The Terror

10,022 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldArmy71
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New AMC miniseries. Read the book about ten years ago. Loved it. Think this will be an awesome show.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I wanted to read the book before the show, but the length and mediocre reviews scared me off. If I started it now, I'm not sure I could finish it before the show started.
TCTTS
AG
This book has been on my shelf for as long as I can remember. But yeah, the sheer length of it has always kept me away as well. Definitely looking forward to the show, though. Great trailer.
JABQ04
AG
I guess to be 100% honest I listened to the book in CD while driving from Houston to Fort Lewis in Washington state. But I did grab a copy and read it again and have read it again a couple of times. I fact I am listening to it as I drive to and from work now.
Eliminatus
AG
I wonder if the plot will change.

The book is incredible.....until the last 30 pages or so. Complete dud for me. The big reveal was such a face palm to me.

Either way I will give this a shot for sure.
Thunder18
AG
The book is pretty good but way longer than it needed to be. That said I hope the show is good, because the premise is pretty cool
Clavell
AG
I'm about 200 pages in. Reads so much like a NF book for good and bad. I wonder if series will jump back and forth between timelines?

Says Season 1, wonder how many they're planning for?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
That. Looks. Awesome.
israeliag
AG
Never read the book, but the author wrote my favorite book (series) - The Hyperion Cantos - and there are some top notch that-guy actors (maybe a notch above "that-guy") in this that I'm sure to watch.
Clavell
AG
Just to get people ready, here is excerpt without name to give you idea:

The men who found the _____ head at the end of the watch spent the week telling and retelling the others about poor ________'s visage - jaws open wide as if frozen in the middle of a scream, lips pulled back from his teeth, eyes protruding. There was not a tooth wound or claw mark on his face or head, only the ragged tearing at the neck, the thin pipe of his esopha gus protruding like a rat's grey tail, and the stump of white spinal cord showing.

Enjoy
schmendeler
AG
israeliag said:

Never read the book, but the author wrote my favorite book (series) - The Hyperion Cantos - and there are some top notch that-guy actors (maybe a notch above "that-guy") in this that I'm sure to watch.
the shrike?
israeliag
AG
What do you mean?
schmendeler
AG
israeliag said:

What do you mean?
when I see hyperion, I think of the sci fi books featuring the shrike. is that the same author you were referencing?
israeliag
AG
Yes those books. By Dan Simmons.
captkirk
AG
I'm in
Thunder18
AG
israeliag said:

Ciaran Hinds
Tobias Menzies
Jared Harris

I find it kind of funny that Hinds and Menzies have both been cast on some of the same shows (Rome, Game of Thrones). Just something that immediately came to mind for me when I saw the first preview
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Jared Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorite character actors. He just carries whatever scene he is in.
duck79
AG
Anyone watch the premiere last night? My guide said walking dead was 2 hrs but the second hr was actually The Terror premiere that I guess they are replying tonight.
annie88
AG
Yes, they premiered it last night but will repeat tonight along with another hour.

I liked it, great cast. Have not read the book, so will be interesting to see where it goes. Have an idea, but we'll see. I love stuff like this. Period, dark, creepy. Awesome.

Tobias Menzies played an SOB (actually dual role, but only one was bad) on Outlander and he was so good at being so evil, I actually disliked him! But he's a great actor and have seen him in other things as well. Will see what he does on this.

The part where the "diver" goes down is super cool and really makes you feel creepy. I couldn't imagine at that time doing something like that.

Also has the guy who played Lane, Jared Harris on Mad Men, he and Hinds are excellent as well.

Love the set and visuals. Has a bit of a feel of Master and Commander but much darker.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Clavell
AG
I'm a little over half through with book. You always have a picture in your mind of the characters as you read, interesting how quickly I see the actors in my mind when reading now. Can already tell they are going to make changes as they always do in book adaptions, but they have the feel right and the actor choices are great.

Minor, but after watching second hour the casting for Magnus is off. A strong ox in the book.
Major, Lady Silence appears all wrong to me in addition to being the one without a tongue in book.

I'll stop here with book comparisons. I know that can be irritating.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'll echo the Jared Harris praise. Guy has been one of my faves for years and is only getting better. Like his father before him, he is one hell of an actor.
schmendeler
AG
Gota De Limon said:

I'll echo the Jared Harris praise. Guy has been one of my faves for years and is only getting better. Like his father before him, he is one hell of an actor.
wow, it just clicked why I thought "dumbledore" when I watched him in that trailer.
Sex Panther
AG
Gota De Limon said:

Holy *****.. I had no idea his father was Richard Harris
annie88
AG
Sex Panther said:

Gota De Limon said:

Holy *****.. I had no idea his father was Richard Harris
I can't believe I haven't been aware of this either!
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Clavell
AG
Finished book, even more curious about their decision to leave Silence's tongue intact.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Know zip about the book or story. Enjoyed the opener.
JABQ04
AG
Really enjoyed the opener. Deviations from the book surprised me, as I guess I already had what should be happening figured out but hey it's a miniseries. Like I said I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest. The true story is equally cool. Several neat documentaries out there on the Franklin expedition
Bruce Almighty
AG
I really enjoyed the first episode.
gomerschlep
AG
I was skeptical but threw it on the DVR for lack of other content at the moment, I really dug the first 2 episodes
Ol Jock 99
AG
Wow. Killed Sir John in Episode 3?? Was not expecting that! How many episodes is this thing?
Clavell
AG
Shows 10 episodes. It gets more crazy from here.
Iowaggie
AG
I've started the recording of the series, but I missed the first two episodes.
I'm surprised they aren't replaying them (yet), and right now I can only get the first episode on demand.

I know this added nothing to the conversation, but I'm wanting to know if this is going to be worth it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I haven't seen episode 3 yet, but the first two were really good.
Clavell
AG
Really depends. This is a historical fiction series. Appears they are going for same dark mood and attempt to make as accurate historically as can. There will be a lot of psychological drama along with The Terror attacks. Will not be everyone's cup of tea, but book was good enough to keep me going.
LHIOB
AG
Can we keep the book stuff off this thread please?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.