Dave Matthews Band - New Album & Tour Discussion

7,076 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boogieman
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well they just announced this week that the new album "Come Tomorrow" will be released in June.

The press photo does not have Boyd on it, as we've known he's been away from the band to deal with family & health issues. Sad to see such a talented guy possibly lose his ability to play his instrument.

So far all I've read is that no one knows if he recorded on this album either way, but that the new album will include stuff LeRoi recorded years ago before his death. Dave has a lot of songs the band has performed live over the years that dont' make LP's, so there's some speculation one or 2 of those will be on this one.

Other than that I don't have anything else about the new album, though I am excited to hear it.

The new tour after a whole 1 year break from touring starts off in Texas in 3 or 4 weeks. Unfortunately I won't be able to make those dates. If the album is good and the tour gets going good, I may try to catch them at a different location later in the summer.

Anyone else going to the Texas shows or any shows on the tour?

cmk10
AG
Ill be at The Woodlands show.
AgHawkeye
AG
I honestly haven't listened to too much DMB since 2005 but my wife is still a big fan and we have tickets for the Austin show.

She did say this morning that she was sent a link to stream the new album before it came out so you may be able to listen to it now.
zgood10
AG
Woodlands again for me. Good seat too

Hope the record is more like Big Whiskey and not Away From The World
LHIOB
AG
Cant wait!

I went to my first DMB show 23 years ago when a friends older brother took us to a free show in Richmond, VA when I was 14. I dont know how many shows Ive been to but its close to 30.

Always one of my favorite nights of the year.

Ill be at the Dallas show.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Checking in for Woodlands attendance.

I think we are going to see "Virginia in the Rain", "Samurai Cop", and "Black and Bluebird" on this album. Doesn't sound like Lillywhite is attached to it so I am hoping we get some separation from the Away from the World sound (granted I love "If Only", "Rooftop" and "BBN" off that album).

From what I understand BT is on the album, at least that's what Lessard has implied on twitter. I'm looking forward to May 18th!
Rocag
AG
I saw them live every year from 2001 to 2009 but haven't been since. I've got tickets for the May 19 show in Dallas so I'm excited to get to see them again. Generally speaking, I like their live stuff better than the studio albums but I'll probably give this new one a listen.
HvilleAggie
AG
Woodlands show checking in here. Always liked their stuff but I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard fan. Wife dropped a couple hints about them coming to Houston so I jumped on the chance to see one of the best live acts around. Lawn seats, so I'm looking forward to a secondhand high!
Ag 11
AG
I'll be at the Woodlands for lucky #13
ORAggieFan
I'll be in the pit at Austin.

Pretty sure Boyd will be on most of the album. Most was recorded before he took off. Going to miss him a lot though.

If you bought tickets to any show, you should have received an email for free new album.
FancyKetchup14
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Checking in for Woodlands attendance.

I think we are going to see "Virginia in the Rain", "Samurai Cop", and "Black and Bluebird" on this album. Doesn't sound like Lillywhite is attached to it so I am hoping we get some separation from the Away from the World sound (granted I love "If Only", "Rooftop" and "BBN" off that album).

From what I understand BT is on the album, at least that's what Lessard has implied on twitter. I'm looking forward to May 18th!
Not bad guesswork on my part.

https://instagr.am/p/BiR7AacgMIx
Bunk Moreland
wow they finally are putting Idea of You on an album. That's exciting news.
Bunk Moreland
I hate Can't Stop so that doesn't do anything for me.

Looks like the album is half/half new vs stuff they've toured and played before.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Bunk Moreland
Samurai Cop was never my favorite live but the studio version came out really well
FWAppraiser
AG
Samurai cop turned out really well. Makes me optimistic for the rest of the album. I'll be at The Woodlands and Dallas shows. In fact, I have 2 extras for the Dallas show, if anyone's interested.
CapCityAg89
AG
It has nothing to do with this tour (sorry for the detail) BUT ...

20 years ago, my now wife and I had just started dating. My roommate bought tickets for the group I'd never heard of the "Dave Mathews Band". My girlfriend also bought me tickets to Jimmy Buffett for my 30th birthday. Turns out, they were the same weekend. So we went to Buffett on Friday and brought the average audience age down by 10-15 years. Then DMB on Saturday and brought the average up about 5. Fun weekend.
zgood10
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
Nothing like breaking the story the day before the tour starts. What a kick in the nads.
Bunk Moreland
Wowww
FancyKetchup14
AG
Curious if Dave says anything about it tonight.
zgood10
AG
Not sure he would. Boyd's been out of the band since February. It's still a shock though.

the RS article says the band did not know about it...sounds like Boyd got out ahead of it
LHIOB
AG
Report back from the Hou show tonight if you are going
ORAggieFan
So bummed about the Boyd news. Afraid the end is near for the band, at least the yearly summer tours.

Looking forward to hearing how tonight's show is. I'll be in Austin Tuesday for the show.
FancyKetchup14
AG
LHIOB said:

Report back from the Hou show tonight if you are going
Will do. Even with this news I am still going to miss hearing that violin during those jam sessions though.
FWAppraiser
AG
Heard rumors of the Boyd stuff awhile back...sad, if true. I doubt Dave says anything...he barely says anything meaningful during his shows. May mention the shooting in Santa Fe though since it's so close to Houston.
Buddy Strong is on tour playing keyboards which should give an interesting feel. I hope that means they reign Tim in some though. I wouldn't mind an old school "Butch Taylor" vibe show to be honest (minus the violin of course).
Like above, I'll post after the show tonight.
dcAg
OVER...
RATED!!!
zgood10
AG
dcAg said:

OVER...
RATED!!!
Cool story
FancyKetchup14
AG
dcAg said:

OVER...
RATED!!!

People who love to troll DMB are some of my favorite. Yes, please troll arguably the most successful live act of all time.
TP Ag '87
AG
I love DMB and have seen them live. And, I get what you're saying about trolls on DMB getting real tiring but the 2nd sentence is just a bit of hyperbole.

(And, yes, I see the word "arguably.")
FancyKetchup14
AG
Death. Taxes. And the Dave Matthews Band putting on a hell of a show.
FWAppraiser
AG
Great show.
No mention of Boyd. Dave started the show with thoughts going out to anyone effected by the Santa Fe shooting

Tim was turned down and Buddy Strong was a nice addition. The whole band seemed to be full of energy, and they were having a blast (always a good thing). They played 3 songs from the new album, 1 they've never played before. I FINALLY got to hear #27 live which was like a DMB unicorn for me at this point. Closing the main set with Stand Up was different, but they haven't played it in over a decade and didn't sound half bad. That, and the encore was a little disappointing but nothing to complain too much about. Otherwise, this setlist was amazing.

It always seems like Dallas gets the better setlist, but it'll be hard to top tonight, this year. Can't wait to see them try though.
AggieDPT
AG
Going down to Dallas today. Hoping it's a badass setlist and show.
Ag 11
AG
Recently with Pretty Pretty Girl outro was probably my favorite. Good One Sweet World. 41 was great. Always love Crush. AB Intro on the end of LITHOG was cool. 27 was a good rare one. What You Are hadn't been played in a while, I enjoyed that one. And they dug up Stand Up for the first time in a long time. Fun show tonight. Kinda disappointed with no Ants, Two Step, Warehouse, Jimi, Nancies, Bartender, Pig, Stay, Graves, or Billies.
zgood10
AG
I gotta say.... even without Boyd it was one of the best Dave shows I've seen. There were some first-show bugs like Dave's mic going out in Crush; sometimes Buddy Strong's rig was too loud or too quiet. But damn it was a fun show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-matthews-band/2018/cynthia-woods-mitchell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-43eddfb3.html
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.