****Books Read in 2018****

15,227 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YouBet
Clavell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just to keep this traditional thread going.

1) Branden Sanderson's The Way of Kings. Began last year, but finished 2018. Read after seeing several recommendations. Thought well done and will certainly keep reading. Worried that this series is only at Book 3 out of planned 10 book series, but author is much more regular in his books then others. Therefore should finish by my early 70s.(A)

Next: Decided not to jump into Book 2 since like to mix my reading genre's up. Will certainly read in next few months though. Instead:
David Baldacci's The Camel Club. Another first in a series, but looks like more stand alone detective stories.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Finished Oathbringer, book 3 of the Stormlight Archive by Sanderson. Give it a solid A. Need to go back and read the novellas and Mistborn series.

Just started City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin to finish out the Passage trilogy. First of the 3 was fantastic, and the 2nd was solid but not quite as riveting as the first. He writes a lot of setup before the plot really gets going. I get a kick out of Kerrvile being a central location to the plot, being from Boerne and all.
Clavell
AG
Interesting. Read Mistborn trilogy last year. Thought it was good enough to start the Stormlight Archive series. My only issue with Mistborn was so much time spent on the "science" of the magic was a little distracting and didn't really add much for me.

Also completed Cronin's The Passage series last year. While was hard for me to remember all the character connections from first two books did like finale.

"Facts no longer exist. Everything is a "point of view" now."
Daniel Suarez's 2011 "Freedom"
Forum Troll
AG
Finished The Way of Kings over the past 2 weeks as well. Haven't been this excited about a fantasy series since I first read The Eye of the World when I was a teenager. On to Words of Radiance, Edgedancer, and Oathbringer then probably Mistborn.

Doesn't look like he'll die anytime soon. Really loved the last books in WoT that he finished and wrote.

Also read The Watchmen for the first time which is really good and Flashpoint which I'm hoping WB doesn't screw up for the movie as its an excellent story.
gcracker13
AG
I don't usually post but this was one of my favorite threads to follow last year. Thanks to those that keep up with it, I check back in relatively often for new recommendations.

Working on Extreme Ownership right now
Spaceball 1
AG
Artemis, by the guy who wrote the Martian. Fun read, not Martian good or even close.

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Great read. The Middle East blows and always has.

Off to be the Wizard. Super fun totally unique.

Way of Kings. Like the other reviews, it just shows up a ton in best fantasy lists. I liked it but wasn't blown away like I was with GoT and The Name of the Wind.
Tanya 93
Give a Girl a Knife by Amy Thielen. Great memoir by a chef I really like.

Oh and The Gravity Falls Journal with my son. Lepricorns are my new favorite animal.
bangobango
AG
The Last Wish - Witcher series first novel.

Starting Oathbringer.
Deputy Travis Junior
Spaceball 1 said:

Artemis, by the guy who wrote the Martian. Fun read, not Martian good or even close.

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Great read. The Middle East blows and always has.

Off to be the Wizard. Super fun totally unique.

Way of Kings. Like the other reviews, it just shows up a ton in best fantasy lists. I liked it but wasn't blown away like I was with GoT and The Name of the Wind.

Somebody paid attention during one of those speed reading lessons.
mrsbeer05
AG
The ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman- audiobook read by him. I love his voice and am growing to really like his books. A+
Spaceball 1
AG
More like a books I've read in the last 3 months.
Deputy Travis Junior
I figured. That's a lot of books for January fifth.
Chipotlemonger
AG
About halfway through ASOIAF. Agreed with other posts that this is a great thread that I enjoy keeping on the watch list.
AgHawkeye
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

The ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman- audiobook read by him. I love his voice and am growing to really like his books. A+

I took my daughter to see him when he came to Austin. He read from Norse Muthology and she has been asking ever since for audiobooks of him reading. Only one I could let her listen to was The Graveyard Book but we had fun with that.
mrsbeer05
AG
Don't know how old your daughter is but this would be okay for 5th grade+.
AgHawkeye
AG
It probably depends on personal preference. My daughter is 4th grade and we actually listened with son who is first. The opening scene is probably the worst as there is violence that is inferred more than described. No real sexual stuff which bothers me the most with kids. Not much language if I remember.

My kids did fine with it and although there are dark themes Gaimen keeps its lighthearted. It is more difficult to screen listening than reading to them though as I can change words or lighten things myself.
nai06
AG
Horrorstr by Grady Hendrix -A

Something strange is happening at the Orsk furniture superstore in Cleveland, Ohio. Every morning, employees arrive to find broken Kjerring bookshelves, shattered Glans water goblets, and smashed Liripip wardrobes. Sales are down, security cameras reveal nothing, and store managers are panicking. To unravel the mystery, three employees volunteer to work a nine-hour dusk-till-dawn shift. In the dead of the night, they'll patrol the empty showroom floor, investigate strange sights and sounds, and encounter horrors that defy the imagination.

I really liked this book which is set in an Ikea knock off store. The book itself is designed to look like an Ikea catalog complete with fake furniture diagrams and order forms. My only complaint was that it wasnt longer (it literally is the size of an Ikea catalog) and didn't have a sequel. But its a fun way to kill a couple of hours or less and the attention to detail and lampooning of Ikea was spot on.
getme
I just started on The Monster Hunter Files, it's an anthology set in the MHI Universe with lots of well-known scifi/ fantasy writers involved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1481482750/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

very good so far.
Frok
AG
Currently Reading:

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant - It's a little history, educational, and suspense thriller. It takes place in far east Russia and teaches a lot about the circumstances of how everything became the way it is there. Plus dives into many Tiger-facts which I never knew. Interesting reading that I am enjoying very much.

Currently Listening during my commute:

Golden Sun (Red Rising Book 2) by Pierce Brown - This is a good series however I often have a difficult time following which I think is due to listening rather than reading. I seem to miss the breaks which can make scene transitions difficult. It takes me a minute or two to realize a new scene has started whereas when reading I would see the page break or something to indicate the story is moving on.

mrsbeer05
AG
Just started Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. On chapter 4 and totally hooked.
CubbieAggie
AG
Frok said:

Golden Sun (Red Rising Book 2) by Pierce Brown - This is a good series however I often have a difficult time following which I think is due to listening rather than reading. I seem to miss the breaks which can make scene transitions difficult. It takes me a minute or two to realize a new scene has started whereas when reading I would see the page break or something to indicate the story is moving on.

I'm currently reading Morning Star (Red Rising Book 3). I can see how it would be difficult to just listen to these. The chapter breaks and, even more so, the part breaks can really jump around in location and timeline. The books are a really fun read, and I highly recommend them. Trying to finish up before Iron Gold comes out next week.
Tanya 93
Tanya 93 said:

Oh and The Gravity Falls Journal with my son. Lepricorns are my new favorite animal.
2) 32 Yolks by Eric Ripert
3) Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

G Martin 87
AG
Currently reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
getme
Tanya 93 said:

Tanya 93 said:

All of Bourdain's stuff is pretty good, I want to read some of his fiction
Thriller
AG
1). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
2). The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

In progress (for school):
The Glorious Cause - Robert Middlekauf
Patterns of World History: Volume One - Sivers, Desnoyers & Stow
Human Diversity in Education - Kenneth Cushner

Up next: Patterns of World History: Volume Two and Starlight Archive Book 2
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
O'reilly's "Killing England " - easy reading and interesting !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
GIF Reactor
AG
The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto. Good book, easy read.

Dog Man. On the recommendation from my kids. Funny book, easy read.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I followed this thread last year. Made a commitment to start reading more in 2018.

First one down was The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*** (I highly recommend this book). I recently finished Jurassic Park and started For Whom the Bell Tolls last night. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is reading this year.
Rosie11
AG
Finished:
Power of Habit and Smarter Faster Better By Charles Duhigg

Reading:
A Jack Reacher book (can't remember the title, they all run together at this point)

Up next:
-Iron Gold by Pierce Brown (Really excited about this. I've read the series twice now)
-Extreme Ownership By Jocko Willink

Tanya 93
Electrical_Ag said:

Read all three. Very, very funny.
Second one is my favorite.
Tanya 93
Tanya 93 said:

Tanya 93 said:

4) Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter
5) Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niefenegger. I really liked this strange twist on a ghost story.
6) A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain
7) Voracious by Cara Nicoletti (reread for book club)

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain is next
Forum Troll
AG
Finished Words of Radiance and Edgedancer this week. Just started Oathbringer today.
Josepi
AG
Frok said:

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant - It's a little history, educational, and suspense thriller. It takes place in far east Russia and teaches a lot about the circumstances of how everything became the way it is there. Plus dives into many Tiger-facts which I never knew. Interesting reading that I am enjoying very much.

I really enjoyed this book.
Orozco05
Finished Oathbringer late last night. Loved it. I've read all of Sanderson's stuff, Robert Jordan's, and waiting on the third book for Kingkiller Chronicles. Any recs for similar series?
Tanya 93
Tanya 93 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Read all three. Very, very funny.
Second one is my favorite.

Found out a 4th was released Dec 26th.

I am number 4 on the waiting list at the library.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.