The Greatest Showman

4,398 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tx1c
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw it with my mom and came home and bought the soundtrack. The numbers are very catchy and I felt like they did a good job of telling the story although a few liberties were taken (it wouldn't be a movie if they didn't). I love musicals and I think this is now in my top 5.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Will take my wife to see it only to ensure getting laid afterwards.
wangus12
AG
My girlfriend refuses to go see it, but I'd like to catch it in theatres
mrsbeer05
AG
wangus12 said:

My girlfriend refuses to go see it, but I'd like to catch it in theatres
Dude is she blind? Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron- doesn't get much better than that for eye candy IMO
wangus12
AG
They're both dulled by just how damn good looking I am. In reality, she really hates musicals
AgEng06
AG
Going to watch it this evening with my wife. She picked it out, but I think it will be pretty good.

I actually looked on here earlier to see if there was a thread on it.
duck79
AG
Took the kids this weekend to see it and they loved it.
c-jags
Saw it with the family today. A super sanitized and prettied up version of the truth but still liked it more than Last Jedi.

Great numbers and Hugh Jackman never disappoints. Except for the Fountain.
Belton Ag
AG
wangus12 said:

They're both dulled by just how damn good looking I am. In reality, she really hates musicals
She's a keeper.
AgEng06
AG
We really enjoyed it as well.
Aust Ag
AG
c-jags said:

Saw it with the family today. A super sanitized and prettied up version of the truth but still liked it more than Last Jedi.

What' the "truth"? Are you just saying it strays alot from actual events?
c-jags
It strays a **** ton from actual events. I mean it's cool because it's a fun musical but they over moralized PT Barnum. Half of his career was being a con man.

Now, they touch on how he knows he's selling a lie but it's entertaining and he gives his audience their money's worth.
Not a Bot
AG
Fun movie.

Based on a cursory reading of Wikipedia, events not accurate, particularly the timeline. However, he was more morally complicated than given credit for. His circus burned down as a likely response to his anti-slavery/pro-union stance during the civil war. His first mansion also burned during that timeframe.

Liked the music. Characters well played. Interesting choice to CGI Tom Thumb's legs to make him appear shorter.
TXAG 05
AG
Saw it this afternoon, thought it was pretty good. Like others have said, don't go in expecting a PT Barnum biopic. It's just a fun musical loosely based on him.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Aust Ag said:

c-jags said:

What' the "truth"? Are you just saying it strays alot from actual events?
Added in a scene where he uses his adamantium claws to kill the Ringling Brothers.
aggiegrad01
AG
It sounded like "Coldplay" wrote all the songs.
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Added in a scene where he uses his adamantium claws to kill the Ringling Brothers.

Okay, now I might be interested.
Hwy30East
My daughter wanted to go see this the other day, so I went with her. I didn't even realize it was a musical beforehand, but I did enjoy it. The music is great!!

I will say this is a movie you need to see in a theater, and not just at home on TV.
c-jags
aggiegrad01 said:

As somebody who admits to liking Coldplay, I don't know where you get that. It was very show tuney
TCSD84
Jackman can't sing. Eot.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Hey, look - the thread's still going!
jr15aggie
AG
It's strange that I really like certain musicals because my first instinct to their trailers is "what is this crap!"

Moulin Rouge and Across the Universe are my two favorites that I own and rewatch from time to time.

My wife usually thinks they are strange, but she wants to see this one and take the family... I'm there.

edit: Can O Brother Where Art Thou be considered a musical? If it does then add that to my list... Friggin love that movie!
mrsbeer05
AG
Love across the universe!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I friggin hate musicals, but we went to this while out of town and I enjoyed it. They definitely played fast and loose with PT Barnum's story, but still enjoyable film. Music was catchy.
TexasAggies06
AG
aggiegrad01 said:

Saw it tonight. I liked pretty much all of the music except the one sang by Jackman and Efron in the bar when Barnum is trying to recruit Carlyle (looked it up and it's called "The Other Side"). I swear that song was written by Florida Georgia Line or some other such "Bro-Country" act. A little of that fake overdone "twang" in their voices and it could be played on any modern country station and no one would have any idea it was from a movie.
ATM9000
AG
Family went today and it was enjoyable.

Sidebar: every guy I know has to make a point before they say they like a musical or movie musical that 'oh I don't normally like musicals but' and they say it about basically every live or movie musical they see. They also have to say 'I saw it with my <insert female relative> when they wouldn't do that for any other movie (like I just did I guess). It's a tired and a silly caveat. Everyone likes musicals and saying so doesn't make anyone think you are any more or less gay. While style of music might differ a tad they are all the same. Big melodic songs (similar to country music that all the real men love right?), visually large with dancing and movement and typically big costumes and sets. They are one of the rawest and basic appeal to your senses multiple senses forms of entertainment that there is. Stories don't take much to follow and they just do everything they can to pull on your visual and auditory senses. They are just massively large dumb appeal to your senses.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You are off the mark with me. The reason I don't like them has zero to do with a manliness factor. I'm old enough to not give 2 ****s about what anyone thinks of my taste in movies, whether it's stuff I like or hate. When it comes to musicals, I just think it's a completely boring waste of time when stories are constantly breaking into song. I very rarely find it entertaining.

So mentioning my disdain for musicals is not intended to be any sort of manly cover or disclaimer. It's saying "here's something I usually hate but they did such a goof job with this one that I liked it". That's it. It's simply intended to convey how good of a job I thought they did on it.
bangobango
AG
I am a big fan of musicals. I loved this one. The fact this is at 50% on Rotten Tomatoes and The Last Jedi is at 90% makes me think most movie critics are just complete morons.
bangobango
AG
Btw, packed theatre on Saturday night and everybody clapped at the end.
duck79
AG
Our 4yr old daughter asked on Saturday to play "greatest showman music" so she could dance around the house. We put the soundtrack on thru YouTube and proceeded to laugh while she had the best time dancing which at the end of the day are what movies like this are all about.
c-jags
bangobango said:

Btw, packed theatre on Saturday night and everybody clapped at the end.
we went and saw it again just to get out of the house during the freeze last week. packed theater on a Tuesday night. i feel like audiences keep giving the critics the finger on this one.
bangobango
AG
Quote:

So while Jumanji wowed with its staying power as a family entertainment, Showman embarked on its only leggy run across the boards that slowly transformed it over the holiday season and throughout January from box office disappointment to something that is oft-thought extinct: it became a sleeper hit. In its second weekendrotating around New Year's Eveit rocked in 2018 by actually increasing its three-day tally by 76 percent, earning $15.5 million. Granted, it also added 310 screens as it opened wider, and also didn't suffer through the plunge of its first Sunday falling on Dec. 24 (not a big moviegoing day for the Christmas Eve faithful). But throughout January, it has stayed consistently in the top 5 of each weekend, dropping less than 15 percent from week to week. And this past weekend, despite the film having lost over 800 screens from the height of its release, The Greatest Showman grew its audience by 17.5 percent, and finished in the top three of the holiday weekend.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-greatest-showman/270375/the-greatest-showman-what-a-sleeper-box-office-run-means

Seriously, between this and The Last Jedi critic scores, I have to really question what the hell these critics are doing. Something seems off with these reviews this Holiday season.
chiken
AG
Saw TGS today and I am in love with the Never Enough scene and song. I loved the "dancing" between Zac and Zendaya. I thought the CGI little person and animals was a bit silly, but it didn't take away from the movie.

tx1c
AG
Just got in from seeing it (thanks, movie pass).
My wife and I both loved it.
Probably going to go again soon so the kids can see it. There doesn't seem to be this kind movie very often.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.