*** TENET *** (Christopher Nolan)

137,581 Views | 1324 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by utah, get me two
JetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't wait! I hope Hans Zimmer scores this film!
bangobango
AG
Pattinson's career appears to be really taking off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's not.

Already less excited than I normally am.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Ludwig Gransson is doing the score. I've been a fan of the Zimmer/Nolan collaborations, but I am very intrigued about Nolan working with a new composer and seeing what happens there. I think Gransson's Black Panther score is the most memorable in the MCU (save for the Avengers theme). He is also doing the score for The Mandalorian. I think they will come up with something great for this film and am excited about the change.
TCTTS
AG
$225M budget, the second highest of Nolan's career (TDKR was reportedly $250M)...

Quote:

With a reported budget above the $200 million mark, "Tenet" stands to be one of Nolan's most expensive outings to date. Only "The Dark Knight Rises" exceeded the $200 million production budget mark, with Nolan's other projects like "The Dark Knight," "Inception," and "Interstellar" falling in the $150-$180 million range. "Dunkirk" was made in the mid-to-low $100 million range. Most studios would be hesitant to give such a huge budget to an original title, but Nolan has rightfully earned the good will of Warner Bros. over the last decade by making one critical and commercial hit after the next.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/christopher-nolans-tenet-budget-most-expensive-estonia-1202151273/
TCTTS
AG
It still blows my mind that this, Dune, and Top Gun: Maverick are all releasing within six months of each other...
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

It still blows my mind that this, Dune, and Top Gun: Maverick are all releasing within six months of each other...

Maybe you've been Incepted, fall asleep on any planes recently?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
I nerded out big time for this, but I needed to take my mind off writing for a while, and was genuinely curious as to when we can reasonably expect a teaser for Tenet. So, for each of Nolan's films that had a teaser roughly a year out (i.e. his last five films), here are the stats...

THE DARK KNIGHT
Release Date: July 18, 2008
First Teaser: July 27, 2007 (w/ The Simpsons Movie / 20th Century Fox)
= 12 months prior to release of the movie
Start of Filming: April 2, 2007
= 4 months prior to release of the teaser

INCEPTION
Release Date: July 16, 2010
First Teaser: August 21, 2009 (w/ Inglorious Basterds / The Weinstein Company)
= 11 months prior to release of the movie
Start of Filming: June 17, 2009
= 2 months prior to release of the teaser

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
Release Date: July 20, 2012
First Teaser: July 15, 2011 (w/ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 / Warner Bros.)
= 12 months prior to release of the movie
Start of Filming: May 2, 2011
= 2.5 months prior to release of the teaser

INTERSTELLAR
Release Date: November 7, 2014
First Teaser: December 14, 2013 (w/ various Christmas movies)
= 11 months prior to release of the movie
Start of Filming: August 6, 2013
= 4 months prior to release of the teaser

DUNKIRK
Release Date: July 21, 2017
First Teaser: August 4, 2016 (w/ Suicide Squad / Warner Bros.)
= 11.5 months prior to release of the movie
Start of Filming: May 14, 2016
= 3 months prior to release of the teaser

In other words, Nolan teasers debut an average of 11.5 months before the release of his movies, and an average of 3 months after the start of filming.

TENET releases July 17, 2020 and began filming May 22, 2019.

So, going by the averages, this would put TENET's first teaser debuting at some point in August.

However, seeing as Nolan's teasers don't always debut with movies of their respective studios, and there's really only one August release big enough to attach it to, IF precedent holds, here are my guesses as to when we'll see the first teaser...

- July 26 w/ Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (Sony Pictures)
- August 2 w/ Hobbs & Shaw (Universal Pictures)
- September 6 w/ It: Chapter 2 (Warner Bros.)

If I had to bet, I'd say it debuts with It: Chapter 2, seeing as it's a Warner Bros. movie. That saidm there IS also precedent for Nolan debuting a teaser with a Tarantino movie in late summer, so Once Upon a Time In Hollywood isn't out of the question either. Regardless, unless Nolan suddenly breaks the tradition of his past five films, we should be getting our first teaser before Labor Day weekend, which is pretty exciting.
TCTTS
AG
In terms of the length/tone to expect, here are each of the five teasers themselves, in order of release...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The first teaser for TDK got me insanely hyped in the theater. Applause around the theater when the Joker laughed.
tk for tu juan
I keep reading the title as Telnet. Just a two hour movie of checking class capacity thru a text based internet protocol while registering for classes by phone.
hunter2012
AG
The interstellar trailer still gives me chills. I still believe that was Nolan's most ambitious movie...

Also I remember seeing Inception basically blind. That teaser and the trailers after it gave away almost nothing except for the dream machine.
Max Power
AG
hunter2012 said:

The interstellar trailer still gives me chills. I still believe that was Nolan's most ambitious movie...

Also I remember seeing Inception basically blind. That teaser and the trailers after it gave away almost nothing except for the dream machine.
Inception is pretty mind blowing as well considering the layers of conscious and sub-consciousness. Both of them really force you to think about so many things, no matter how many times you watch them.

Adding to all his films, these two in particular, is the score. These could be silent films, with just subtitles and the score, and I would be totally enthralled. The Interstellar score is incredible.

I've seen them both numerous times, I think the cast for Inception is perfect. But when I watch Interstellar I really can't tell if MM was miscast, or perfectly cast. Sometimes he just sticks out, like it should be a different actor, I can't put my finger on it.

I still think The Prestige is highly underrated, I still know numerous people that have never seen it, and it's so, so good. It was one that I didn't catch in the theater but after I rented it, I was all in.
bobinator
AG
I think The Prestige is probably in my top five movies all-time.
hunter2012
AG
I guess the Prestige wasn't widely advertised or I was living under a rock at the time but agreed it is one of Nolan's best woven narratives and I didn't know about it at all until I watched it on Netflix or DVD.

Speaking of which, it goes without saying but anyone reading this threat should see Memento at least once. It seems to be the inspiration for the rest of his movies.
lazuras_dc
AG
Memento and The Prestige were both way ahead of their time.l and in my top movies for sure.
bearamedic99
AG
I still haven't seen Memento and have no idea what it is about. I guess I should remedy that.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
1. Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Insomnia
4. The Prestige
5. Memento
6. Batman Begins
7. Dunkirk
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Interstellar

10. Following (haven't seen)
hunter2012
AG
1. Inception
2. the Dark Knight
3. the Prestige
4. Batman Begins
5. Memento
6. Interstellar
7. Dunkirk
8. Insomnia
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Following (haven't seen this either)

the first 3 are his big three that I believe he was on a hot streak. I should have Memento over Batman Begins but I love batman too much. I also have interstellar better than Dunkirk just because I was impressed with it's reach(even if it didn't quite get there). I have Insomnia lower down because I've only seen it once and watched it late so it didn't really stick with me. I have TDKR last has I could tell Nolan's heart wasn't in this one and there's little bits like a quarter filled stadium for Bane's big entrance, I know Nolan doesn't like CGI where he can help it but filling in a crowd would've been a minimal effort/expense for the budget it got, as it is it's a immersion breaker(or maybe I've been to too many Aggie games).

Since we're all fangirling, here is Christopher Nolan's first published film when he was still in school, Doodlebug.

MGS
hunter2012 said:

I guess the Prestige wasn't widely advertised or I was living under a rock at the time but agreed it is one of Nolan's best woven narratives and I didn't know about it at all until I watched it on Netflix or DVD.

If they would have just titled it The Prestige: Batman vs. Wolverine, it would have made a billion dollars.
Sex Panther
AG
I'd put Memento over all his others minus maybe The Dark Knight
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/hans-zimmer-dune-christopher-nolan-20190716/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Threat title needs to be updated to TEN.

Edit: Ugh, texags can't display special characters. (The "ET" are a backwards E and an upside town T.)

So basically, if you flip the word upside down and backwards, it's the same.
israeliag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So basically, if you flip the word upside down and backwards, it's the same.

Or just rotate 180 degrees.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
israeliag
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I've never been more stressed out in a movie than I was in Interstellar. I think it's amazing.
israeliag
AG
And for me it was Dunkirk. Nolan has a talent for that (though with Dunkirk I lay a lot of that also on Zimmer's score).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Dunkirk score is stressful AF.

I was anxious the entire time.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
israeliag said:

And for me it was Dunkirk. Nolan has a talent for that (though with Dunkirk I lay a lot of that also on Zimmer's score).

Dunkirk is actually 3rd for me.

2nd was Project X. As someone who has thrown house parties with the parents out, the entire time I'm watching it I'm thinking, "Well, the broken window is bad, but you can probably get that fixed in a day. Ok a little fire, it was put out before anything was damaged too badly, it can be explained away."

And then they drive his dad's Mercedes into the pool.
TCTTS
AG
TENET TEASER TRAILER DROPPING IMMINENTLY...

I REPEAT, TENET TEASER TRAILER DROPPING IMMINENTLY...
TCTTS
AG
Nolan just pulled a fast one and it's apparently attached to IMAX showings of Hobbs & Shaw theatrically starting TONIGHT. No word yet on the online release, but the first Dunkirk teaser trailer dropped at the same time as it premiered in theaters that Thursday, at 6 PM EST. So my guess would be the same strategy here...
Independent George
AG
I have avoided most discussion on this so I am going in completely blind. So pumped!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.