PS Vue, YoutubeTV, Sling

2,026 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pros and cons of each? Gonna go ahead and stream our cable starting next month and curious to know the best options out there, prices, etc.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sling is $25 a month for your basic cable package, extra $5 for the sports package (it won't have fox, ABC NBC, etc, but it has TBS, FX, Comedy Central, those kind of channels). I love it. I usually pick it up for football season, drop it until March Madness, and then drop it again after that, no cancellation fees or anything. You do that with an HD antenna and you are set.
Redstone
AG
We were early adopters to the following:
Netflix (streaming, non-DVD option)
Hulu (Plus, for commercial free)
Prime (TV, movies)
Dr. Horrible
We have Vue and have been happy, although they just upped their price so we might be looking to go with the Hulu Live TV option... Still evaluating, but even with the price bump on Vue, we're paying less for everything than we had on Uverse.
The Collective
AG
Vue is better due to DVR. DirecTV Now has promised DVR for months and still nothing.
drewser95
AG
Have had Sling since shortly after it came out (2016? I know I was watching the Aggie baseball regional on Sling that year while in N Carolina). Only complaint is that during popular events the feed will get choppy or go out altogether -- most recently during the NCAAM tournament.

Anything that is broadcast on ESPN, I just watch through WatchESPN using my Sling credentials, but can sometimes have the same problem there (most recently during the Alabama/Georgia nat'l championship game).

Overall mostly satisfied for the price. Haven't tried the others.
Sex Panther
AG
Had Sling for a while, but I think it sucks. It's dirt cheap but you get what you pay for. The feed was constantly screwing up.

I have Vue now and I pretty much love it. Get all the channels I want and it just seems so much easier and less cluttered than having 1000's of channels. When I go home to my parents I almost get anxiety trying to figure out and sort through their Direct TV set up.

The only issue I have is the DVR is a little frustrating as shows disappear after a certain amount of time? That's really my only complaint. I think the Youtube one works better in that regard, but I don't know anyone who has it.
TennAg
Vue.

Try it free for a week and see the pros and cons for yourself. But it's the best.
Madmarttigan
AG
Directv now is a l**** pos
fletch01
AG
My biggest issue, being a Houston sports fan, has been finding a streaming option for AT&T Sportsnet. Does anyone know a streaming service that offers that channel?
AGinHI
AG
Vue
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
The Collective
AG
tv1113 said:

Directv now is a l**** pos

Agree. I switched over to it, because I get a discount since I am an AT&T Unlimited customer, and I hate it.
Max Power
AG
Been using PS Vue for a year now and I'm a fan. Depending on where you live in the US that will impact whether you can stream the local channels or not, if you can't you just need to get an HD Antenna. Can't say I miss paying between double and triple for the same channels. Until one of these carriers can get a handle on a la carte channels it's the best fit for us. We use Amazon Fire Sticks for our TV's.

If you are considering a switch here's my recommendation. The streaming carriers all offer a week for free. Take one of your TVs and use it exclusively with a streaming provider. If you do that for a week you'll see how easy a transition it is. After that call your cable/satellite provider and cancel service.

The nice thing about the streaming carriers is there's no contract so if you ever switch and figure out it isn't for you then you can just leave and have no financial impact on going back.
Gigem314
AG
We use Vue and we're very happy with it. The new interface on Roku is great.

Picture quality is better than what we were getting with DISH, and my bill is cut in half.

The guide is simple to use, and it's easy to add a show on the dvr.

And the nice thing is, if we want to end our subscription, we can do it with the click of a button and not have to deal with customer service like the cable/satellite companies. We downgraded to the basic package after football season because we really don't need all the extra channels, but we'll upgrade again in September.

It's nice being more in control of the content that I want...instead of having to pay more than double all year for content that I don't use.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
I have YouTube TV and I love it
HvilleAggie
AG
another vote for Vue
rynning
AG
There was a thread on the Nerdery a while back: https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2886643

I also tried Sling TV and YouTube TV, but thought Vue was the best. (Using it with AppleTV 4th and 5th generations.) For the $45 package, you get all "standard" cable channels, all the locals, and all the sports channels, including ESPN, SEC Network, Fox Sports regionals, and NBC Sports.
agracer
AG
DTV Now has a free fireTV or Apple TV4K if you pay 3-months in advance (3 x $35=$105).

So maybe try it for free for 7-days, then cancel, then sign up for the Fire TV or Apple TV option if you like it.

I have it on my Fire TV and it's been fine so far. Guide is up/down and does not roll over (so you have to go back across every channel you just checked) which is annoying.

I had PS Vue and it was good, but they kept raising the price to the point where it was almost as much as cable so I canceled after college football was done.
iceman08
AG
I've had Vue for... A year and a half? It's not perfect but I much prefer it over just about everyone else

I don't see myself switching from it for a good while, I have the additional $10 a month sports package, mainly for NFL Redzone
CoolaidWade
AG
Been using Hulu Live with TV for a few months and like it.

It has some cons however. Mainly the interface isn't a traditional TV guide grid so that takes getting use too. But it wasn't as big a deal as I thought because I don't watch TV like I use too.... As in I don't just flip through channels anymore. I know exactly what I want to watch and this interface is actually better for that. The next upgrade will change it to a more traditional grid interface anyway.

The other big con is the price. The default price of $40/month only gives you 50 hrs of DVR and no fast forward. You have to pay to get 200 hrs and the ability to fast forward. It only took about a week to see that I need to fast forward.

So all together with no commercials and the expanded DVR i'm paying $60/month. Still better then DirectTV but when I looked at Vue and the packages I would need it's about the same price. I watch a ton of the CBS sports channel (during football season) and thats on a pretty high tier package with VUE.

YoutubeTV doesn't have the Travel/Cooking channels. Which are literally the only two channels I like to watch just for noise in the background.

Hulu doesn't have AMC but not a big deal after I quit The Walking Dead this season. I'm good with waiting for it on netflix.
Yellerjacket
If you're going to be watching more than a couple of TVs simultaneously, Vue is your only option.
We have 5 TVs and we now use Vue, Netflix and Hulu. All of that plus our internet costs less than Directv alone before.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I've used all three of Sling, PSVue, and YoutubeTV. I'm currently on YoutubeTV.

PSVue was definitely the best out of these three options. Sling is just too limited and I experienced choppiness in my feed a lot more than the others. PSVue was easily the most consistent viewing experience for me, but you're going to experience some buffering on all of them (especially during live sporting events). While the time spent buffering is pretty similar comparing PSVue and YoutubeTV, the quality of the picture seemed more consistent through PSVue. The reason I'm sticking with YoutubeTV is because I was able to get locked in to YoutubeTV at the $35/mo rate for pretty much the same channel lineup as the $45/mo PSVue package, but this promotion is no longer ongoing.
Forum Troll
AG
I had PS Vue for a while and switched to DirecTV Now once Vue raised their prices (and Vue still had a terrible interface on Roku). We have a Roku 4k and have had zero complaints about DirecTV Now. I never have more than 2 streams so this may be an issue if you want to have 3 or more TVs all on at the same time.

There are no streaming services that offer ATT Sports Houston. So if you want Rockets or Astros, get MLB.TV or NBA season pass and set up a VPN/DNS when you watch the games. I used expressVPN (installs new firmware on router and easy on/off for the VPN) and have been watching Astros this season on MLB.TV app on Roku.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

So all together with no commercials and the expanded DVR i'm paying $60/month. Still better then DirectTV
Quote:

We have 5 TVs and we now use Vue, Netflix and Hulu. All of that plus our internet costs less than Directv alone before.
How much were some of you paying for DTV?

I have DirecTV and ATT package. It's $102 for TV, Internet and Phone...that's taxes & everything for 250+ channels (everything but the movie channels).

boy09
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I paid $155/mo for Dish before cutting the cord.
CoolaidWade
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

So all together with no commercials and the expanded DVR i'm paying $60/month. Still better then DirectTV
Quote:

I have DirecTV and ATT package. It's $102 for TV, Internet and Phone...that's taxes & everything for 250+ channels (everything but the movie channels).

For DirecTV I had a two year contract for $70/month. I cancelled and picked up Hulu right at the end of my contract before it went up to $120/ month.

I did try and negotiate again but the best they could do was $70ish again and for only six months. If they are only offering that then Hulu just makes more sense. I'm paying $60 now with the option to drop it to $40 at will.

Honestly I was expecting a better rate with DirecTVs retention department but they weren't willing to work with me. And this was with threatening to end it which I did.
AgGrad99
AG
I used to have Uverse, who I loved, but their rates went sky high. They gave me a great rate to switch to DTV, so I did. A year later, they dropped my rate even more.

I look around, and Spectrum has an internet and cable package for $89 a month (and that's not their cheapest package). It includes DVR, etc. I have something similar with DirectTV right now. Even if I can save a few bucks, Im typically giving up something (a couple local channels, some sports channels, DVR functionality, etc).

I want to go streaming, but the cost just doesnt justify it yet. And I feel like I'm just changing which cord I get service through, not really cutting the cord.

I do like these threads though, because i can keep up with what's going on, and who likes what...because at some point, when the scales tilt a bit more, I expect to make the change.
Yellerjacket
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I had the Genie with 5 TVs, so each reciever had a cost per month. We were paying over $180/month for it. On top of that, we were paying $100/month for internet.
Now, with PSVue, Netflix and Hulu combined with our internet, we are paying around $160/month and have a lot more options to watch. Not to mention all of the content on the other free channels we get on the Roku.
Sapper Redux
I was paying around $110 a month for Dish with HBO. I've got the top PSVue package on Roku. So I'm spending about $75 a month with HBO and Showtime. There's a couple hiccups. The lack of local channels is sometimes a drawback, but not enough to justify switching. I get CBS at least, so I have the SEC games. Otherwise I love having PSVue.
Rocagnante
AG
Been using Sling but about to drop it. Unless you enjoy staring at spinning circles as channels/shows are loading, I would not use it. Literally have to restart my AppleTV 1/2 the time to get Sling to load. Netflix and Amazon Prime work well on the same device.
rynning
AG
Anyone else have a problem with the DirecTV Now commercial in which the young lady destroys her boyfriend's property by throwing it out a second story window?
Rocagnante
AG
Yes. How does the guitar not break?
GrayMatter
AG
I'd suggest getting an android box of some sort that would hard wire it to your internet. You really a get a feel for the app you are using while watching programming on your TV . A lot of times people get crappy feeds because they're relying on wireless internet to connect to the app.

I have both a Roku and an android box and my box almost never cuts out.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
bobinator
AG
Fogburn95 said:

Yes. How does the guitar not break?
I don't get why he doesn't just catch it. He's so close.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.