RIP Avicii

4,805 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
Gangnam Style
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8358389/avicii-dead-tim-bergling
Al Bula
AG
Sucks
Deputy Travis Junior
I guess so. Wake Me Up has nearly 2 billion YouTube views between the music video and the official lyric video. Levels and Hey Brother are both around 300 million views. Not exactly a small fries artist.

He's probably heard them, but didn't know who the artist was.
Scotty Flamingo
Never heard of him, but recognize the songs
Texaggie7nine
Sad to see him go. I'm wondering if it's drug related.
I remember when he said he was retiring from DJing a few years ago when he was like 25. Said something to the effect of "life on the road will kill me", talking about all the constant partying and living on the road.

We need more FL Studio producers.
7nine
Bunk Moreland
if you've also seen a Coke commercial (or been to a movie theater) the last 2 years, you've heard his "Taste the Feeling" mixes for Coke, which has been an incredibly successful campaign for them.

Dude was talented for sure.
johnnyblaze36
AG
The only thing I've seen is that he had recently quit drinking because of possible pancreatic problems. If that's the case for him at only 28 I have no idea how my pancreas are still holding up. Pretty crappy news for sure.
cajunaggie08
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

The only thing I've seen is that he had recently quit drinking because of possible pancreatic problems. If that's the case for him at only 28 I have no idea how my pancreas are still holding up. Pretty crappy news for sure.
The guy probably lived off of red bulls, vodka, cigarettes, and other recreational items for 10 straight years. Chances are he had pancreatic cancer rather than just some "problems"
MookieBlaylock
AG
Well he won' t be waking up when it's all over

Sounds like suicide anxiety medicine striking again

chris1515
AG
"I took a pill in Ibiza, to show Aviici I was cool"...

That's the only time I ever heard of the guy.
62strat
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Well he won' t be waking up when it's all over

Sounds like suicide anxiety medicine striking again

for the record, he didn't sing that song or write the lyrics.
Texaggie7nine
Correct. He did the most difficult parts of the song.
7nine
MookieBlaylock
AG
First time I heard that song I was blown away and thought the DJ had mixed it

New within 5 seconds of was a hit

Dude was talented
Azariah
AG
Well ***** I wasn't bummed until I started looking up his music. This dude was good.
bam02
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Correct. He did the most difficult parts of the song.

Can you help me understand exactly what he did do? I literally have no idea about the technical aspects of it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Have you ever tried to write a song? The easiest part is the lyrics. The hardest part is the composition. It's why the average person still knows who Beethoven is and is quickly forgetting who Shel Silverstein is.
Texaggie7nine
Here is a video of him showing the technical aspects. But as stated above, coming up with the tunes is also a difficult task.
7nine
Yoda
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Have you ever tried to write a song? The easiest part is the lyrics. The hardest part is the composition. It's why the average person still knows who Beethoven is and is quickly forgetting who Shel Silverstein is.
What a strange choice of comparisons. For the record, I don't think Shel Silverstein is being or will be forgotten. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Giving Tree" will live on for generations. My kids love all his books. Maybe the comparison was more about his song writing, like "A Boy Named Sue", but that's like referencing Deion Sanders as a baseball player. Sure, he did it, but he's best known for something else.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
bam02
AG
I really know zero about music theory or anything technical about it. I have always been curious about artists like Aviici and Daft Punk and trying to understand what it is they actually do. I have no appreciation for how hard it is to compose a song because i know so little. I do acknowledge it must take an ton of skill.
62strat
AG
Champ Bailey said:

As a musician who has written a few dozen songs, I completely disagree, when we're talking about pop songs.

First of all this song is a 3 chord pop song, and second of all, it was cowritten by several people, including the guitar player from incubus.

Composing a song like master of puppets or bohemian rhapsody is an entirely different story. They are very difficult to do and take a lot of time and talent, and could be quite harder than composing the lyrics/melody. But typically for pop songs, it's the opposite. The chords and composition are easy, as the chord progressions are basic and it's verse/chorus/ verse, etc.. Every country and pop song ever is basic song wise and chord progressions are reused over and over, it's the melody that makes them memorable (or forgettable)

For this song, what made it popular is the lyrical content and melody. Not only that, but the singer is really good, and that song would be difficult to sing for most people. The lyrics are very relatable.

Redstone
AG
Like Cornell and Bennington, he knew too much. RIP. I believe and must hope he will receive justice.
Texaggie7nine
Redstone said:

Like Cornell and Bennington, he knew too much. RIP. I believe and must hope he will receive justice.
Knew too much?

So Cornell, Bennington and Avicii found out too much but Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, James Hetfield, Bono, Jimmy Page, Madonna, Jay-Z.... none of these have found whatever it is out yet?
7nine
Squirrel Master
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Redstone said:

Knew too much?

So Cornell, Bennington and Avicii found out too much but Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, James Hetfield, Bono, Jimmy Page, Madonna, Jay-Z.... none of these have found whatever it is out yet?
You just got Redstoned.
Redstone
AG
The deaths are suspicious.
62strat
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Redstone said:

Knew too much?

It's no secret Bono hasn't found it.
NoahAg
Hmmmm, Cornell, Chester, Petty, & Malcolm Young: all taken in 2017.

But this Avicii guy, they delay until 2018. Something is afoot!
cav14
For those that like Zac Brown, he provided vocals to the Avicii song "Broken Arrows".

Rocagnante
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I'm confused....Shel Silverstein wrote Beethoven's lyrics?
Texaggie7nine
Suicide
7nine
bfvp
Saw him live 1-19-2012 in Houston.

We had a group of 6 travel down from CS to see the show. This was right after his song Levels was getting played everywhere. What a fun beginning to my last semester TAMU..

Our group totally overplayed his songs while having countless fun times together.

I'm totally bummed..
Professor Frick
AG
Fogburn95 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Well it's not like Beethoven could have written his own lyrics, what with him being blind and all
Bruce Almighty
AG
Professor Frick said:

Fogburn95 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Well it's not like Beethoven could have written his own lyrics, what with him being blind and all
I can't figure out if this is a joke that's going over my head or if you really think he was blind.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Do I get points for calling suicide

Axing for a friend
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Somehow I think posts like this are much worse than my post getting deleted for not knowing who he was.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So your saying I get a point?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.