What is the worst book you have ever read?

8,540 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GIF Reactor
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I lived in the bush of Zimbabwe I read every book I could get my hands on. Of course, with them being few and far between, I couldn't be picky. However, one book took a literal effort to finish.

"A Severed Head"

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

A Severed Head is a satirical, sometimes farcical 1961 novel by Iris Murdoch. It was Murdoch's fifth published novel. Primary themes include marriage, adultery, and incest within a group of civilised and educated people.

For a more up to date one I absolutely loathed "The Book Thief". So I'll rank that one as 1b on my worst book ever list.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Salt
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Mein Kampf
Bruce Almighty
AG
A Clockwork Orange
Al Bula
AG
The Great and Secret Show comes to mind.

Good omens was bad.

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
The House on Mango Street

Had to read it in High School and it was horrible
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Scarlet Letter. The worst book ever written.

Honorable mention goes to Grapes of Wrath.
Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Siddhartha
KidDoc
AG
American Gods. I struggled through to the end thinking it must get good sometime with all the awards but nope, it was terrible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearamedic99
AG
KidDoc said:

American Gods. I struggled through to the end thinking it must get good sometime with all the awards but nope, it was terrible.

sorry to hear that because American Gods is a wonderful book
bearamedic99
AG
Something Happened by Joseph Heller. I'm a big fan of Catch-22 and thought I would try another of his books. I think this book was a prank were nothibg actually does happen in the plot.
Al Bula
AG
bearamedic99 said:

KidDoc said:

sorry to hear that because American Gods is a wonderful book
not really
Bruce Almighty
AG
Neil Gaiman books suck. I've tried American Gods and 2-3 others and have given up on all of them. I just do not like his writing style.
G Martin 87
AG
I almost quit on American Gods a few times, but stuck with it. I'm glad I did. Definitely overrated though, IMO.
G Martin 87
AG
Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. The first two books in his Century series were great, but the third is utter garbage.
AustinAg2K
The first we had to read for English in 9th grade was "Great Expectations." I hated that book so much I refused to read another book for two years. Summer before my junior year I decided to read Jurassic Park because the movie was just about to come out. That made me realise not all books suck, just the ones they make you read in HS.

Since school, I saw Twilight on the best seller list so I thought I'd try it. It was such garbage. I only read the first 100 pages or so and then I trashed it.
Al Bula
AG
Add The Scarlett Letter to worst books ever.
Budrickson03
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

The House on Mango Street

Had to read it in High School and it was horrible

This is 100% the credited response. It tried to be "deep" and consequential but it was just drivel. Garbage book written by a no-talent hack.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Last of the Mohicans is terribly dry - good movie though.

TriAg2010
AG
AstroAg17 said:

A weekend in september

Is that still required reading for HIST 106?
Sapper Redux
How are some of you defining "worst book"? Scarlet Letter isn't my idea of easy reading, but it's also not the worst book I've ever read by a long shot. That would go to The Da Vinci Code. It was mildly entertaining, but Dan Brown might be the worst wordsmith I have EVER come across. A third grader can put together a more complex sentence and a more realistic plot.
The Debt
Hemmingway is ponderous to me.
Ulrich
The books I dislike the most are probably not the worst.
AGinHI
AG
Goodnight Moon.

Just too repetitive.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Dr. Watson said:

How are some of you defining "worst book"? Scarlet Letter isn't my idea of easy reading, but it's also not the worst book I've ever read by a long shot. That would go to The Da Vinci Code. It was mildly entertaining, but Dan Brown might be the worst wordsmith I have EVER come across. A third grader can put together a more complex sentence and a more realistic plot.
to each his own..I love Dan Brown books...it's like the equivalent of a popcorn movie.

it is what it is.

I don't care how literarily good a book is if it is dry and painful i don't like it.

I also like Crichton, Grisham, Clancy, DeMille and King books.

Now really bad I would say are like the Twilight or 50 Shades books.... honestly I could not even read them. that bad.

I kinda equate bad with either could not get through it at all or got through it but it was painful.

I actually hated The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye. some consider them classics I thought they were smug, condescending and elitist crap.

It's not just like I hate classics - I love To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Grapes of Wrath, Call of the Wild, etc.
Madmarttigan
AG
Not really a book but HP and the cursed child was pretty wtf. For some reason can't remember much else but I generally don't finish stuff I don't enjoy.
Average Joe
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The first we had to read for English in 9th grade was "Great Expectations." I hated that book so much I refused to read another book for two years.

Great Expectations gets my vote, too. Hated that book. I actually offered my teacher to read 3 books and do reports over them instead of reading the second half of that book.
KALALL
AG
The Scarlett Letter is one of my favorite books. Great Expectations sucked as a freshman in high school, but a recent reread made me appreciate it more.

I really disliked a Passage to India and Beloved. I finished then because they're suppose to be great but did not enjoy them one iota.

ThatOneGuy
AG
"A wrinkle in time". I don't know why because I read it 20 years ago but I remember hating it. I was reading about 2-3 books a week at that time in elementary school and I remember being exceptionally disappointed with it, enough that it jumped into my head when I saw the thread title.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Anyone read Ivanhoe? I've never read it, but have heard it's torture to get through.
Sea Pony 07
AG
The old man and the sea
Lord of the flies
The 4th book of the vampire chronicles (turned me off of Anne Rice completely)
I think i made it through 2 paragraphs of twilight.
13B
Wicked. Supposedly a great play...book sucked.
double aught
AG
We had to read A Tale of Two Cities in ninth grade. I found it hard to read and boring. Never finished it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.