Wild Wild Country Netflix Docuseries

13,989 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pahdz
tylercsbn9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wow.

All I can really say. What an amazing 6 part docuseries
TX AG 88
AG
Do tell!
tylercsbn9
AG
Crazy cult from Oregon that over took a small town and tried to over take a county via a bio attack.

Also conspired to kill a Reagan appointee.
Sex Panther
AG
Wasn't aware of this, but I read about this cult around a year ago. Had never heard of it, and it was absolutely bananas. Way crazier than the Branch Davidians... Really looking forward to the documentary and learning more.
Redstone
AG
The proper name for Koresh's group was Students of the Seals. Branch Davidians, which still exist, consider Koresh to have been an interloper and thief (with a very good case).

The order of breakaway was :
Apostolic (Catholic / Orthodox) - Anglican - Low Anglican / Methodist (Wesley did not want to breakaway) - Baptist - Adventist - Seventh-Day Adventist - Shepherd's Rod - Branch Davidian - Students of the Seven Seals
Ghost91
Thanks, OP. I love stuff like this. Looks like a good one to watch while on the treadmill.
Bunk Moreland
I'm trying my hardest not to Google anything as I watch this.

The Duplass Brothers (one is in The League & one in Transparent) made this. Netflix has signed a deal with them for their next 4 films.
Gil Renard
AG
Amazing series. It's incredible
West Point Aggie
AG
A most excellent series...
Ag_07
AG
2 episodes down...These fools are nuts.

And I love how the Rajneeshes they're interviewing think that what all went down was just typical everyday stuff like 'What's so crazy about what we were doing?'

And where the hell was Bhagwan when all this was happening?

Can't wait to get into the rest of this stuff.
Bunk Moreland
Very well done. They easily could have turned it into 5 episodes instead of 6 but I'm not complaining. I have seen and heard about Osho before but never knew about all this.
amercer
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I love how the Rajneeshes they're interviewing think that what all went down was just typical everyday stuff like 'What's so crazy about what we were doing?'

I'm two episodes in as well and I kind of side with Rajneeshes at this point. I do get the feeling **** is about to take a wild turn, but the townies seem like dicks so far.
West Point Aggie
AG
amercer said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm two episodes in as well and I kind of side with Rajneeshes at this point. I do get the feeling **** is about to take a wild turn, but the townies seem like dicks so far.

The townies reacted just like ANY one would if invaded...which is what that cult did...and Sheela is one nasty rhymes with punt
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Like someone on the doc said...Is it legal? Yeah sure. Is it right? No

And yes..Get through the next episode and see if that's where you stand.

I still can't believe this stuff and pretty surprised I've never heard of this until now.
Silky Johnston
I get that they were annoying and different, but what was the main issue with this group other than being weird? The town people keep comparing them to Hitler and saying they are running a concentration camp, but I haven't seen any reason why someone would believe that.

Other than the guy finding some damning documents in the trash, were they aware of anything actually illegal taking place? Not defending them, just curious.
Bunk Moreland
I think before they started clashing and "going to war" with each other, the townies felt like they had created and lived in a quiet community in the middle of nowhere, specifically to be in the middle of nowhere and away from noise/people...and this cult came in under misleading or downright false pretenses of being agrarians who want to just live and exist on this property as one, and immediately started building a city on the property.

That brings noise and trucks and buildings and traffic people wondering what's going on...all things that aren't the actual weirdos themselves. It was an invasion on their way of life...and that makes the "right or wrong" thing hard to decide.

Once they started stacking the deck of the council and buying up properties in town, then it' was all out war because not only was their way of life changing, but now their physical town.
amercer
AG
West Point Aggie said:

amercer said:

Ag_07 said:

The townies reacted just like ANY one would if invaded...which is what that cult did...and Sheela is one nasty rhymes with punt

I've got no doubt that Sheela is crazy as hell. In the first episode when she was describing how she got promoted to secretary I was thinking "I bet that other girls body got chopped up and feed to some tigers or some *****.. "

Still, to this point, it does seem like if the Rajneeshes had been left alone they wouldn't have bothered anyone. The only started buying up Antelope after they were blocked in the courts from building their own city. (And I'm guessing that lawsuit was the first and last "environmentalist" cause for all of those locals)

Plus the concern that it was a Satan dearth cult or something seem crazy at the beginning. This dude was a well known spiritual leader not some end of days preacher. He's basically an Indian Joel Olsteen (with more crazy sex stuff) . I'm sure if Joel bought a huge piece of land in Germany and decided to build a city that the locals would be pissed, but no one would be telling the press that they were worried about another Jonestown.

Anyway, I'm fascinated to see how it turns out and I'm sure the Rajneeshes will end up being the bad guys. Still the locals remind me of people I knew growing up who would label anything wired or different as "satanic" and then loudly threaten to blow people's heads off to "protect our way of life"
AirplaneAg09
AG
Your thought process is incredibly similar to mine as I was binge watching this earlier this week. All I can say is, keep watching.

I was blown away by the series, and have been blabbing about it to friends and family the past few days.
beanbean
This documentary is amazing. What a story.
JYDog90
AG
I just started part 4 and I'm surprised at how contentious and provocative Sheela is. What's really interesting to me is that she never seemed to really buy in to all the stuff. Everyone else speaks so experientially and apart from the first episode where she said she felt like her head melted into his chest, there's no pictures or descriptions of her in whacked out meditation.
MookieBlaylock
AG
It's been boring as he'll thru 1 episode

What am I missing?
Teddy Perkins
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

It's been boring as he'll thru 1 episode

What am I missing?

I just finished 3 and hope this picks up steam soon. I'm not on the edge of my seat yet and have been on the verge of dozing off a few times.
Bunk Moreland
it's definitely a slow and deliberate pace so if you're not interested enough in the subject matter with the current pace, it won't get any better for you.
rynning
AG
I saw this while flipping through Netflix, and it kept my attention enough to watch the whole "trailer." I'll be checking it out after reading this thread. Thanks.
Leggo My Elko
AG
It moves way way to slow.
Psychag
AG
Sheena is very charismatic, if not somewhat overbearing.
JYDog90
AG
I finished it last night. You could knock me over with a feather. My wife took a bunch of YoungLife kids up to that place last summer. It's now a YL camp!
Psychag
AG
OK, Sheela (not Sheena-dang autocorrect) is Narcistic for sure.
Big Cat `93
AG
First two episodes in and I'm wondering where the money came from to build that place. I assume that comes up later. Or maybe I just missed it, which is a distinct possibility.

Was not expecting to see Bill Bowerman in this.
Bunk Moreland
While they don't explicitly take time to answer the question about how they funded it, you're able to deduce it quite easily during different parts of the series...

but basically...the convert's own money + merch + swami book sales.
KidDoc
AG
Wow what an amazing documentary. I was a preteen at the time and have no memory of this event and it really feels like fiction it is so bizarre. I'm amazed the government resolved it without violence. It is also am excellent illustration of how crazy educated people can become in group think situations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Big Cat `93
AG
Wow. Busing in thousands of homeless people came back and bit them in the butt. What are the odds?
Anti-taxxer
AG
willie wonka said:

I just started part 4 and I'm surprised at how contentious and provocative Sheela is. What's really interesting to me is that she never seemed to really buy in to all the stuff. Everyone else speaks so experientially and apart from the first episode where she said she felt like her head melted into his chest, there's no pictures or descriptions of her in whacked out meditation.

I think she said in the first episode that she wasn't interested in the meditation. I think she just really loved the power. She is a crazy, crazy *****.
Redstone
AG
The townspeople did not have to take the money and split. They could have kept the town.

The councilman should not have been snooping in the town dump (and yes the compound was wrong to not have shredded the documents).

I would have liked to have seen more about the anti-Indian sentiment amongst the "natives," as well as the pretty clear prejudices against Eastern spirituality.
titanmaster_race
I kind of liked the Rajneeshi lawyer from the interviews at first, but as the series went on he became a huge *******.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.