Call Me By Your Name

3,483 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 42799862
chiken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone interested in this movie? Gone to see it?

I read the book and saw the movie this weekend. Thankfully the movie was better than the book, but I'm not sure Timothee Chalamet deserved an Oscar nomination for that performance.

What does everyone else think?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think he definitely did. I've been rooting for him to win at all the award shows, but it's Oldman's year.
chiken
AG
For the sake of discussion, what makes you feel like it was the best movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree with ATM. I put it in my top 5 easily. (In my top 10 list, I think I have it at #3.)

For me, it's the acting and the cinematography.

Not only was it beautifully shot, but the way the director lets the scenes breathe was pretty great. No quick cuts, no need to get to the next plot point. Granted, the location did a lot of the work.

And the acting was just superb, especially from Chalamet, Armie Hammer, and Michael Stuhlbarg. The final scene in the movie with Elio and his dad was just amazing. Great dialogue and great performance by Stuhlbarg.

Personally, I think I enjoyed it more than Three Billboards. But that was also great, and it's looking like that is now the front-runner for Best Picture. But if it were me voting, I'd put Call Me By Your Name just a notch above it.
Sex Panther
AG
That Chalamet kid is having a pretty fantastic year. He's also in Hostiles, although it's not a very big role.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I didn't realize until after I finished this movie that he was the ******* kid she briefly dates in Lady Bird. (Incidentally, also the son in Interstellar.)

What a year for him. I think the kid is gonna be a superstar.
chiken
AG
I enjoy independent films and I did like how this movie was presented.

However, the elongated scenes where we were just looking at a field of grass or a winding street seemed very novice to me. I don't feel like it added to the scenes.

I can't wait to see Lady Bird and his performance in that movie. I've watched numerous interviews with Chalamet and Hammer and he seems like such a genuinely appreciative actor. It's hard to believe how young he is. Did you know he picked up Italian in the three months he worked there? It must be nice to know three languages at such a young age.
Joan Wilder
AG
We saw this Saturday night and it was so lovely, and captures that utter joy and heart ache of first love. The scene of him crying in the car with his mom just gutted me. The devastation of young love captured perfectly.

Chalamet deserves all the awards...what a performance. He was fantastic in Lady Bird too.

For me the Stevens songs seemed shoe horned in, and they took me out of it. A minor quibble though. This movie easily one of my top 5 of the year.
TCTTS
AG
Dat peach scene, tho...
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, just want to echo how good this movie is. Admittedly, a couple scene are kind of tough to watch, but overall it absolutely deserves all the praise it's getting. I think Chalamet takes home Best Actor, too. Feels like the momentum is building for him...
Jim01
AG
Really? I got the feeling Oldham was a lock.

Really enjoyed this movie. The speech by Stuhlberg at the end is epic and beautiful. It also encapsulates what this movie did well that no other Best Picture nominee did, which was stillness and quiet. I think there is difficulty in pulling of scenes with chaos and a lot going on, but to pull off a scene of stillness, of quiet, of just two people in a room talking takes great writing and acting at another level.
BallerStaf2003
AG
The movie left me with a deep sadness. It was a beautiful and well done movie. He soundtrack was amazing.

I felt that sort of love once while at A&M. Someone i spent a lot of time with and he just couldn't be with me due to society and shame. He's now married with two kids. I still think about him everyday.

Specifically, what struck so hard was when Elio says Oliver is better than him. I remember thinking that when we parted, and i still feel that way.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Kind of annoyed Armie Hammer didn't get nominated for best supporting actor.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Dang. Bummer.
TCTTS
AG
Same. Still, it's good to see him rebound the way he has after The Lone Ranger debacle. He may not be taking home ridiculous paychecks, but I'd argue that failure caused him to seek out better roles/movies, which he has certainly done since. He's in awards contenders year after year now.

He's such a good guy, too. I've hung out with him a couple times (one of my best friends is really good friends with him), and he's as cool and as down to earth as can be.
Mort Rainey
BallerStaf2003 said:

The movie left me with a deep sadness. It was a beautiful and well done movie. He soundtrack was amazing.

I felt that sort of love once while at A&M. Someone i spent a lot of time with and he just couldn't be with me due to society and shame. He's now married with two kids. I still think about him everyday.

Specifically, what struck so hard was when Elio says Oliver is better than him. I remember thinking that when we parted, and i still feel that way.
This is a downer. Sorry that happened
israeliag
AG
There was an article the other day about how he snuck a CD with the George Miller Justice League script despite being asked for all copies of it. Please ask Armie for a copy. Thanks.

---
Edit:
Quote:

"But yeah it was amazing we were down in Australia for like a month or two months doing shoots, doing rehearsals in the suits, all the characters in their suits, and then we get a call one day from the producers saying we need everyone to come in and bring all of your materials, bring your scripts, bring your notes, bring everything, and we were like 'ok, ok' and we show up. They had big bins and they were like 'Put it all in here' and I was like 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, sure.' I quickly snuck a CD out of my computer put it in my back pocket turned it all in and I managed to basically steal a script but other than that I had nothing to show for it. I'm sure there's pictures floating around somewhere with all of us in our costumes but yeah you know the tax budget all kinda went away in Australia and then the government had a huge reform and they sent us home."
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/21/armie-hammer-batman-justice-league-mortal-script/
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I actually have that script if anyone wants it. It's... not that great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, bummed that neither Hammer nor Stuhlbarg got one. Was hoping at least one of them would.
BallerStaf2003
AG
That's amazing. He seems like a really great guy from interviews. The crush is strong! Haha
BallerStaf2003
AG
don't be sorry. I felt more in that time than many feel in their life. And continue to feel more.
Joan Wilder
AG
I would love to see it again without the tenseness and worry I felt that they'd be "caught" when they were making out in the street with such joy and abandon. I'm so glad it wasn't "that" movie.

Staf- thanks for sharing that. I watched the movie and that yearning and deep love and deep hurt are sooo relatable no matter who's the object of that crush, I can only imagine it taken to another level for you in the audience. Being madly in love at that age can be so all consuming and exquisitely painful
chiken
AG
That's good to hear! I was disappointed they left that part out, to be honest.
TyHolden
AG
Is this the David Allen Coe biography?
Sex Panther
AG
Something tells me DAC wouldn't care for this film
SkiMo
AG
Saw it this weekend, and for me it was one of the most beautiful movies I recall ever seeing. The acting, the story, the script, the music, the scenery and cinematography, etc. All of it combined was just a great piece of art.

What I really loved about it was that most every person on earth can relate to those feelings Elio felt. And it's one of those feelings that you never truly seem to ever feel again which allows the audience to feel an even deeper amount of empathy.

And as for us gay folks, we can relate on another level with these characters. Many of us have gone through the same exact thing. I did. My first love was 10 years older. I was blind to anything other than him at the time and going through it all alone as I was not out to anyone. And was left completely devastated when it ended. And he could never get the strength to come out to his family...and I'm not sure that he ever has. I felt so much sadness for Oliver. He was getting married, like so many others have and still continue to do, out of societal pressure. All I have ever wanted my parents to say is something similar to what Elio's did in that scene... it was just an amazing monologue.

I hope Timothee wins the Oscar. He deserves it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/call-me-by-your-name-2-sequel-a8241651.html

Sequel coming!
Ag 11
AG
Never even heard of this movie until Sunday
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.