The Terror

10,074 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldArmy71
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good to know.
OldArmy71
AG
I can't find the article I read that described an hypothesis that the lead poisoning had something to do with the water distribution system that was new to these two ships.

Of course, some said that the lead would have taken longer to accumulate anyway, no matter the source.

Clavell
AG
The book goes into more detail on evidence for the lead in the cans theory, but as promised I wont discuss.
JaneDoe02
AG
I really liked the show after the first 3 episodes. It's getting really weird now. I'll finish it, because I've come this far, but I'm haven't enjoyed the last 2 episodes at all.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
This show has been a little hit or miss. By that last twenty minutes was some damn fine television.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Might as well be in Chinese. I can't understand half the things the actors are saying.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I watch it with subtitles.
JaneDoe02
AG
My 14 y/o son has been watching the show too. I ordered the book today from Amazon for him.

Is there anything in the book that would be too much for him? He's not disturbed by the show and watches Walking Dead.
OldArmy71
AG
This would be a much better show without the bear.
Thunder18
AG
Just a heads up, the book is a pretty arduous read, it really bogs down in the last third
AJ02
AG
I got the audio book based on reports from several people that the book is a beast to get through.

Even the audiobook is rough. It bogs down in a lot of details that seem pretty unnecessary. And the timeline jumps all over the place. Based on the audiobook, lots of swearing if you're concerned about a 14 year old reading it.
AJ02
AG
And is it just me, or are all the characters completely unlikable in the book? I mean, not a single one has many redeeming qualities.
Ol Jock 99
AG
AJ02 said:

And is it just me, or are all the characters completely unlikable in the book? I mean, not a single one has many redeeming qualities.

So kinda like the politics board?
Clavell
AG
Read it earlier this year. Think would be ok for 14 year old. It does get into a lot more details on what they went through daily which is different in some ways than show. Almost reads as a non fiction book.
JaneDoe02
AG
I bought the book on Amazon and it came Thursday. I'm 200 pages in and really enjoying it. I figured I'd take a run at it first and then let my son have it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Well, that was a melancholy episode.
OldArmy71
AG
Yeah, I gave up on it. Too depressing. I'll probably record and zip through the last one just to see how it ends.

I will say that the acting is excellent.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It was depressing, but incredibly well done.
brew82
Do they plan on making this more than one season? If not, a lot has to happen for it to end in the next episode. Also, can't really see how they can make another 10 episode season with the small number of men left.
Ol Jock 99
AG
No clue. I was thinking the same last night. They are down to, what, 40ish total between the 2 groups?

Kinda hope next week is a bit longer and wraps it up.
brew82
The season finale is only 1 hour 15 minutes long, don't know how they can wrap everything up in that time span. I'm enjoying the series, but don't know if I can make it through another season.
AJ02
AG
I will say they did a hell of a job in casting the guy that plays Hickey. I just want to smash his face in anytime he's on screen.

And I think the show is much better than the book.
SeattleAgJr
brew82 said:

another season.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Interesting ending. Hickey's end was good. Not as sure about the other boat and the Captain's. Definitely not up for a S2.
OldArmy71
AG
Well acted, but much too graphic for my taste.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Can one of the book readers explain what happened to Edwards? Did he go from one of the Captain's most loyal men to a Cannibal King? I assume it was better fleshed out (haha) in the book.
gomerschlep
AG
I don't see how they could do another season, what would be the point? Just showing the Captain living out his life with the Inuit? I think they wrapped it up pretty nicely.
AJ02
AG
They switched around all the characters between the book and the show. People that were on crozier's side in the book weren't in the show, and vice versus. So I'm not sure about Edwards.

I have two hours left on the audiobook. I still haven't figured out what actually killed the Tuunbaq.
brew82
Enjoyed the finale. That would be a good episode to end the series. Would like to have seen more of the downward spiral Edwards group. There must have been a least 2-3 months go by that they just seemed skip over to close the show out within the 1 hour 15 minute time limit..
Goose06
AG
I just finished the show, a few thoughts /comments:

- Thought the first several episodes and the last several episodes were pretty good, but wow the middle was slow

- they definitely rushed some things and that resulted in several things not making a ton of sense

- why did dr goodsir tell the captain to eat his heel? Did he drink something that poisoned the rest of his body for anyone who ate it? Hence the guy throwing up? Is that also what killed the bear/creature?

- I guess the captain ultimately decided he'd rather live with the Eskimo instead of return home?

- why did they have Edward with the chains on his face?

Not sure if spoilers matter at this point, but tried to tag them anyway for anyone not done with the season....
Ol Jock 99
AG
I think were spoiler safe at this point.

-Yes, that is exactly what Goodsir did. Rubbed his body down with poison, drank poison, and then slit his wrists.

-I'm assuming it had to do with honor. Captain went on this journey after being rejected (twice I think), by Sir John's niece. Plus he was the only one to live. Better to stay north.

-No clue. Same question.
gomerschlep
AG
I thought the heel thing had to do with the lead poisoning, perhaps that part of his body might not have absorbed as much as the rest, and yeah I was assuming that was why the tunnbaq was sick, from eating the lead-filled sailors.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

Yes, that is exactly what Goodsir did. Rubbed his body down with poison, drank poison, and then slit his wrists.

Definitely this. Poison. He slit his wrists so no one would be suspicious of how he died and then they would consume him and die.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.