hateful 8

3,631 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ag 11
lespaul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love QT movies and have zero problem with the language/shock factors/gore

I was excited that Netflix had hateful 8 for download (surprised I hadn't yet seen it because I am a yuge fan of QT) so I downloaded and watched on a plane yesterday. I was jazzed.

Man was I disappointed. Great actors (Samuel Jackson was born for these types of roles and man is he good). Kurt Russell was really good.

With that said, I found it super long and boring. Not much happened in my opinion.

I almost fell asleep a few times and by the end, didn't really care how it ended.

am I the only one? Perhaps I am not sophisticated enough for a one room whodunit thriller and need some action.

AggieTarheel
AG
Not the only one. I still enjoyed it, but I'm in the clear minority.
SJEAg
AG
I enjoyed it. Not sure what my expectations were...I like QT a lot but am not a fanatic (I also waited for Netflix on this).

Characters were interesting, good dialogue like always, and it wasn't predictable.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought it was a top 3 QT movie.
brents1975
I thought it was great!
"That's a loss for our football team." - Dennis Franchione
Texaggie7nine
Watching it on a plane is not really experiencing it as you should. It was filmed in Ultra Panavision which is meant to be seen on a big screen. The cinematography is beautiful.
7nine
powerbelly
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I thought it was a top 3 QT movie.
This was how I feel.

But I also am not a huge QT fan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I liked it more on subsequent viewings, but it's still not on par with Django, Basterds, Pulp Fiction, etc.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I saw it in 70mm and enjoyed it but it's far from my favorite QT flick.
AcctAg11
AG
I liked it and have watched it a few times now, but it's not my favorite QT movie either.

My main faults with it revolve around the plot. I feel like it would've been better if he had just made it a full murder mystery. It feels like that was supposed to be the main plot, but it took too long to ramp up and was resolved too quickly.

Maybe I am wrong, but the plot just seems disjointed. Almost like he wrote two different stories and then tried to make the movie from pieces of the two.

Tatum's character also seemed to be revealed too quickly as well, which made the ending seem to drag out.

Just my thoughts.
Texaggie7nine
I agree with being let down by the overall plot. Seemed anticlimactic and pretty bland. I did like when it became a who-done-it but it ended up not being that interesting a twist. Still fun to watch.
7nine
expresswrittenconsent
I thought it was great. I let it sit on my for for a year because I never felt like watching it, but when I finally got around to watching it recently, I really enjoyed it.
I found it to have a "rewatchability" quality that were common in his older films but lacking in django and basterds. Dont get me wrong, django and basterds are both quality QT films, but for me neither one is a film I will stop down on if I pass it on tv while flipping channels.
Ulrich
Tarantino is pretty hit and miss for me. H8 is probably my least favorite movie ever in spite of the cinematography.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I liked it, but didn't love it. It took me about 3 viewings to get through it, I kept falling asleep. Which usually happens to me during bad movies.
Ragoo
AG
AcctAg11 said:

I liked it and have watched it a few times now, but it's not my favorite QT movie either.

My main faults with it revolve around the plot. I feel like it would've been better if he had just made it a full murder mystery. It feels like that was supposed to be the main plot, but it took too long to ramp up and was resolved too quickly.

Maybe I am wrong, but the plot just seems disjointed. Almost like he wrote two different stories and then tried to make the movie from pieces of the two.

Tatum's character also seemed to be revealed too quickly as well, which made the ending seem to drag out.

Just my thoughts.
it was pretty made ch reservoir dogs as a western.
schmendeler
AG
Terrible movie to watch on a plane. Pretty much the only movie suitable for plane watching is one starring Will Ferrell.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Good movie...didn't quite live up to the hype for me.
BassCowboy33
I loved it. I got suckered by all the twists.
Liquid Wrench
Never made it through. Guess I needed to see it on the big screen.
rhoswen
AG
*whew* I'm glad I'm not the only one. Just put it on today and got a healthy nap out of it.
snowdog90
I've written a western that is much better than Hateful 8. I know I'll take heat for saying that, but... Tarantino is great at writing cool dialogue, but H8 just didn't strike me as a good western. All the "gunfights" were basically just executions, no drama or tension at all. Who didn't know that Channing Tatum was going to get killed immediately when he stuck his head out of the basement?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I've written a western that is much better than Hateful 8.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I want to read this western.
snowdog90
Bruce Almighty said:

I want to read this western.
If you're serious, I'll send it to you. I entered it into a screenplay contest a couple weeks ago.
Jim01
AG
I'll take a read if you don't mind.
snowdog90
I'll send it to you. How long do you think it will take for you to read it? I only ask because I am looking for feedback. My sister called it amazing and my best friend for 35 years called it awesome. Though I love that feedback, it's hard to trust it from such biased readers. I like to think it's really good (and as I said, the story is much better than H8, and I have no doubt it would be better than H8 if made into a movie), but I'd love to have some unbiased feedback.
pfo
AG
I wasn't going to see it because of all QT's political and gun control crappy comments. But I finally broke down and went to see it in the theater.

Wow, what a movie. I just couldn't believe what I was watching. I was into every bit of it and loved the character development. The actors/characters were so enthusiastic with their roles I found it totally infectious.

Most movies are predictable, follow the same ole tired formulae and are easy to figure out. Not the Hatefull 8 and not Pulp Fiction!

Serious Lee
ill read if its under 100-120 pages.
snowdog90
Uncle Gunnysack said:

ill read if its under 100-120 pages.
I tried to make it 120 pages, but I was writing it in Times New Roman, which is a no-no. When I converted it to Courier, it was over 160 pages. I got it cut down to 153, which is where it's at now. I'm looking at other places in the script to cut or trim, but I did as much as I could before the entry deadline to the contest I entered. As it took me several years to write this, it feels like every page is necessary, but I'm sure I can get it down some more, though down to 120 will be tough.

Actually, what I could see with this is expanding it to a 6-8 part mini-series. But that's all pie-in-the-sky stuff.
Jim01
AG
Maybe a day or two to read it I would guess.
snowdog90
Jim01 said:

Maybe a day or two to read it I would guess.
Just sent it to you, hope you like it. I look forward to hearing what you think.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Well did anyone read it?
Complete Idiot
You can tell it was good by the lack of response, I imagine they were trying to buy the rights but keep it quiet. Probably a bidding war but by not extolling it's greatness they could limit their bidding competitors.
Jimmy McNulty
Ag 11
AG
Post it so we can read it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.