Elvis Presley: The Searcher (HBO)

1,228 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by beanbean
DG-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP - couldn't find another thread...

Ran across this 2-part documentary over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Great old footage and lots of interesting info. Was always a fan but really wasn't aware much of how Col. Tom Parker kind of screwed him around putting him in all those corny movies and pretty much de-railing for a time at least his progress as a musical artist. I highly recommend.
95_Aggie
AG
The fact that Parker wouldn't let him tour internationally was a surprise to me.
DG-Ag
AG
AGnCS said:

The fact that Parker wouldn't let him tour internationally was a surprise to me.
Yeah and they said it at least partially had to do with Parker not being an American citizen and worried about not being let back into the country. Had no idea. Googled it and Parker was born in the Netherlands. Interesting.
PLUM LOCO
AG
The 50/50 split the Col. received was probably the worst management deal in the history of music and I have seen many.

Elvis was just to dang nice and naive to end the relationship. He may have been around a lot longer if the Col. was not involved.

Aggie12B
AG
I watched this with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it.
and oh yeah,
Col. Parker was a WORLDCLASS SLIMEBALL who was ONLY interested in squeezing every last cent he possibly could out of Elvis!
walton91
Watched this over the weekend, absolutely fantastic. I toured Graceland in Feb so this was a great companion piece to fill in a lot of details. Honestly, I've never been much of a fan. He was/is my mom's favorite, so I couldn't possibly like my moms music, right? Plus my only personal recollections of him (I'm 49) are at the end, the "fat" Elvis, "prescription drugs" Elvis. I had always written him off as a punchline, a joke after the 50's. Today I picked up a copy of "From Elvis in Memphis" on vinyl after watching this doc. He was so much more of an artist than I ever gave him credit for. It's incredibly sad that he either didn't have, or didn't feel like he had, control over his own career.
walton91
AGnCS said:

He was the biggest pop/rock star...ever and he never left the country (except for his Army service). That is insane! Probably the only thing more insane is the (arguably) greatest pop star ever has a huge 7-8 year hole in the prime of his career because he was making 2-3 cheesy movies every year. Could you imagine Springsteen doing the same from say '76-'84?
Ag 11
AG
I didn't know this was out. I was at Graceland yesterday. I'm definitely watching this when I get back home
beanbean
This all gave me a huge new appreciation for Elvis. I just always though of him as teen heart throb, cheesy movie actor, and fat drugged out Elvis. The sound track was great for this too with some amazing songs I've never heard.

This performance is amazing to me...

PLUM LOCO
AG
This song cuts to the core. It was recorded slightly after his and Pricilla's separation and you can feel the absolute pain in his voice.

beanbean
Great song right here too...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.