***Barry Season 1***

16,710 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I f***ing love Chris Marquette

Just Friends. Girl Next Door. Fan Boys.
Brick Tamland
The dude who killed all the Bolivians is insane.

"**** YEAH!"
"This isn't a high five moment"

My wife and I knew Barry wouldn't kill him
Bunk Moreland
This might just be my new favorite show on tv. What an ending
OldArmy71
AG
All of the acting is excellent, but the woman playing the cop is doing a terrific job.
Bunk Moreland
And Winkler. Their chemistry is great.
OldArmy71
AG
Yes, he's killing it too. But he ain't "47"!
Counterpoint
AG
OldArmy71 said:

But he ain't "47"!

See? That was great acting!
LHIOB
AG
The mobsters are so great

Really liking this show. Its so different.
Al Bula
AG
Bummer this only an 8 episode series this year. Wonder if season 2 will be longer?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That ending.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Whomever is the director is amazing. So many great shots in that last episode.
TCTTS
AG
Hiro Murai. Directs most of the Atlanta episodes. Dude is blowing up and is going to be a major talent here before long.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I totally see that now.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Speaking of Hiro, he just directed the music video for Donald Glover's newest song.
Counterpoint
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Speaking of Hiro, he just directed the music video for Donald Glover's newest song.
That video is epic.
Max Power
AG
The bald Chechen is awesome, he steals every scene he's in. His texts make me laugh too. The bullet delivery text in particular was great. I'll keep watching.

Hope this show works out for Hader, I think he should be in more tv/film than he is, he's crazy talented and funny.
TCTTS
AG
Holy sh*t that was dark and amazing.
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

Holy sh*t that was dark and amazing.
Loved it.

How dark can a dark comedy be and still be a comedy?
Thunder18
AG
This show is killer and really nails the balance of dark gritty violence and comic relief.

The last episode really encompassed that perfectly...the phone conversation between Goran and Hector about 'The Four Agreements', followed by the police breakdown of that call and how it went on for 10 minutes afterwords, Hank's phone conversation with Fuchs, and obviously the scene between Barry and Chris in the car, and how it affected Barry afterwards.

Really well done, IMO.
LHIOB
AG
Bill Hader is taking his game to the next level.

Really like this show and the world they have created. The combination of dark comedy, drama and a little bit of slapstick really seems to work.
InternetFan02
AG
I'm amazed at how this show is playing out. This is truly prestige TV crammed into 27 minutes. I got a Vince Gilligan vibe at the opening scene with the John Denver song.

At this point what's the elevator pitch? Breaking Bad but as a dark comedy crossed with Tarantino and LaLa Land?

I never watched Dexter but as i was describing the show to a friend he said it sounds like Dexter.

TCTTS how authentic is the whole acting class culture as they are presenting it? Is the Henry winkler character based on a real person?
InternetFan02
AG
Barry is great at killing but he hates it
Barry loves acting but he's horrible at it
Barry tries to suppress his emotions to cope with the killing
Barry hits a breaking point with the killing and as his emotions come out he becomes a better actor
Jason_Ag98
AG
This show has quickly become one of my favorites - I'm really bummed that there's only one episode left this season but can't wait to see how it ends. There are several great performances in the show - I really loved the scene where Barry's friend is sitting in the car talking about going to the cops and then realizes he's sitting right next to a professional killer who does not want to get exposed. Really great stuff.
Trident 88
AG
After last night's episode, this is officially my favorite series on TV right now.

It's "Breaking Good". I was totally devoid of sympathy for Walt by the end of B.B. Conversely, I'm really hoping it all ends well for Barry years from now when they wrap this up.
OldArmy71
AG
As much as I like Barry, he has crossed a line.

Earlier, he didn't want to kill Taylor because "he's a Marine" and once you do that, "Where does it end?" The use of the play Macbeth reinforces this idea. As Macbeth is deciding to kill MacDuff, he says that he has waded into a river or lake of blood so far that it is just as easy to keep going as to go back.

The passage the girlfriend is enacting reinforces the same idea: Macbeth says that he has spent so much time doing horrible things that the screams he has heard off-stage (indicating the death of his wife) do not frighten him at all.

Barry has killed someone who just saved his life, someone with a wife and child. He is haunted by it, but he did it in an act of pure self-interest. He had a choice, and sacrificed his friend to save himself.
Trident 88
AG
Barry told his friend (and therefore, the audience) that the Chechnyans would make sure they ALL ended up dead, including his wife and kid, if he spilled his guts to the police.

Regardless of whether or not he had thought it through correctly or was being dishonest with himself, he did what he felt he had to do.
israeliag
AG
Max Power said:

The bald Chechen is awesome, he steals every scene he's in. His texts make me laugh too. The bullet delivery text in particular was great.

He really does. So a great character and the actor couldn't be more perfect. I can see it being a situation where they fully intended to kill the character but after seeing the actor just crush it they find a way to (rightfully) keep him around.

Everytime he talks I think of this classic viral video from before videos could truly go viral:
bobinator
AG
NoHo Hank absolutely kills it every scene. It would also be really easy for that character to get annoying and over the top, but I think the actor (Anthony Carrigan apparently) absolutely nails it.

It's the small lines that really make the difference. "Is that from the four agreements? Such a great book..."

And like y'all said, the texts are amazing.
LHIOB
AG
He has just enough of a part where its not over the top. I get excited every time he shows up because I know its going to be great.
k20dub
AG
LHIOB said:

He has just enough of a part where its not over the top. I get excited every time he shows up because I know its going to be great.
Came here to post the exact same thing. Favorite character on tv right now.
Max Power
AG
This show just keeps getting better to me. A lot of shows take a while to figure out what they are, I think Barry already knows what it is, which makes it that much better.

By dealing with dark subject matter in a very different way it's just a fun show. When the Bolivians could hear the crew coming by way of Pantera being cranked to 11 while driving down the runway, yet showing no emotion, then blasting the car, I was just rolling. It was almost an Arrested Development level of nonsense with Bill Hader trying to get him to stop, but Taylor was dead set on bum rushing.

I don't know why something so stupid like the Chechens making fun of the Bolivians for being short is so funny to me, but it makes me laugh every time. It's a dumb height joke, but on this show they have me laughing. It's just kind of perfect.
LHIOB
AG
k20dub said:

LHIOB said:

Came here to post the exact same thing. Favorite character on tv right now.

Its similar to the feeling I got when Jonah would come visit the Veeps office in the early seasons of Veep. You knew something amazing was going to happen.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
LHIOB
AG
The number of truely awesome characters on HBO shows is mind blowing

Sure Netflix, FX, AMC and Amazon have great material but if you named the top 50 characters in the last 20 years how many would be from HBO?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
*******, this show is good.

Took a serious dark turn this week, and I loved it. I don't know if I've ever seen a show that can do both comedy and drama THIS well, other than maybe Breaking Bad.

And goes without saying that Hader is killing this role.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.