Dave Matthews Band - New Album & Tour Discussion

7,117 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boogieman
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
12f Mane said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours#2000s

DMB does ~40 shows a summer tour each year. U2's top selling "tour" was 110 shows that spanned into 3 different calendar years. But they also go on breaks for sometimes multiple years without a full tour.

It still is incredible and their gross on that averages out better, but I think the point is that the argument can be made...just depends on what someone thinks is more impressive...a mega band doing a mega tour or a band that tours every single year for 2.5 decades? I don't know the answer, and my guess is it depends on who you ask.

There's a certain difficulty that comes with having to be on top of your game in a live setting year after year year. If you falter, the numbers will fade.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I've never understood how tours and ticket sales are counted because you come across articles like these and they contradict the wiki page. Regardless, I hold them in high regard as a live act and always appreciated their work ethic. I think the industry considers them a staple in the tour world too.

Dave Matthews Band rocks to the top in concert revenue
FancyKetchup14
AG
Anyway, back to album discussion. It's a new sound, but I also hear pieces of each of their past albums in each song. Not sure where I place it in my favorite DMB albums, it'll take a few listens for me.

Here are my favorites off the album:

Idea of You - shocked at how much I like this. It's my favorite song on the album.
Do You Remember
Here on Out
Can't Stop
Again and Again
Come On Come On

Don't care for That Girl is You, Come Tomorrow, or When I'm Weary.

Carter brought it on this album.
Jack Thauer
AG
Back to the tour conversation really quickly. Just want to mention that when discussing their concert sales by $ it is misleading compared to more recent acts they keep production cost low and return those savings to the fans. The most expensive ticket is ~$115 for each show.
Jack Thauer
AG
I think I agree re: Idea of You. Having LeRoi on it makes it even more special IMO.

It's not my favorite on the album but I like Come Tomorrow. I guess as I get older I appreciate songs like Come Tomorrow and Drunken Soldier that promote a positivity. The world certainly needs more of it. It was also neat that they played it to open the tour in the Woodlands the day of the school shooting. His intro plus that song was the perfect acknowledgment.

Bkdkdkdd is such a tease. That's the point but man just as it gets going it ends. Wish that one was a full song.
Diggity
AG
He's talking about each track on the album on XM Spectrum right now.

He laid down those vocals on the first attempt, which is pretty evident. He really seemed to like the way it turned out so I think it's supposed to be a little silly.
Jack Thauer
AG
wish I had Sirius. I doubt they will post it anywhere afterwards?
Diggity
AG
I would doubt it as well. If you have a friend with Sirius Online, I'm sure it will be in their On Demand library soon enough.
Diggity
AG
you don't like Samurai Cop? Sounds like classic Dave to me.

...and I can't quite get over him saying "Idear of You" on your favorite song!
FancyKetchup14
AG
I like Samurai Cop. But it's not in my favorites.

It was weird at first but the band sounds awesome on the song.
Jack Thauer
AG
"Idear" is my one complaint with the song. He is South African so maybe thatbhas something to do with it.
dah4439
AG
"Idear of you" is so great! He's been playing it on tour for about 10 years. First time I heard it was Live at Fenway. Going to both shows up here in Denver. Can't wait!
Bunk Moreland
Finally got to listen through the album tonight.

Really enjoyed it. A few annoyances but overall I think it is pretty solid.
spadilly
S
Would it be out of line if I think this is one of the better albums they've put out?

Aside from That Girl is You, I think every song is great.
"Idea" and "Come On Come On" are probably my favorites.

Is Idea going to be put out on radio (or has it already? I don't really listen to the radio any more)? I think it sounds like the most Top 40 song on the album.
Bunk Moreland
I've enjoyed it
Ag 11
AG
I've always liked Idea of You. So far I'm leaning towards Do You Remember as my favorite new song on the album
FancyKetchup14
AG
Agreed on Do You Remember. It puts me in a good mood. I'm liking this album more and more each day.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'll post these as they are uploaded...

FancyKetchup14
AG
'Come Tomorrow' Bound for Number 1
Bunk Moreland
finally got my cd through Warehouse. Guess I was on the last shipment.
Diggity
AG
Sound Warehouse?
Bunk Moreland
No, their fan "association"
Bunk Moreland
https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/dave-matthews-band-samurai-cop-oh-joy-begin/3749581
FancyKetchup14
AG

Rocag
AG
Dave Matthews Tiny Desk Concert

Set List
  • "Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin)"
  • "Here on Out"
  • "Don't Drink the Water"
  • "Mercy"
  • "So Damn Lucky

Love the Tiny Desk concerts. This one is just Dave Matthews without the band.
boogieman
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

I liked his version of the Guicci Gang song.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.