*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,050 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the first trailer finally premiering this coming Monday during Good Morning America, a likely trailer tease / TV spot set to air during the Super Bowl this Sunday, and the movie itself less than four months away, I figured it was time to spin off a... solo.... thread...

Release Date: May 25, 2018 (2D, 3D, IMAX, IMAX 3D)

Director: Ron Howard (taking over for Phil Lord and Chris Miller)

Screenplay: Lawrence Kasdan, Joe Kasdan

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Paul Bettany, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Official Synopsis:
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story,' an adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga's most unlikely heroes.

wangus12
AG
Hopes are average at best. Still looking forward to it and will be there opening night
boogieman
AG
IN
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed on all points.
Cancelled
AG
For me (for the most part), Star Wars without Solo and/or Vader is just lame. No young boy wanted to be Luke...they wanted to be Solo. And Vader is one of the greatest bad guys ever.
powerbelly
AG
Cautiously optimistic.
Murder Hornet
AG
TCTTS
AG
Same. I've been saying it for a while now, but I think this could potentially be a ton of fun. Old school Star Wars meets Guardians of the Galaxy. It all hinges on Ehrenreich, though. Of course, I could change my tune as soon as we see the first footage this weekend, but reports of the both the script and a brief glimpse of footage have been extremely positive.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Same. I've been saying it for a while now, but I think this could potentially be a ton of fun. Old school Star Wars meets Guardians of the Galaxy. It all hinges on Ehrenreich, though. Of course, I could change my tune as soon as we see the first footage this weekend, but reports of the both the script and a brief glimpse of footage have been extremely positive.
I thought it was originally too slapstick or something?
TCTTS
AG
The script that the Kasdans wrote is apparently amazing. There have been multiple reports of how good it is. But what pissed off Lucasfilm/Kennedy is that Lord & Miller weren't treating the script with enough respect and were instead making it too slapstick for their taste. Hence why Lord & Miller were fired and Howard was brought on.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

The script that the Kasdans wrote is apparently amazing. There have been multiple reports of how good it is. But what pissed off Lucasfilm/Kennedy is that Lord & Miller weren't treating the script with enough respect and were instead making it too slapstick for their taste. Hence why Lord & Miller were fired and Howard was brought on.
Got it. Hope he fixed any damage and made it good. Thanks.
bobinator
AG
I have absolutely no faith that this movie is going to be good just based on all the stuff that's gone on around it, but it would be awesome to be wrong.

It will be interesting to see how a story that doesn't have anything to do with the over-arcing story does. Rogue One was still pretty tied into the overall story in that the good guys were the rebels and the bad guys were the empire and they were trying to destroy the Death Star. It might have been one of the best movies I've ever seen where you basically knew the ending going in (the only real question was who was going to live or die.)

I guess I've just never really found myself caring about Solo's backstory. The lack of one almost seems like part of his character to be honest.

jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
KidDoc
AG
I'm very interested but also very frightened it may be awful.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bobinator
AG
I'm also still not in love with casting of Donald Glover, but maybe he can pull it off
Matt_ag98
Let's see how big a deal Lucasfilm will make these "bronze, baby shoe-like, dice"
easttexasaggie04
AG
Is the Khaleesi in this movie? That looks like her on the poster.
boogieman
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yes
GiveEmHellBill
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

You mean Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains?

Yes...yes, it is.
easttexasaggie04
AG
To me, she'll always be The Khaleesi.
boogieman
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

To me, she'll always be The Khaleesi.

double aught
AG
bobinator said:

I'm also still not in love with casting of Donald Glover, but maybe he can pull it off
He's probably what I'm most looking forward to.
PatAg
AG
double aught said:

bobinator said:

He's probably what I'm most looking forward to.
I think he will kill it, he has a lot of range and good comedic timing.
PatAg
AG
queso1 said:

For me (for the most part), Star Wars without Solo and/or Vader is just lame. No young boy wanted to be Luke...they wanted to be Solo. And Vader is one of the greatest bad guys ever.
This is a bad star wars opinion.
The Debt
Knowing how the Abramsverse can't go 10 mins without a callback to the original trilogy, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Kessel run will be featured in this film.

Maybe even the card game Lando lost the Falcon in. (Goodness could you imagine terrible parallel to Jack winning two tickets on the Titanic.)
TCTTS
AG
Both of those elements have basically been confirmed already. We're seeing it all.
redline248
AG
queso1 said:

Are you kidding me? No one touched this, yet? Luke was a mother-f.cking jedi. You had to play Han Solo when you lost the paper-rock-scissors to be Luke.

I suspect this could be a matter of age relative to each movie. If you were a boy after Star Wars and before Empire, I could see your point. I was 3 when Jedi was released. In elementary, everyone wanted to be Luke.
redline248
AG
So, supposedly, one of George Lucas's most protected "moments" (for lack of a better word) is how Han met Chewie. Meaning, everyone knew that he saved the Wookie and received a life debt, but he wouldn't sign off on anyone writing about the events. Is that going to be in this movie, or will we get post-Imperial academy Han only?
TCTTS
AG
Read the official synopsis I posted in the OP. Yes, Han meets Chewie in this movie.
redline248
AG
interesting
TyHolden
AG
I really wish they'd do the life of chewie...
redline248
AG
problem with that is they'd have to cover the Clone Wars
cbr
AG
I hope it's good. Tfa was decent and rogue 1 was great.

But honestly casting some doughy poof boy as Han Solo is a really, really bad sign.
aggiephoenix02
cbr said:

I hope it's good. Tfa was decent and rogue 1 was great.

But honestly casting some doughy poof boy as Han Solo is a really, really bad sign.
Who's Scruffy Lookin'!?!?!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.