***Barry Season 1***

16,732 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RPM said:

Rewatched tonight. Almost thought it could be a day dream if not for Janice having the flashback in the office. Not sure how they write their way out of that. Unless he offed Gene too.
In the on demand version they talked about doing that on purpose to try and leave some doubt in people's minds when they were watching.

As for the show overall, I liked it, but I had a hard time feeling much sympathy for Barry...the show careened from comedy to slice of life to irony to sympathy to drama. Barry was good, bad, tortured, stuck, lovelorn, ruthless, evil etc. Was kind of all over the map and sometimes made it hard to know how you were supposed to feel watching some of the pivotal scenes. Took away some of the enjoyment,
Seven Costanza
AG
The guy that plays Goran is incredible with accents. He has become an HBO regular.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I had a hard time feeling much sympathy for Barry...the show careened from comedy to slice of life to irony to sympathy to drama. Barry was good, bad, tortured, stuck, lovelorn, ruthless, evil etc. Was kind of all over the map and sometimes made it hard to know how you were supposed to feel watching some of the pivotal scenes. Took away some of the enjoyment

The acting on this show was superb, but I agree completely with the above quote.

I LIKED that detective. Barry blows her away to preserve himself. Where does that stop? Gene? The girlfriend?

That would be very cheesy if it was a dream, but I hope it was.
astros4545
AG
Seven Costanza said:

The guy that plays Goran is incredible with accents. He has become an HBO regular.

True Detective
Barry
Billions (Showtime)
Boardwalk Empire
The Night Of
Waco (Paramount)

Pretty impressive and extremely different characters
Cancelled
AG
I just finished the season. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Extremely dark, but I like dark. I can't wait until season 2. I don't think they call pull off a season 3.
Sazerac
AG
Enjoyable .
Great secondary characters.
Gap
AG
I just recently finished this. It was absolutely fantastic. The most enjoyable watch of the year for me. So original. It has so many characters you were wanting to see on screen. I was always looking forward to the next episode.
expresswrittenconsent
Gap said:

I just recently finished this. It was absolutely fantastic. The most enjoyable watch of the year for me. So original. It has so many characters you were wanting to see on screen. I was always looking forward to the next episode.

Agree completely. Watched it last week and loved it.

I "usually" watch HBO stuff via cable/DVR but was travelling and watched via roku and I really enjoyed the little 2 minute "about the episode" with Hader and Berg after each episode.
Sex Panther
AG
Binged this show today and man was it great. Echo everyone's sentiments, especially Noho Hank. Maybe the funniest character on tv right now.

This caused the hardest laughter I've had in a long time:

PatAg
AG
Random bump, but I rewatched this again over the holidays. I dont know how many of you watched Gotham, I stopped sometime in season 1 or 2 I think (Fish Mooney is the worst thing to ever appear on screen). A few us were sure that the guy playing Victor Zsasza was going to start appearing in more things, he was so threatening/great in that role. Now I see him in this as Noho Hank and he's amazing in a completely different kind of role.

also, I can't believe someone said Scrubs sucked and wasn't shunned.
Counterpoint
AG
PatAg said:

also, I can't believe someone said Scrubs sucked and wasn't shunned.
I ignored the comment and pretended it never happened. Does that count as shunning?
GreasenUSA
AG
Well that was certainly worth it. On to season 2 now.
Punked Shank
AG
queso1 said:

I just finished the season. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Extremely dark, but I like dark. I can't wait until season 2. I don't think they call pull off a season 3.

Bill hader and the other writer have proven this idea wrong. Theyve been able to write themselves out of crazy situations. Watching interviews they seem to write themselves knowingly into corners and enjoy working out of them. Great show. Cant wait for season 3. And hopefully a season 4
double aught
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

This show is so awesome. Noho Hank kills it. The bitmoji that said "Gulp" was a nice touch.
Late to the party here, I know. But I have two young kids, ok? Trying my best.

I'm really enjoying this so far. That gulp bitmoji had me rolling.
Sex Panther
AG
What's going on with this show? Feels like it last aired three years ago
TCTTS
AG
They were about start shooting season three when the pandemic hit. That said, during the pandemic, they went ahead and wrote all of season four, are now finally filming season three as we speak, and I imagine will turn around shoot season four fairly soon after. My guess is season three will air summer or fall, then hopefully we get season four sometime during the first half of 2022.
Sex Panther
double aught
AG
Just finished season 1. What a ride. Some shocking moments the last few episodes.
BusterAg
AG
James Root rocks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Hey Nav
AG
If you like Barry, check out Mr Inbetween (from Australia).

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/mr-inbetween

Very well done comedy about a hitman and his relationship with his ex and his daughter.

Happy to hear there will be a season 3.

CW Griswold
-
NoHo Hank
AG
TCTTS said:

They were about start shooting season three when the pandemic hit. That said, during the pandemic, they went ahead and wrote all of season four, are now finally filming season three as we speak, and I imagine will turn around shoot season four fairly soon after. My guess is season three will air summer or fall, then hopefully we get season four sometime during the first half of 2022.

expresswrittenconsent
Hader has said this in multiple different media appearances over the last month. I bet we get s3 pretty soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.