TheForce.net question

1,801 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sea Pony 07
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another thread got me 'membering my early days of internet hype for upcoming movies. Around the time The Phantom Menace came out I was frequently checking TheForce.net. I just looked it up on wikpedia to see when the site started and saw this:

Quote:

The web site launched in 1996 as the "Star Wars Site At Texas A & M." It was founded by Scott Chitwood and Darin Smith. TFN is officially "TheForce.Net, LLC," and is currently part-owned by Philip Wise, who also runs the Star Wars collecting news site Rebelscum.com.
I either forgot or never knew about an Aggie connection. So fess up, who here was involved with it and who remembers when it was geared to us?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC brought us the Leo DiCaprio as Anakin scoop.

I frequented that site back in the day. Was in high school at the time.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I've told this story before, but I also used to work with Scott / theforce.net. Scott was in Houston while I was at A&M and he reached out to me after I started a publicly-hosted "scriptment" of Attack of the Clones maybe a year and a half before it hit theaters. Back then, if you knew where to look and who to talk to you, you could dig up quite a bit about the plot as shooting was under way, and I was so plugged in I could even get tiny script excerpts here and there as well. I compiled it all - news, rumors, and script excerpts - into an abridged script of sorts and eventually had the entire movie laid out a year or so before it released. Scott contacted me and asked if I'd like to host it / continue updating it on theforce.net and I agreed. Any time an insider would send me a tip, news would break, or a trailer would drop, I'd add the dialogue and write my own scene descriptions and theforce.net would make a news story out of the update. We kept it going right up until a couple months before the release of the movie. Lucasfilm finally sent us a cease and desist and we had to take it down because it got so accurate.

As much as I hate the prequels, between that whole stint and the Leo thing, I have a very weird and even somewhat publicly influential relationship those movies. In more ways than one, TexAgs has always felt like an extension of that process for me, in the best way.
TCTTS
AG
Man, I miss that era of online movie coverage so much. From 97' to '03 or so was the wild west, and just so fun to track and read about rumors. We had the prequels, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix Trilogy, X-Men, Spider-Man, and so many other titles that each spawned really great, informative, and up-to-date fan sites that tracked every last rumor and news morsel. Not to mention, it was the heyday of Ain't It Cool News, Dark Horizons, and Corona's Coming Attractions, and the way movie rumors were treated in general back then was so different than it is now. For one, script reviews were such a huge thing for projects that were months if not years out. There was also so much more hope and excitement in general, simply because we hadn't yet been burned by disappointment. As long as I live, I will be grateful that I got to be there for all that, basically coming of age as the internet was just starting out. It was such a fun time.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah. I mentioned on the theater attendance thread how nerded up I got waiting for the first X-Men. That was one of the first great online movie marketing schemes I remember being caught up. The other, of course, was The Phantom Menace, though I remember the rumors more than the marketing. I probably read some of your contributions to the TheForce.net. Back when I had to go through a list of dial-up numbers to find the one that would connect me to glorious message board rants until my roommate picked up the phone.

That was also around the time I began reading meltdown threads on the football board and began a long downward spiral in social development.
Ambres
AG
Weird, I just logged on theforce.net today out of curiosity to see what was posted on it.

InternetFan02
AG
I want to read an oral history deep dive into the attack of the clones rumors machine. I think Phantom menace was so bad that the outlandish rumors were out of control, which tends to happen with any bad movie getting a sequel.

For example I randomly found an SNL skit from ~2002 where they did a mock scene based on a big rumor that NSync had a cameo in AOTC. .
wesag
AG
That's badass
Flashdiaz
AG
theforce.net ....

wesag
AG
Ambres said:

Weird, I just logged on theforce.net today out of curiosity to see what was posted on it.

Lots of bad feedback for Last Jedi. That's what's on there.
The Collective
AG
The people on that site make politics board posters look rational.
TCTTS
AG
InternetFan02 said:

I want to read an oral history deep dive into the attack of the clones rumors machine. I think Phantom menace was so bad that the outlandish rumors were out of control, which tends to happen with any bad movie getting a sequel.

For example I randomly found an SNL skit from ~2002 where they did a mock scene based on a big rumor that NSync had a cameo in AOTC. .
The casting search for Anakin alone was one of the craziest rumor machines of all time. To this day I can't think of a blockbuster role that saw as much discussion, speculation, and crazy and accurate reports alike. Felt like it lasted forever too. There was also so much hope riding on that movie after the disaster that was The Phantom Menace. Everyone was convinced Lucas would learn from his mistakes and deliver the prequel we always wanted. That said, plot-wise, I don't remember that many way-out-there rumors. Like I said earlier, that production was a pretty leaky ship and we knew A LOT of accurate info fairly early in the process.
fig96
AG
Small world, I actually went to some screenings with Scott in Houston and did a bit of graphics stuff for theforce.net back in the day. Also created a Jedi Symbol font that's still floating around the internet.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome! I'm sure I've seen your work.

As for Scott, I never actually met him, only talked to him via phone/email. There was one time where I was going to be videographer for him and some other guys at some SW convention, since I did a bunch of video stuff in college as well, but it ended up falling through.
agracer
AG
I recall someone wrote a brilliant satire of the Expanded Universe and posted a new 'scene' ever week or so in forums. I C&P the entire thing into a word file but lost it long ago. It was hysterical and just about every character from the EU and the OT was skewered at one point or another. The posters name was "Darth " (something - can't recall).

The second best part of his posts were the fanboys getting offended by his posts. 75% of the posters were laughing at his posts but the rest were trying to argue with him about the characterizations.
Al Bula
AG
I used to consider myself a huge Star Wars buff. Read every EU novel out there. Then someone showed me theforce.net in 1999 or 2000 and I was blown away by the complete level of dorktitude. That site basically threw a cold bucket of water on my love for all things Star Wars.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

There was also so much more hope and excitement in general, simply because we hadn't yet been burned by disappointment. As long as I live, I will be grateful that I got to be there for all that, basically coming of age as the internet was just starting out. It was such a fun time.
This sounds like Fanboys, but done by Richard Linklater.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I hung out on the fanfiction boards on that site when I was in high school and college. The drama and cat fighting on those boards were epic, and they were the only boards on the site that were mostly female. I was an editor for their now-defunct fanfiction archive for a while. I hate to admit it, but between my main account and sock, I had something like 5000 posts on those boards. I did meet some good people and am still friends with them, just off the forums. I hadn't logged in for years until tonight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.