North and the South

2,246 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MROD92
ApachePilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I decided to watch this old mini series from 1985 again. I haven't watched it in over 20 years. I'm struck by how crazy the liberal (Kirstie Alley) is in this series! But sadly I feel liberals today could just as well be as crazy.
Stive
AG
I vaguely remember watching it but I'm not sure I remember anything about that thing. Was Patrick Swayze in it? Does it hold up? And where did you find it?
Gigem314
AG
Great mini series. First time I discovered Swayze as a kid. Then I discovered Red Dawn, and Roadhouse, and Point Break.

North & South is without a doubt my favorite Civil War drama. Wish they would remaster it in HD.
ApachePilot
AG
Stive said:

I vaguely remember watching it but I'm not sure I remember anything about that thing. Was Patrick Swayze in it? Does it hold up? And where did you find it?

Found it at the Cracker Barrel

It's been fun watching it again. Swayze is good. Just realized Cougar (Top Gun) is in it.

Glad I bought it
Wes97
AG
The book series is very good. The tv show doesn't 100% hold up these days, but it was really good for the time.
ApachePilot
AG
Top gun connection... wolfman is also in it.
Rex Racer
AG
I have Book 2 and Book 3 on DVD, too, but I have never watched Book 3. Reading the synopsis, I prefer to pretend the story ended with Book 2.

I had watched the first two mini-series when they aired on tv.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've never seen it, but I like The Blue and the Grey when I was a kid.
Duncan Idaho
Liberal? It has been years since I watched this but I thought Kirstie Alley played the abolitionist or the proponent of individual Liberty?
ObjectiveEvaluation
Duncan Idaho said:

Liberal? It has been years since I watched this but I thought Kirstie Alley played the abolitionist or the proponent of individual Liberty?
One could argue all day as to where Virgilia might fall on a modern political spectrum, but she was defintely the Social Justice Warrior of her time.
Duncan Idaho
Sho! Get! I am trolling here and you are spooking the fish
ApachePilot
AG
I guess the term liberal might not fit the times? SJW as stated above fits well. She was BSC though and reacted on emotion without reason at every turn.
ApachePilot
AG
Wait I said acted on emotion without reason. Liberal fits just fine
ApachePilot
AG
On a serious note it's always interested me how many people from the south fought, not for slavery but rather for their southern state and family honor. Such a mess of a war.
Sapper Redux
ApachePilot said:

I guess the term liberal might not fit the times? SJW as stated above fits well. She was BSC though and reacted on emotion without reason at every turn.

Wouldn't it be better to be an abolitionist in 1860? But how she's portrayed is very common in Lost Cause mythology.
YouBet
AG
This show was an event back then. Like so many other "mini-series".
annie88
AG
I remember that miniseries very well. I was in college when it came out and watched every episode. I caught it again several years ago on TV and enjoyed it just as much. David Carradine was such a ******* in that show.

I used to love to watch miniseries like that. War and remembrance was a pretty good too not long after that one. They don't have those as much anymore sadly but they have started with these 10 episode series so I guess that works too. I watched quite a few those as well.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
ApachePilot
AG
Dr. Watson said:

ApachePilot said:

Wouldn't it be better to be an abolitionist in 1860? But how she's portrayed is very common in Lost Cause mythology.

Absolutely. The idea of buying and owning another human blows my mind. Indentured servants would make more sense. I would have been opposed to slavery but her role was unhinged.
MROD92
The wife and I just finished watching this for the first time since it originated. Minutes book 3 very well done, ESPECIALLY for thdrime it was realeased
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.