Conan in Italy

1,985 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by texasaggie04
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to make a thread in case some of y'all missed the genius that was this special.

Jordan Schlansky bits on Conan are easily the funniest things on tv, and these are all hilarious. This guy is not a character whatsoever, all these are unscripted, and he finally manages to laugh, several times. (Probably because he is in Italy.)

Seriously, watch all of these. But wine tasting is the funniest.

chipotle
LOL...the ketchup
bigjag19
AG
I don't care for Conan generally, but had it on last night. The yelling random Italian foods at people was spectacular.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good God.

3 William 56
AG
I used to love Conan, but haven't watched in a while. For some reason I decided to watch this episode and thought it was great.

For those that may watch more regularly, was this a one off or should I be giving him another chance?
Counterpoint
AG
3 William 56 said:

I used to love Conan, but haven't watched in a while. For some reason I decided to watch this episode and thought it was great.

For those that may watch more regularly, was this a one off or should I be giving him another chance?
I love Conan, but all of his "trips to foreign country" episodes are especially great.

chipotle
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Good God.

I made it 3 minutes. I want to round house that guy in the throat. I'm not a bad person. I'm not a bad person.
Apache
AG
Conan, what is best in Italy?

Crush the Gelato, see the Vespas driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the regazza.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Jordan Schlansky bits on Conan are easily the funniest things on tv,
A lot of their conversations are inane, but sometimes it gives me an uncomfortable level of pleasure to watch Conan sitting with him in the office, calmly ripping apart someone he knows fairly well. You know Conan wishes he could do this to guests.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quad Dog
AG
I've said it before, but Conan should just give up late night and do a weird, awkward travel show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This would be awesome.
AggieOO
He's at his best when he's doing the travel episodes.
KidDoc
AG
I enjoy Conan's features- the travel & clueless gamer- but the whole night time talk show/advertisement is so worn out and boring so I just catch up on youtube.

Thanks for the heads up on these!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
israeliag
AG
These are great. THe Schlansky- Conan dynamic is terrific and this setup paid off on its potential. Schlansky's ability to play the straight man is incredible. Even his few breaks in the car (which you never see him break) work for the bit.
israeliag
AG
Quad Dog said:

I've said it before, but Conan should just give up late night and do a weird, awkward travel show.

Absolutely. Or combine the two - a sort of Dave Letterman's My Next Guest meets Bourdain where Conan and a celebrity conduct "an interview" as they explore a destination.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seeing as how successful these trips have been (Haiti, Italy, etc.), I bet they make it a pretty regular thing going forward. A few per year at the very least.
Liquid Wrench
He went through some renegotiations with TBS in the last 2 years (I think?) that involved discussion of the show format. My guess is they agreed to let him do more stuff like this if he was going to keep doing the show. It was strongly implied that he was bored doing the same old talk format.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The entire part on the train. (Start at 2:30)

"Human soil."
aggiedata
AG
Hard to believe Conan is the funniest late night TV host, but it's true.

..it's a very low bar.
texasaggie04
AG
I think where Conan truly excels is when he can get out in the streets and improv. Some of the bits from the shows in Texas and New York are just as funny.

That said, this is probably my favorite Conan clip in history.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.