task even harder by starting with an acoustic? Makes no sense to me, but I'm just a 35 year guitar veteran with two preteens who play guitar every day and love it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I started on acoustic. I wanted an electric guitar, but my parents insisted I learn acoustic before they'd agree to buy an electric.

While acoustic is a little more work to finger, they're also a hell of a lot more forgiving for little mistakes while the muscle memory is building. With an electric the slightest mis-fret is amplified.

Another benefit of the acoustic is he can easily move it from room to room and isn't limited to where you have the amp setup. Sure the amp will be small, but anything that gets in the way of making it easy to pick up and play will hinder practice.

Side story - years ago I walked into the acoustic room at guitar center. An asian kid was playing smells like teen spirit, poorly, on a $2K Martin. His mom, with thick accent, yelled "just pick one lets go".

Sigh....

Edit: I was 15 when I started. There could be something to the hand strength of a 10 year old not being there yet, making an acoustic an uphill battle.
Take the trash out staff.
62strat
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

Another benefit of the acoustic is he can easily move it from room to room and isn't limited to where you have the amp setup. Sure the amp will be small, but anything that gets in the way of making it easy to pick up and play will hinder practice.

rbtexan said:

Also, an acoustic he can play anywhere, take anywhere, etc. without having to drag an amp and effects along.

I play my electric guitars, unplugged, almost every day. You know they do make noise don't you

This is a very weak reason to start on acoustic.

Philo B 93
Adam Ag 98 said:

Edit: I was 15 when I started. There could be something to the hand strength of a 10 year old not being there yet, making an acoustic an uphill battle.

This is a fun discussion. I was 14 and started with an acoustic because it was free and all that was available. After mastering La Bamba I bought a cheap electric and the rest is history. A pro guitar player / relative told me early on that I'd have a lot more fun with an acoustic over the course of my life. He would have been right except neither of us knew I'd be playing in bands from then till now. Some of the best parties I've been to are ones where I was watching the action from a stage with a Strat slung over my shoulder.

Acoustics are great, and for most people I agree that they will provide more joy over a lifetime. But I still recommend starting a kid with a cheap electric and a cheap amp (i.e. Roland Micro Cube). For an adult, I'd recommend an acoustic.
rbtexan
S
It is a fun discussion, and it should be noted that there really is no right or wrong when it comes to the acoustic vs. electric debate. If your son really wants to play an electric, then that's clearly the route you should go IMO.

Most of my professional life has revolved around acoustics, and maybe that's why I gravitate in that direction. The main thing is to get him something you think he'll have the most fun with, because that'll go a long way in determining if and how long he'll stick with it.
Jimbo Franchione
EastSideAg2002
Only way to go....

OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Get him an electric. I started with a cheap Squier Stratocaster. I found it more fun than the acoustic. He'll feel more like a rock star which will keep him more interested in it. Will be easier to fret. Will be able to practice with headphones early on which as a parent you won't regret. And he won't get frustrated dropping his pick in the sound hole every five minutes. Trust me.
Philo B 93
rbtexan said:

It is a fun discussion, and it should be noted that there really is no right or wrong when it comes to the acoustic vs. electric debate. If your son really wants to play an electric, then that's clearly the route you should go IMO.

Most of my professional life has revolved around acoustics, and maybe that's why I gravitate in that direction. The main thing is to get him something you think he'll have the most fun with, because that'll go a long way in determining if and how long he'll stick with it.

Do I remember correctly from your posts that you are a country music / Texas Country songwriter?
FancyKetchup14
AG
This has been mentioned but it's worth repeating...

Your kid's fingers will hurt for a while until they start developing callouses. Especially on acoustic. Also, bar chords will be a gigantic pain in the ass until they develop strength for them. They just need to continue playing until they figure it out. I'm self taught (with a lot of room for improvement), but those were my two biggest hurdles.
rbtexan
S
Philo B 93 said:

rbtexan said:

Do I remember correctly from your posts that you are a country music / Texas Country songwriter?
Been a professional songwriter in Nashville since the early 80s....have had cuts in a number of genres, but yes mostly country and (lately in particular) Texas country.
Jimbo Franchione
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.