*** STAR TREK 4 (Abrams-verse) ***

14,528 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally, confirmation that the Abrams-verse will continue, with the announcement that relative unknown S.J. Clarkson will be directing the yet-to-be-titled fourth installment of the franchise. Also (essentially) confirmed is the plot, one that has been rumored for nearly two years, that will bring back Chris Hemsworth in the role of George Kirk, Pine's character's father, as they somehow encounter each other in yet another time travel ploy. I admit, it sounds hokey typing that out, but I've always loved this cast, and especially the first and third movies, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides, seeing Hemsworth in the role again could be a lot of fun...

As for Quentin Tarantino's Trek movie, Paramount yesterday confirmed at CinemaCon that they have TWO Star Trek movies on the slate, and the same reporter who broke today's news followed up with this on Twitter...

Reading the tea leaves, I'd say that could mean the Clarkson-directed installment might very well be the final film in the Abrams-verse, and that Paramount will then retool the franchise in some way with Tarantino's version, but who knows. I could just as easily see Tarantino's version never happening, this fourth movie being another big success, and the entire cast coming back for a fifth installment. So, yeah. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, but in the meantime - my guess is summer 2020 - we get another Abrams-verse Trek movie, so I'm not complaining.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Aren't Viacomm (or whatever it's called today) and Paramount in talks for a merger or acquisition? IIRC that would essentially unite the franchise under one roof?
double aught
AG
Quote:

I've always loved this cast, and especially the first and third movies
Same here. Sign me up.
Madmarttigan
AG
I do love the cast, but the movies have gotten progressively worse with the latest one being borderline terrible imo. Hope they turn it around for the final one.
TCTTS
AG
Beyond has its issues, sure, but it's miles better than Into Darkness, which is still a ridiculously frustrating movie. That, and Beyond is just straight up fun. I think they righted the ship with the last one, and hopefully they continue in the right direction with this.
redline248
AG
Any indication if they can keep the Enterprise intact for an entire movie?
israeliag
AG
Count me as someone who found Beyond a starship load of fun. Looking forward to more of this crew. When you're lucky enough to have a cast with such chemistry you're obligated to make more films.

Will be interesting to see how they honor Anton Yelchin.
TCTTS
AG
Now THIS is interesting. I was wondering how they were even going to pull off this whole conceit (Kirk and his dead dad, who hasn't aged, teaming up), but what if the explosion in that opening sequence of Star Trek - one of the best opening sequences of a blockbuster in the last decade, IMO - time traveled in that moment as well? The whole reason the new timeline was created was because Nero's ship had just time traveled to that point only moments before - in pursuit of Spock - and Nero's ship did have on board some of whatever that crucial red time travel element/ingredient was. So when Kirk's dad rammed his ship into Nero's - and presumably died in the process - what if that instead triggered some kind of time jump for him?

jeffk
AG
To the realm of Ass-guard?
TCTTS
AG
Star Thor

Thor Trek

Star Trek: Into Asgard
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Thor and the Furious: Into Tokyo
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Thor and the Furious: Into Tokyo

So we get a cross of Marvel, Star Trek, and Pacific Rim/Kaiju? Sounds hilariously awesome.
israeliag
AG
Stat Trek: The Dark World

(Actually works as a title and could be a good concept)
jeffk
AG
Stat Check? Sounds like there'll be math.
israeliag
AG
Ha just realized the spelling error.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther
AG
You put Thor in any movie/franchise and I'll be there opening night
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Chris Hemsworth as the Borg leader ala Locutus.

Saved by "The Traveler" with a cameo by Wesley Crusher.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

You put Thor in any movie/franchise and I'll be there opening night
Thor teams up with Rock & Statham from the F&F to stop the mob boss from Tokyo Drift, who now has Jaegers which are attacking all the major cities around the world.
bobinator
AG
Starting with the disclaimer that logic doesn't necessarily hold any water in the Star Trek world because they can always find some way to write around it, it doesn't make much sense that George Kirk would have jumped forward in time when he crashed into the Narada.

The Narada and Spock's ship got pulled into a black hole that was created when Spock launched red matter at the exploding Romulan sun, and they landed in the past at different times. The red matter used to create the block hole isn't on board the Narada yet (they don't capture Spock until after their attack on the Kelvin.)

So they're going to have to find some sort of other way to make this work.

I could see some sort of existential threat coming (The Borg, perhaps?) that in order to save all of the federation, they have to go back (forward?) in time and prevent the entire sequence of events from happening, and the movie ends with George Kirk surviving, James T being born, and then the 'Abrams-verse' basically riding off into the sunset tossing the ball back into the court of the original series timeline.
TCTTS
AG
This reads like complete and utter negotiation tactics. I seriously doubt that deals are not reached relatively soon...

double aught
AG
Just wanted to say that Star Trek '09 is a really fun film. Hopefully they get another with this cast worked out.
TCTTS
AG
One of my favorite blockbusters of the century so far. It's just so damn fun.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

This reads like complete and utter negotiation tactics. I seriously doubt that deals are not reached relatively soon...

This just in: Paramount in negotiations with Chris Pratt and Chris Evans for Star Trek 4.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, bingo.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood's A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies
I'm admittedly a little ignorant here, but is Pine really considered an A-lister apart from the Star Trek franchise?
double aught
AG
Good question. I would think he's pretty close. Wonder Woman and Hell or High Water are nothing to sneeze at.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Remember when Hemsworth was cast as Thor and was only known as "that guy who played Kirk's dad in the first 10 minutes of the 'Star Trek' reboot"?
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
TCTTS said:

Finally, confirmation that the Abrams-verse will continue, with the announcement that relative unknown S.J. Clarkson will be directing the yet-to-be-titled fourth installment of the franchise. Also (essentially) confirmed is the plot, one that has been rumored for nearly two years, that will bring back Chris Hemsworth in the role of George Kirk, Pine's character's father, as they somehow encounter each other in yet another time travel ploy. I admit, it sounds hokey typing that out, but I've always loved this cast, and especially the first and third movies, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides, seeing Hemsworth in the role again could be a lot of fun...

As for Quentin Tarantino's Trek movie, Paramount yesterday confirmed at CinemaCon that they have TWO Star Trek movies on the slate, and the same reporter who broke today's news followed up with this on Twitter...

Reading the tea leaves, I'd say that could mean the Clarkson-directed installment might very well be the final film in the Abrams-verse, and that Paramount will then retool the franchise in some way with Tarantino's version, but who knows. I could just as easily see Tarantino's version never happening, this fourth movie being another big success, and the entire cast coming back for a fifth installment. So, yeah. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, but in the meantime - my guess is summer 2020 - we get another Abrams-verse Trek movie, so I'm not complaining.
A Quentin Tarantino Star Trek? Great 2 1/2 hours of "witty" conversations followed by a quick, worthless ending. Will be hailed as a "masterpiece of the arts."

No thanks.
Satellite of Love
It's a Chris-off!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Prime0882
AG
https://screenrant.com/star-trek-4-cancelled-updates-paramount/amp/
bearamedic99
AG
Man, Karl Urban just cannot get the work he deserves.

The article states there is still hope that Tarantino might do a Trek movie once he is done with his current project.
TCTTS
AG
The Hemsworth iteration ultimately fell apart due to deal negotiations (I'm still genuinely surprised everyone couldn't agree on terms), but Paramount isn't giving up on another Abrams-verse Star Trek, hiring Noah Hawley to write and direct a new, Hemsworth-free iteration of the fourth movie in the franchise...

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/noah-hawley-star-trek-1203409795/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

The Hemsworth iteration ultimately fell apart due to deal negotiations (I'm still genuinely surprised everyone couldn't agree on terms), but Paramount isn't giving up on another Abrams-verse Star Trek, hiring Noah Hawley to write and direct a new, Hemsworth-free iteration of the fourth movie in the franchise...

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/noah-hawley-star-trek-1203409795/

This is so damn promising.

Apparently the Tarrantino one is still in Dev and separate of this, too.
https://deadline.com/2019/11/star-trek-noah-hawley-directing-writing-sequel-jj-abrams-chris-pine-paramount-1202785280/
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.