New UFO movie based on Leslie Kean's non-fiction book...

1,607 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by israeliag
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am a massive UFO enthusiast - there isn't a documentary I haven't seen on the subject - and this new project sounds right up my alley. I've waited years for the first "serious" film on the subject, one that's not a horror or a blockbuster, and this sounds like it could very well be it. The project could still be two or three years away, as a studio isn't even officially attached yet, but I have my fingers crossed that it comes together, and relatively soon.

Until then, this is probably a question better served in another forum, but what are everyone's thoughts on the subject of UFOs in general? At this point, knowing what we know of the universe, it's hard to argue that there's isn't other intelligent life out there, but do you think we've been visited? Is there a government conspiracy? And what would you like to see explored in a film like this?

Quote:

"The filmmakers have been working over the holidays to incorporate new information which recently came to light into the script and Kean spent over a decade studying hundreds of U.S. government documents, aviation reports, radar data, and official case studies on UFOs. The UFO events depicted in the film will be true and recreated based on real documents, data, and witnesses' first-hand accounts."

Link to the book itself:
https://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307717089

And the recent New York Times article that has been incorporated into the script as well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html
bobinator
AG
I'll see pretty much any movie about aliens. It's probably my favorite thing to think about. They're out there somewhere.

I don't think we've been visited though or that there's a government conspiracy. I don't think our government is smart enough to pull off that big of a conspiracy. (Unless that's exactly what they want us to think...)

As far as new ground in a UFO movie, I do think a "real-world" approach to a crash landing would be interesting. Like they aren't here to invade, they had some sort of malfunction and had to land here because our technology is advanced enough to possibly be able to help them.

It opens with that first interaction. Almost a superman crash landing type situation. Two regular humans, somewhere on earth, make first contact first.

But how do we help them, how do we figure out what they want, should we help them, how does everyone find out, if they offer to give us technology in exchange do we accept it, who has access to it?

Kind of like Arrival meets District 9.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
bobinator said:

I'll see pretty much any movie about aliens. It's probably my favorite thing to think about. They're out there somewhere.

I don't think we've been visited though or that there's a government conspiracy. I don't think our government is smart enough to pull off that big of a conspiracy. (Unless that's exactly what they want us to think...)

As far as new ground in a UFO movie, I do think a "real-world" approach to a crash landing would be interesting. Like they aren't here to invade, they had some sort of malfunction and had to land here because our technology is advanced enough to possibly be able to help them.

It opens with that first interaction. Almost a superman crash landing type situation. Two regular humans, somewhere on earth, make first contact first.

But how do we help them, how do we figure out what they want, should we help them, how does everyone find out, if they offer to give us technology in exchange do we accept it, who has access to it?

Kind of like Arrival meets District 9.
agree with this as i also think it pertains to a lot of conspiracy theories out there. for these things to really be kept secret there would have to be a lot of legit people keeping their mouths shut and i just don't see that happening. i find it highly unlikely that big things like this can be kept secret at such a large scale.

that said, i do also believe in some sort of alien life out there. the universe is just way too big a place for us to be the only ones.
Liquid Wrench
I'm surprised there hasn't been a good movie about the foo fighters or other military sightings. I'd go see that.

As for general thoughts on the subject, there's no doubt people really do see strange things in the sky. I assume most of it could be explained by advanced testing, possibly even by private industry experimenting without government oversight.
G Martin 87
AG
As for the possibility of sentient life elsewhere in the universe, I believe it is a 100% certainty that we are not alone. As for the possibility of other sentient life visiting Earth, I believe it is a 100% certainty that it is impossible. The vast distances and energy required for interstellar travel are just too big a physics challenge to overcome. And frankly, that's a relief.
Redstone
AG
At least a few UFOs have been secret military technologies, and some have been angels/demons. Whether aliens actually exist is another question. I'm sympathetic to the idea, but lean toward secret bases underneath the sea /ocean beds.
oragator
TCTTS said:

I am a massive UFO enthusiast - there isn't a documentary I haven't seen on the subject - and this new project sounds right up my alley. I've waited years for the first "serious" film on the subject, one that's not a horror or a blockbuster, and this sounds like it could very well be it. The project could still be two or three years away, as a studio isn't even officially attached yet, but I have my fingers crossed that it comes together, and relatively soon.

Until then, this is probably a question better served in another forum, but what are everyone's thoughts on the subject of UFOs in general? At this point, knowing what we know of the universe, it's hard to argue that there's isn't other intelligent life out there, but do you think we've been visited? Is there a government conspiracy? And what would you like to see explored in a film like this?

Quote:

"The filmmakers have been working over the holidays to incorporate new information which recently came to light into the script and Kean spent over a decade studying hundreds of U.S. government documents, aviation reports, radar data, and official case studies on UFOs. The UFO events depicted in the film will be true and recreated based on real documents, data, and witnesses' first-hand accounts."

Link to the book itself:
https://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307717089

And the recent New York Times article that has been incorporated into the script as well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html
I will be in line for that one if it's half decent.
If they are doing various cases, I hope Rendlesham, Lonnie Zamora, Shag Harbour, Malmstrom...among others.
West Point Aggie
AG
When aliens do decide to show up en masse...we are ****ed!
Solo Tetherball Champ
I've always maintained that Star Wars are not films created by Lucas, but historical documents that he found.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I've always maintained that Star Wars are not films created by Lucas, but historical documents that he found.
Then you would really enjoy Spielberg's "Taken" miniseries (Liam Neeson not included).
israeliag
AG
Everyone on this thread needs to do themselves a favor and read the Three Body Problem trilogy by Liu Cixin. It will reshape the way you view interaction with other alien lifeforms.
Al Bula
AG
This all sounds like a crazy Mormon politician was hooking his kooky buddy up with federal money to find Planet Kolob.

Good thing Harry Reid is no longer in the senate.
Raptor
AG
I love me some SciFi with aliens. There is definitely something out there, but we'll probably never get a chance to have a meet and greet.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

G Martin 87
AG
israeliag said:

Everyone on this thread needs to do themselves a favor and read the Three Body Problem trilogy by Liu Cixin. It will reshape the way you view interaction with other alien lifeforms.
It's on my reading list. Definitely looking forward to it.
Human
AG
I believe we have been visited by aliens for thousands of years and there was a UFO crash in Roswell. We were conducting atomic testing and accidentally blew a ship or two out of the sky.

We have reversed engineered their technology and many of the UFO sightings are actually our government running tests all over the world, not all but some.

There is just too much video evidence(with our smart phone cameras), although not very good most of the time, here in the last 10 years to say otherwise.

Our government has been covering up the evidence for years. They will go as far as to throw out "false flags" and encourage hardened seekers, only to have bad information and counter intelligence lead them on misguided trails. Leaders from many countries, namely France and Canada, have been waking up and are becoming more vocal about this phenomenon.

I could go on, but I would recommend this guy's channel and discover for your self, compelling to say the least:

SecureTeam10

Watch at least 10 of his videos if you can. Enjoy!

Al Bula
AG
israeliag said:

I wikied this and it does seem to be a newer, more original take on first contact. Or maybe not, I don't get into to really hard sci-fi, but it looks interesting either way.

How is the Chinese to English translation?
israeliag
AG
RPM said:

israeliag said:

I wikied this and it does seem to be a newer, more original take on first contact. Or maybe not, I don't get into to really hard sci-fi, but it looks interesting either way.

How is the Chinese to English translation?
Translation is great. I listened to it on Audible and didn't have any issues. The translator is apparently a pretty decorated sci-fi author himself.

I read a decent share of sci-fi (though I don't consume large volumes of books), and this one was the most unique. Each novel does a good job of evolving the story line from the previous one by introducing a different main theme that is a natural progression on the theme of the preceding novel. The character development in the last one suffered a bit, IMO, and felt a bit rushed at the end.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.