***WACO Thread***

28,737 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rascal
Ernest Tucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's kind of interesting how after learning that the Texas Rangers would secure the evidence that the government created a situation where it was likely the whole place would burn down.
MookieBlaylock
AG
9 bikers killed and a hundred people arrested and charged with murder at twin peaks

50+ rapes covered by Baylor and the police

1 basketball player murdered and covered up by the university

Yet there is no chance thw fbi and ATF where in the wrong
Aggie09Derek
AG
Bump
AggieChemist
AG
maca1028 said:

There's a fair amount of blame on both sides. This show was very good but I took a lot of what was portrayed with a grain of salt. This wasn't a documentary it was a dramatization based off of books by Noesner and Thibodeau with some Hollywood flair.
If those people weren't being held hostage then they had ample opportunity to tell Koresh to go pound sand, grab their kids, and walk out the door.
On the other hand the ATF had no business raiding that place, the FBI made it worse with their "scare tactic" mentality of trying to flush them out, and Reno should've never allowed tear gas to be pumped in there with innocent children.
Your scenario assumes that the people WANTED to leave and Koresh held them there.

The people were true believers. They were following their Messiah.

He was a messed up dude, but in America, we are supposed to have the freedom to follow a messed up dude that believes he is the Messiah without being gassed and burned alive.
maca1028
AggieChemist said:

maca1028 said:

There's a fair amount of blame on both sides. This show was very good but I took a lot of what was portrayed with a grain of salt. This wasn't a documentary it was a dramatization based off of books by Noesner and Thibodeau with some Hollywood flair.
If those people weren't being held hostage then they had ample opportunity to tell Koresh to go pound sand, grab their kids, and walk out the door.
On the other hand the ATF had no business raiding that place, the FBI made it worse with their "scare tactic" mentality of trying to flush them out, and Reno should've never allowed tear gas to be pumped in there with innocent children.
Your scenario assumes that the people WANTED to leave and Koresh held them there.

He was a messed up dude, but in America, we are supposed to have the freedom to follow a messed up dude that believes he is the Messiah without being gassed and burned alive.

I completely agree with your last statement, my scenerio is based off of what I would've done. The entire incident could've been avoided. ATF should've never raided the place, the davidians could've walked out at any time, and it could've ended without the burning the place down. Like I said, there's plenty of blame to go around on both sides and 24 innocent children died because of it.
Clavell
AG
Finally finished the miniseries. I remember growing up in the 60s and 70s in a conservative family where you trusted the agencies like the FBI and police. It was only those hippies that caused the problem. As I've aged I find out those hippies were more right than wrong on their mistrust of the government.

Unfortunately those same hippies now want the government to control everything.
Swarely
It's on Netflix now, so I just watched the series.

Wow. That was gut wrenching.
Urban Ag
AG
Clavell said:

Finally finished the miniseries. I remember growing up in the 60s and 70s in a conservative family where you trusted the agencies like the FBI and police. It was only those hippies that caused the problem. As I've aged I find out those hippies were more right than wrong on their mistrust of the government.

Unfortunately those same hippies now want the government to control everything.
I'm probably about 10 years younger than you but had the same upbringing and eventually came to the same conclusions.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Part 1 of 12 segment interviews with David Thibodeau;

This particular channel has a ton of extended interviews with survivors and others.
ApachePilot
AG
Just finished the series. I remember it well as I was stationed at fort hood. Hard to believe how bad the ATF screwed up followed by the fbi. Insane. Attacking American citizens. Killing women and children. I don't have much faith in government bureaucrats and government agencies As a whole and these types of events just harden my resolve.
rynning
AG
Just watched the first episode, not remembering a whole lot about how everything went down. Pleasantly surprised it doesn't feel like a TV movie-of-the-week that I was expecting. Taylor Kitsch really nails the David Koresh role of being charismatic (but not over the top), sincere, and manipulative at the same time. Also like how they tied in Ruby Ridge since it sets the stage and some of the same agents were involved. Will definitely keep going...
redass89
AggieChemist said:

maca1028 said:

aTmAg
AG
I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch. In fact, I typically mock them. But I find it really strange that the audio of them setting fire this was never released. You would think this would be all over the place, as the ATF/FBI would want that to be out in the open.

However, this show was over the top on the side of the BD. I don't believe that either.
Southlake
Just CV binged this last night. Very good. Shannon was excellent.
cbr
AG
aTmAg said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch. In fact, I typically mock them. But I find it really strange that the audio of them setting fire this was never released. You would think this would be all over the place, as the ATF/FBI would want that to be out in the open.

However, this show was over the top on the side of the BD. I don't believe that either.
I was friends with atf agents. I didnt know any bd. But i promise you, The show was over the top on the side of the atf and fbi.

People should have been executed for what happened there.
aTmAg
AG
cbr said:

aTmAg said:

I was friends with atf agents. I didnt know any bd. But i promise you, The show was over the top on the side of the atf and fbi.

People should have been executed for what happened there.
Do I read you right in that your ATF friends think their fellow ATF agents should have been executed?

The reason I think it was over the top in favor of the BD is that is didn't address his 11 year old "wives" that former Davidians later admitted, and seemed to attempt to justify his banging everybody with that "I was starting to enjoy it" scene. How would they know that happened? Both of them died in the fire.
rynning
AG
cbr said:

aTmAg said:

But i promise you, The show was over the top on the side of the atf and fbi.

Wait, was there another Waco series that I missed?

Finished it the other day. Well done for sure, though it was kind of like watching Titanic!

Agree they should not have glossed over the sins of the BDs. No reason to make them out as the "good guys" while faulting the ATF/FBI.
redsquirrelAG
AG
This shows the problems of the arrogance if the 3 letter agencies and disregard for the Constitution and The People. Great show even with bias of both sides in situations.
cbr
AG
rynning said:

cbr said:

aTmAg said:

But i promise you, The show was over the top on the side of the atf and fbi.

Wait, was there another Waco series that I missed?

Finished it the other day. Well done for sure, though it was kind of like watching Titanic!

Agree they should not have glossed over the sins of the BDs. No reason to make them out as the "good guys" while faulting the ATF/FBI.
The sins of those people are none of your business and damned sure none of the governments business. Cps had crawled all over that place. Had nothing. They want to believe some kook religion and live in a compound and whatnot, well, they can. that is the whole point of this country. I can see government trying to give minors some protection, but 1) parents have much more right and responsbility. 2) cps was all over it and had nthing. 3) thats not what atf went there for

There could never be even the slightest excuse for what they did. It was 100% Arbitrary stalinist government oppression and military murder of innocent men women and children. So much worse than anything king george ever did its not even in th same ballpark.

abuse of governement power is by far the worst crime that could ever be committed.

My atf friend was killed in the first attack. His friends were racked with guilt. One said people needed to swing. Most wouldnt talk about it.

Rascal
AG
Just got through episode 3. Good so far.

Many questions though!

Obviously, there is conflicting testimony on who started raid #1, but is it accurate of how it was depicted where the ATF shot the dogs that approached them and then they opened fire on Koresh and the building and even shooting Koresh in the side/gut area? I didn't realize Koresh was injured or even shot during the long standoff.

And, was there seriously a camera man that the ATF hired to film this thing and then the camera was destroyed?

I honestly don't remember that happening, but admittedly never followed the story that close.

Serious Lee
Rascal said:

is it accurate of how it was depicted where the ATF shot the dogs that approached them

yes. they were alaskan malamutes just as depicted in the show. they had farm animals as well that were reportedly slaughtered during the 51 day standoff as part of the psychological operation against them. that may be an embellishment.

Quote:

and then they opened fire on Koresh and the building and even shooting Koresh in the side/gut area? I didn't realize Koresh was injured or even shot during the long standoff.
who fired first is something that will never be settled, thanks to all the evidence being conveniently destroyed. but the shootout wasn't depicted exactly the way it happened IRL. the ATF ran out of ammo and were allowed to retreat, the show makes it look like a truce was called. he was gut shot during the initial raid though and when he suddenly stopped making videos and posting communications, the public thought he had succumbed to his wounds.

Quote:

And, was there seriously a camera man that the ATF hired to film this thing and then the camera was destroyed?
yes. there is an academy award winning documentary that features alot of the original footage. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120472/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

the film that went missing was from the tarrant county medical examiners office. the fbi was not allowing any independent investigation of the matter and the local doctor (indian guy named peerwani) tried like hell to get the tapes back but they were conveniently lost.
Rascal
AG
Thanks for sharing all that.

Why was the raid #1 video footage stored in a medical examiner office?
Serious Lee
Rascal said:

Thanks for sharing all that.

Why was the raid #1 video footage stored in a medical examiner office?
it wasnt. first one was part of what everbody has seen now from the initial raid. ATF video embarassing themselves.

that wasnt the video in question.

the second video was taken from the texas authorities trying to do their own investigation.

that is the video with all the incrimiating evidence against the FBI.

we still havent seen that video and there is no evidence of any wrongdoing cause the place conventiently burned to the ground

Rascal
AG
Just finished the series and halfway through the documentary you shared.

Wow! On many levels. Fascinating to see the political divide even back then during the congressional hearings. And Chuck Schumer was a POS then as he is now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.