***Godless***

5,611 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieChemist
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started seeing trailers for this a few weeks ago and apparently it's out today. Anyone heard much about this? I'm always interested in good western settings, and I recognize a few great actors.
Max Power
AG
Plan on starting this after I finish up The Punisher, I'll watch just about any western out there so I'm looking forward to it.
f burg ag
AG
I binged the entire series after turkey with the in laws. I liked it a lot. It took several common plots/cliches from other westerns.....but it would be hard not to. The plot, acting and scenery were strong. Had a bit of a Bad Girls feel at times, but not over the top so I did not mind it. I was very weary of Jeff Bridges being a western outlaw, but he pulled it off and then some IMO.
combat wombat™
AG
I watched the first episode last night. I'm not sure I get it yet.
f burg ag
AG
Don't give up after first episode. It is confusing but comes together very quickly.
combat wombat™
AG
I was planning on watching again.
TxAgg07
AG
Two episodes in and we're liking it. Jeff Daniels does a good job pulling off the bad guy.
PlanoAggie
AG
I think you guys mean, Jeff Daniels, not Bridges.

Anyway, I've watched the 1st episode -- I want to like it, but not quite sold on it yet. I'll give it another episode to suck me in. We'll see
BEaggie08
AG
PlanoAggie said:

I think you guys mean, Jeff Daniels, not Bridges.

Anyway, I've watched the 1st episode -- I want to like it, but not quite sold on it yet. I'll give it another episode to suck me in. We'll see
Dammit. I was excited about this show if it was Jeff Bridges, Jeff Daniels not so much.

I'll still give it a shot, but was hoping for Bridges.
OldCamp
I liked it and agree they pulled some very common western cliches, but they seemed to work really well.
Jeff Daniels pulled off the villain just fine.
I was OK with the length...it allowed for some good character development and incredible scenery.
Some of the violence, language, and nudity was a little over the top for me for a western, but this is typical of Netflix productions. I'd like to see more family oriented westerns like I watched growing up as a kid. Either way, Netflix should definitely pursue this genre more.

Leggo My Elko
AG
I'm 4 episodes in so far and love it, then again I'm a sucker for westerns. If anything is a half decent western I love it.
Always_Right
AG
Just finished it, thought it was good.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Presley OBannons Sword
finished last night. thought it was great.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Just finished it up tonight. I really enjoyed the show but am I the only one that thought the last episode was really, really bad compared to the rest of the series?
Trident 88
AG
I didn't think the last episode was all bad, but the shootout was pretty ridiculous. Too many unnecessarily/unrealistically risky decisions made.
I liked the show a lot until then. Jeff Daniels did a fine job as the villain, and Jack O'Connell (from Unbroken) was excellent as Roy Goode.
Max Power
AG
I really enjoyed it, but thought it was just good, not great. Now I want some more westerns.
usmcbrooks
PineTreeAg said:

I liked it and agree they pulled some very common western cliches, but they seemed to work really well.
I was OK with the length...it allowed for some good character development and incredible scenery.
Some of the violence, language, and nudity was a little over the top for me for a western, but this is typical of Netflix productions. I'd like to see more family oriented westerns like I watched growing up as a kid. Either way, Netflix should definitely pursue this genre more.

So in your opinion this was not an accurate representation of the time period? Jeff Daniels was absolutely superb in this series, I will watch again. Hopefully they can take this series and do it like True Detective. But please, don't let the second season suck outloud.
BwdAg
AG
Good for the first 3 episodes and then it fell into the crapper. The last episodes were not good at all.
OldCamp
Quote:

So in your opinion this was not an accurate representation of the time period?

I'd say Godless is probably accurate enough for a movie in portraying a mining town.

I was mainly lamenting the lack of family oriented westerns like I used to watch as a kid. I'd like my kids to have some new westerns to watch but they are rare.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PineTreeAg said:

just going out on a limb here...but I'm gonna guess you never watched Deadwood then????
Tobias Funke
AG
Trident 88 said:

I didn't think the last episode was all bad, but the shootout was pretty ridiculous. Too many unnecessarily/unrealistically risky decisions made.
I liked the show a lot until then. Jeff Daniels did a fine job as the villain, and Jack O'Connell (from Unbroken) was excellent as Roy Goode.

Pretty much this. I really enjoyed the show but that part was pretty over the top / eye-rolly.

Jeff Daniels was great
Tobias Funke
AG
Also, I was quite amused to see the kid from Love Actually grown up and playing a cowboy, but also still learning instruments and falling in love with black girls
Bunk Moreland
Really enjoyed this series. Well done by Netflix. Easy, simple, beautiful landscapes, and well executed.

Take 3 basic storylines and wrap them with sub plots that provide context and help move along the story. That's all you need.

A few cringey moments and it felt like halfway through the editing process someone told them to turn a 10 episode miniseries into 7, but I still enjoyed.

I loved the final episode and scene some here didn't care for, even with its faults. Really intense.

I was hoping Griggs would have died a random death (maybe by mistake at the hands of the line survivor of the mine accident or something) after escaping the gunfight alive and thinking he'd make it.
Ag_07
AG
I finished this up last night and thought it was overall really good. I liked it a lot

I liked how it started kind of random and then was all tied together as it progressed through the flashbacks of each character. Very well done

The only thing I didn't like that had me cringing was the poorly executed CG fire during the shootout. After all the great scenery, nice camera work, and spot on acting it stuck out like a sore thumb.
unimboti nkum
AG
Jeff Daniels was bad. Really bad.
Bunk Moreland
unimboti nkum said:

Really? I thought he did great.
Ag_07
AG
unimboti nkum said:

I didn't think I would like him as a creepy villain, but I thought he was impressive.

I thought all the acting was pretty good.

I really liked Kim Coates as the mine security guy. Thought that was cast perfectly. Actually come to think of it all the casting was well done.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Jeff Daniels played a bad guy really well, his performance was anything but bad. He will win something for it.

Enjoyed the series.

Deadwood is waaaaay better tho.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Watched this series over the past week or so. Excellent show! Really enjoyed it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Should I watch Deadwood then? Wasn't it ended early? Or is it good enough to watch anyways?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Should I watch Deadwood then? Wasn't it ended early? Or is it good enough to watch anyways?

Deadwood is amazing..... it just did not get much traction for whatever reason.

But 3 seasons is still allowed it enough time to have some real depth and lasting impact for me.... it's fans were highly devoted.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I'm 2 episodes in and.....

I'm enjoying it, but not yet hooked. I won't stop watching, just waiting for the moment it grabs me.

Bridges is good, surprisingly better than I would imagine. the rest of the cast is solid although I have a hard time so far watching Lady Mary (downton abbey) in that western setting and I keep wanting Gordon Clark (halt and catch fire) to hack something together out of parts lying around the office.

The guy playing Roy Goode is actually really good!! I want more Sam Waterston though.

ok........ i'll check back in after I finish.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Well I finished it.... would definitely say I got hooked by episode 3.....

but in the end I still don't know how I feel about it.

It was certainly good, well made and acted.... just doesn't resonate with me much.

I guess it's the story. Seemed a little drawn out - the sheriff just wandering around for weeks only to come right back home. Seems like it could have been wrapped up a lot sooner.

I enjoyed the Roy Goode story more than any others...and with the woman Alice and son Truckee.

and I loved the Whitey Win character and actor - the kid from GOT who played Jojen......and then they killed him unceremoniously.

Didn't much care for anyone else so I didn't really care what happened to the town or Griffin and his posse.

Well I guess it's not going to be a regular thing anyway - like no season 2 everyone is pretty much dead or gone except the sheriff and his sister.

LHIOB
AG
I kept waiting for this to get good but it never did. I thought it was pretty terrible outside of a few things.

It was so predictable boring.
ac04
Chipotlemonger said:

Should I watch Deadwood then?
yes
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.