Theater attendance 24-year low

13,647 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.thewrap.com/movie-theater-attendance-hits-24-year-low-ticket-prices-rise-nearly-4-percent/

redd38
AG
Looks like the terrorists won.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Interestingly, I think the prices at the Cinemark in B/CS dropped recently. Even after they tore out all their seats and replaced them with luxury loungers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Netflix
Al Bula
AG
Excellent. Can't wait for the day when quality movies are released directly and there's no need to sit in a room with strangers to see a movie that may or may not be worth it.

If that day never comes, oh well.

This is 2018. The business model that says we all must gather in a theatre to watch a movie is so out dated it is laughable.

Hollywood has just about done every iteration of an idea out there that is marketable.

Noisy brats, over priced junk food, no convenient pause button if someone needs to piss... all good reasons to never step foot into a theatre again.
Liquid Wrench
Some movies are still best viewed on the big screen, but a lot of "comedies" and inspirational or romantic stuff could go straight to on demand.

I also tend to doubt that going to movies is as important to teenagers now as it was to my generations and previous.
The Debt
The writers strike in 2007 didn't help. But that isn't the whole story.

Truth is 2001-2009 were the Bush years and 2004 Hollywood went all out to show their hatred toward the man. During that time hundreds of thousands, if not millions, decided to question where they put their dollars.

The aftermath of that: the demand for content didn't change, it probably grew, which gave rise to alternative media.
The Collective
AG
I will be sad when it dies.
The Milkman
AG
I have stopped going almost entirely because of the general rudeness and thoughtlessness of most of society. I can't tell you the last time I went to a movie when I didn't get annoyed by someone talking, texting/checking their phone, or having kids in a theater that are way too young or out too late.

The experience is ruined very quickly and for what they are charging it's a small chance that I'll actually get through without some jackwad ruining it.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
RPM said:

Excellent. Can't wait for the day when quality movies are released directly and there's no need to sit in a room with strangers to see a movie that may or may not be worth it.

This is 2018. The business model that says we all must gather in a theatre to watch a movie is so out dated it is laughable.

Hollywood has just about done every iteration of an idea out there that is marketable.

Noisy brats, over priced junk food, no convenient pause button if someone needs to piss... all good reasons to never step foot into a theatre again.
As someone who goes to the movies a ton, it hurts to say that this is all true. The business model is just an expanded version of an arcade if you really think about it.
Liquid Wrench
Early matinees are ok when possible.
Frok
AG
I stopped going because I have young kids and no time.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I've remedied this by finding or paying extra for the theaters that have assigned seating. The back row for the win. You think it's too far away, but when the previews start and you realize the screen is bigger than anything you'll ever have it home, it evens out. Also, matinee life 'til I die. Would never go on a weekend night. That's just me though.
scoop12
AG
Theatrical releases still pay the bills for film companies. Until they find a way to replace the cash cow, theaters will still be around.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
scoop12 said:

Theatrical releases still pay the bills for film companies. Until they find a way to replace the cash cow, theaters will still be around.
I mean it's easy, right? As streaming revenues grow, is it not as simple as shifting those studio licenses over time to whoever is offering a home platform? Maybe I'm being reductive and/or don't know how long these studio distribution contracts last, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
The Collective
AG
Frok said:

Unfortunately having young kids doesn't stop some couples from going to the theater.
62strat
AG
scoop12 said:

how is paying a theater $8 any different than paying $8 to the film companies for them to stream it to you at home?
cab559
AG
62strat said:

scoop12 said:

how is paying a theater $8 any different than paying $8 to the film companies for them to stream it to you at home?

$8 per head? Or $8 per household...
scoop12
AG
Streaming means you can share with friends/family and not pay $10 per ticket per head. They've done small trials in the past with offering on demand for like $30-40 while also releasing theateically to see how it compared. People just don't purchase them at the rate they go to movies. Look at the interview. Sony released it primarily on demand because so many theaters wouldn't play it. It bombed even with insane media attention. Yes, attendance is down, but it is still overwhelmingly the cash cow for these films.

Unless the streaming options increase their rates significantly, I'm not sure how they'll catch up to the revenue that theaters provide. There has also been a recent small push for the streaming services to have theateical runs of their movies because audiences are requesting it. I think you'll eventually see it begin to balance out with the big screen being more designated for those films that truly need to be on the big screen. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a Netflix or Amazon create a new theater concept. Will be interesting to see it evolve.

Edit: that was a complete accident for the emoticon.
YellowPot_97
AG
62strat said:

scoop12 said:

you have an 80ft screen in your living room?
PatAg
AG
The Debt said:

The writers strike in 2007 didn't help. But that isn't the whole story.

Truth is 2001-2009 were the Bush years and 2004 Hollywood went all out to show their hatred toward the man. During that time hundreds of thousands, if not millions, decided to question where they put their dollars.

The aftermath of that: the demand for content didn't change, it probably grew, which gave rise to alternative media.
what?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love going to the movies. Seeing the latest Star Wars or Marvel movie is always going to be better on a movie theater screen than a tv at home. There's no way you'd have the same experience at home with a movie like Blade Runner than you would at a movie theater.
wesag
AG
RPM said:

Man I love going to the theater. Not having a pause button means a little more commitment. And I find it less disruptive in other ways. The theater is magical.
wesag
AG
The Milkman said:

I have stopped going almost entirely because of the general rudeness and thoughtlessness of most of society. I can't tell you the last time I went to a movie when I didn't get annoyed by someone talking, texting/checking their phone, or having kids in a theater that are way too young or out too late.

The experience is ruined very quickly and for what they are charging it's a small chance that I'll actually get through without some jackwad ruining it.

We go to the movies with some frequency and really none of these things ever happen in to us. Maybe it is your perception?
Corporal Punishment
AG
Agree with wesag. I rarely have issues at the theatres in BCS. I really like going. My biggest challenge is finding something interesting enough to go see.

I don't understand the Marvel, Superhero, movie re-boot infinite loop we seem to be caught in. My wife and kids have no interest in watching many of those CGI flicks.

I yearn for original stories with strong character development - basically the stuff that online streaming services show.
The Anchor
AG
I have young kids and we seem to go weekly. Also, the new setup in Bryan is NICE. They have walls in between the rows and I don't think I can even see when the people in front of me are on their phones. I am heading there tomorrow for another movie and I will look for this specifically. We love going to the movies!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

I've remedied this by finding or paying extra for the theaters that have assigned seating. The back row for the win. You think it's too far away, but when the previews start and you realize the screen is bigger than anything you'll ever have it home, it evens out. Also, matinee life 'til I die. Would never go on a weekend night. That's just me though.
This.

I enjoy seeing movies on the big screen. And while home theater technology is good, it can never compare to a theater with that huge screen. Some movies need to be seen at the theater.
wangus12
AG
Alamo Drafthouse is awesome. Almost always cheaper than Cinemark or AMC and they toss people who are rude.

Never have had a bad experience there. I go see probably 20-25 movies a year there and that won't change.
Frok
AG
CJS4715 said:

Frok said:

Unfortunately having young kids doesn't stop some couples from going to the theater.

I will say the drive-in theatre is pretty awesome when you have kids. The problem is the movies generally start late and most of the year it's too damn hot. And my kids like to pick up rocks and throw them.

Jasomania
AG
Honestly this just feels like the theaters are reaping what they sowed

I worked at an AMC back in college (a while ago at this point) and if you work at any theater you are going to get multiple people a day complaining about how high the cost is of tickets and especially concessions. So in training they tried to feed us some lines about why everything was so expensive. They said "think about movies as more of an entertainment experience like going to six flags and you'll see its actually not that much at all". Well I think people finally took their advice and are going to the movies like they would a theme park, a few times a year and only when its an event movie.

I'd see families of four drop 40-50 on tickets and then sometimes as much as 100 on concessions, its ridiculous to think people are going to drop that kind of money every week for the new releases. You can wait 6 months buy the movie on bluray and throw it in the garbage when you are done and it still be much cheaper than going to the theater.

It's more than just theaters and concessions are too expensive. Its cheaper than ever to buy a 65 inch + TV and surround sound to create a theater experience at home. The gap between theatrical release and home video release is shorter than ever and sometimes only a couple of months. Streaming is creating it's own movies that are as good if not better than whats been released in theaters (speaking on the drama and comedy fronts) and are going to continue to create more original movies.

I think we are at the moment for theaters where music was when napster was released. Either theaters can adapt or they will die out. They are doing some things right; alamo drafthouse / SMG are a great, the move to reserved seating is a huge plus, and the recliner / bigger more comfortable seats are a smart move. But none of those thing really drive at the high cost, 5 dollar matinees is nice but its still 20+ dollar popcorn and soda.
Velvet Jones
AG
wangus12 said:

Alamo Drafthouse is awesome. Almost always cheaper than Cinemark or AMC and they toss people who are rude.

Never have had a bad experience there. I go see probably 20-25 movies a year there and that won't change.
First showing on Sunday morning at Alamo is pretty much all the wife and I will put up with these days.

Mostly empty and a couple of good beers to temper what few annoyances there are.
62strat
AG
cab559 said:

62strat said:

scoop12 said:

$8 per head? Or $8 per household...
Charge $8 per household.. and then watch the viewership increase.

Blockbuster charged what $5 a rental?

Netflix charges $8 a month? Oh but how can that make any money?!?!
62strat
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

62strat said:

scoop12 said:

Because watching Judd Apatow's latest knee slapper requires an 80' screen?
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Amen.
javajaws
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

62strat said:

scoop12 said:

You don't need an 80ft screen when you're sitting 12' from it - an 8ft screen will do just fine.

Admittedly not everyone has a home theater in their house, but they are more common than you think. And the people who can afford to take their family out to a movie every few weeks are the EXACT people who are more likely than not to also have a home theater in their house.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.