*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,621 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgfromHOU said:

There's a fan theory on Reddit that Tenet is a sequel to Inception

If that were true, I'd be even more sad about no Zimmer.
hunter2012
AG
I could see it, only that it's spies using the dream sharing tech and not thieves... I've thought for a while that there's potential for more stories in the Inception verse.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
For the record, I do not believe that Tenet is a sequel to Inception. I think, at best, there could MAYBE be one or two tiny clues here and there that it's set in the same world (an off-handed mention of Saito's company or something like that), but that's about it. Either way, I think the Inception dream tech and the Tenet time travel tech are going to end up being very different things.

That said, the marketing is already eerily similar. The vibe of the respective teaser trailers, the release strategy of the respective teaser trailers, the vibe of the respective websites at launch, the respective log lines, etc., are almost identical. Whether that's because the movies are in any way related - or - whether it's because the marketing strategy for a similarly high concept Nolan blockbuster worked once, so why do anything different - remains to be seen.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Unless I catch it from the beginning I can never watch Inception when it's on TV because I can't ever remember what the heck is going on.
ChimbosAg
AG
Just rewatched inception, I feel like every time I watch it I understand more, but yet I still come away wondering whether it ended in a dream or not. That's the beauty of that film
PatAg
AG
Would Nolan be involved with cutting/creating these teasers and trailers? Or are directors in general involved in them? I never actually looked into that before.
ChimbosAg
AG
* Memento review help *
Ok I decided to go ahead and watch this to get a better grasp of Nolan's earlier work. Nolan uses flashbacks and unique time thrilling stories I'm both inception and Memento. I guess this is where we get the assumption of time travel for Tenet? (Also the teaser trailer)

It is definitely a movie that would help to watch multiple times due to the interwoven timeline, but what do you all make of it? What are your perspectives on the end of the movie and what really happened in Memento?

For those who haven't seen Memento I'd encourage it, it was a mind boggling movie that kept you guessing and also did a fantastic job of putting you in the lead characters shoes, or his series of thoughts.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ChimbosAg said:

* Memento review help *
Ok I decided to go ahead and watch this to get a better grasp of Nolan's earlier work. Nolan uses flashbacks and unique time thrilling stories I'm both inception and Memento. I guess this is where we get the assumption of time travel for Tenet? (Also the teaser trailer)

It is definitely a movie that would help to watch multiple times due to the interwoven timeline, but what do you all make of it? What are your perspectives on the end of the movie and what really happened in Memento?

For those who haven't seen Memento I'd encourage it, it was a mind boggling movie that kept you guessing and also did a fantastic job of putting you in the lead characters shoes, or his series of thoughts.

It's just that a lot of Nolan's movies use time as an enemy concept. Memento, Inception, Dunkirk, Interstellar.

TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

Would Nolan be involved with cutting/creating these teasers and trailers? Or are directors in general involved in them? I never actually looked into that before.

A lot of directors "approve" their trailers, but don't really have a hand (or many times even a say so) in making them. I know David Fincher and Paul Thomas Anderson have cut a lot of their own trailers, and Fincher, in particular, is heavily involved in the editing, music selection, etc. But that's pretty rare. While I know that Nolan is fairly hands on, I think he usually just approves trailers. I know someone who helped cut the Interstellar trailers and they basically presented two or three options to Paramount/Nolan, they chose a version/direction, and then had some notes. So it's somewhat collaborative, and Nolan might even say up front, to the company cutting the trailer(s), "I have [X] idea for this," but I think in most cases the editors cutting the trailers take the first stab, present multiple versions, everyone weighs in, and then they go from there.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, while not confirmed, all indications point to the trailer likely being online in the morning. Hopefully by noon eastern or so. That said, I could see the two mass shootings this weekend potentially delaying release plans. The trailer opens with John David Washington examining bullet holes, and yet, regardless of such a minor similarity (though we've seen releases delayed for less), I can see Warner Bros. - along with other studios - potentially holding back certain news/releases until Tuesday. This would of course be the least possible "inconvenience" imaginable in the wake of the shootings - I'm not all complaining - I'm simply giving a heads up in case it doesn't drop in the morning.
Sex Panther
AG
I still put Memento as his number 2 movie after The Dark Knight, and I think you can make an argument it's his best.
TCTTS
AG
I really need to rewatch Memento. I remember loving it, but I somehow haven't seen it since the theater - which, holy sh*t - was 18 YEARS ago...
PatAg
AG
Was one of my favorite dvd's...remember back when we owned a **** ton of dvd's and would have a bookshelf specifically to display them.
TCTTS
AG
Still going. Keeping my Blu-ray/DVD bookshelf up and stocked as long as humanly possible. They'll have to pry physical media from my cold, dead hands...
schmendeler
AG
sorry, if this has been already posted and I missed it, but is there a clean official online version of the teaser, yet? I don't like to watch bootleg quality stuff and I don't want to read this thread too carefully because I like to go into movies like this as fresh as possible other than watching the first real trailers.
TCTTS
AG
Check my post four posts up. Not yet. Should be soon, though. Hopefully in the next half hour or so, as long as WB hasn't delayed it.
mnuge
AG
Trailer ran in the theater I was at in BCS last night.
Sex Panther
AG
Didn't get it in my Hobbs and Shaw last night
schmendeler
AG
thanks!
TCTTS
AG
So the prevailing thought was noon eastern (when WB is known to release their trailers). Seeing as that has now come and gone, who knows. I'm afraid it's been delayed...
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

Didn't get it in my Hobbs and Shaw last night
IMAX?
Sex Panther
AG
Nah, Drafthouse
bobinator
AG
This is Nolan man, you're approaching time as a basic concept when time itself could be the subject of this movie. Maybe this movie is Nolan's masterpiece, instead of using time to frame a movie, time itself is the movie.

Therefore, maybe the trailer is actually already out. Maybe it's always been out, and we just can't perceive it yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS
AG
7 PM ET - just under 40 minutes from now - is another popular trailer release time. If it doesn't happen then, I'd guess midnight tonight (either PT or ET), and then if we still don't have it by tomorrow morning, at that point I'm going to assume it really is an IMAX-only exclusive (as was rumored by one person on Thursday, who no one took seriously). We shall see...
Bobcat06
AG
I have a feeling that TCTTS will keep posting potential teaser trailer drop times for the next 2 years until TENET finally has it's DVD release.
TCTTS
AG
aTmAg
AG
ChimbosAg said:

Just rewatched inception, I feel like every time I watch it I understand more, but yet I still come away wondering whether it ended in a dream or not. That's the beauty of that film
I think he's in a dream. I watched a hour long video where a dude made a case and it was quite convincing.

The things I remember from it were several things:

1) When Mal jumped to her death the scene was really weird. Leonardo went into the hotel room and found it trashed, went to the window and then saw Mal seemingly across the street. What kind of hotel room would enable him to look at her through an adjacent window far enough to be across the street? So the point was that he was living a dream, and that dream's don't feel weird when you are living them, but are weird when you think about them after the fact. That's how we in the audience were supposed to feel about that scene.

2) Also, the BWAAAAH sound effect thing they kept playing sounds a lot like the beginning of that french song that they play to wake them up. So it's like we the audience are having that tune played to us while we are sleeping. Also, that song was something like 2:28 minutes, and the real movie 2:28 hours. Implying that we are living a slow ass version of that song.

3) Mal's totem (the top) that Leonardo used was flawed and would give him the mistaken idea that he wasn't in a dream when he really was. Totems are supposed to be something that other people can see but not really know how they work. So for example, something made out of styrofoam but painted like it was steel. When the owner picks it up, he would know it is deceptively light (and how light). Other people who have only seen that, may guess that it should be heavy or a different weight, tipping off the owner that his totem is fake, and therefore he is in a dream. But the top was a bad totem. In real life, tops will always fall. It is easy for somebody to guess that the difference between a real top and a fake top is that the real one would fall and the fake one would not. So the architect of our world would be able to guess his totem and fake him out.

There were more, but I don't remember them all.
TCTTS
AG
I genuinely don't understand why the trailer isn't online at this point. I get Nolan's old school approach with wanting it to be a theater-only experience for opening weekend. In this day and age, it *is* little backwards, as a big portion of the audience who truly cares saw it in bootleg form for the first time, which is literally the opposite of the desired effect Nolan intended. It also would have made more sense if it was with a better movie and not with a rival studio's movie. But whatever. That's Nolan's prerogative. I get it. Then, because of the content in the opening, I understand potentially delaying it 24 hours or so in the wake of the shootings this weekend. But now? There's absolutely no reason the trailer shouldn't be online.

At this point, I can only assume...

- We really will never see it released online. It was truly an IMAX exclusive. If this is the case, the least they could do is confirm as much.

- Maybe the theater exclusivity is for one week, and it's online at some point this Thursday.

- I initially guessed that the first teaser trailer would be with It: Chapter 2 in September, since they're both Warner Bros. movies and the timing made sense. So, maybe a longer teaser trailer debuts online and in theaters a month from now with that movie, and this was merely a tease/sneak peak for that. I've seen similar strategies in the past, so who knows...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm actually surprised if he was gonna do this, he didn't attach it to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Two guys trying to preserve the theater experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.