SCI-FI or Fantasy franchise series you'd like to see on the screen

2,103 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mathguy64
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The great thing about Sci-Fi and Fantasy is that the writers aren't limited to Earth and our planet's history and science. They even find ways to tinker with the laws of physics in some novel ways...

That said, every story is really about characters, human or other.

What series/universe would you like to see replicated on the screen?

I'd really like for someone to make "The Stainless Steel Rat" series. It seems easy to adapt to the screen and there's lots of material for several-many good movies. It's extensible to "new" stories following the Harrison tradition.

E.E. "Doc" Smith's "Galactic Patrol" series would be a good one. Very Good-vs-Evil

Also, Scott Sigler's "Infected" trilogy could adapt well. (Except for one key sequence in book 1, which is actually pretty essential to the story, but could be lightened up for the screen.)

Finally, Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" series would be interesting.

A few great series that I considered, but decided would NOT make good movie series: Thomas Covenant chronicles (the anti-hero is too mopey to draw a following), Dune (too cerebral/philosophical at its core, which doesn't translate to dialog/action well - this despite the news/rumors that someone is going to try it.)

If you haven't read any of these, I highly recommend them

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'd like to see Asimov's Robot series on screen, not I,Robot, which bore little actual resemblance to Asimov's book but books like The Caves of Steel or The Robots of Dawn.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Honor Harrington
NColoradoAG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I'd like to see Asimov's Robot series on screen, not I,Robot, which bore little actual resemblance to Asimov's book but books like The Caves of Steel or The Robots of Dawn.
HBO had been rumored to be doing The Foundation, but I think WestWorld took that spot. I would love to see The Foundation done on HBO, Netfilx, or Amazon.

I also think Scalzi's Old Man's War universe would make for a good multi year series.

As for a film, I hope The Forever War will come to fruition. It seems to have been in writing/production limbo for years. That is one of, if not my favorite, stand alone Sci Fi novel.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Revelation Space series Alistair Reynolds
Specifically Chasm city which could stand alone.

Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Old Man's War by Joe Scalzi

The Foundation series by Asimov ( at least the first book or so, this one might be hard to do though)

The Uplift Series by David Brin ( I know this guy wrote the book that the Postman is based on but this series is better in my opinion)

Fail NColoradoAG said 3 of mine. too slow.
Clem
I'd really love to see the Frostborn series brought to HBO. It is a nice 15 book series that follows the decedents of a Roman-era Arthurian Britain who came through a world gate over a thousand years before the books take place. The central plot revolves around preventing an ancient enemy (the Frostborn) from returning and uncovers a deeper malevolence at work.

The author does an excellent job of world-building and the characters are compelling and interesting.
OCEN99
AG
Cixin Liu's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy
MW03
AG
The Gentlemen *******s series by Scott Lynch would probably be pretty good.

The Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown would probably make a good movie if they can avoid making it to YA.

The Dresden Files are freaking primed for a Netflix project if funded appropriately. Same with Monster Hunter.

Sanderson's Stormlight series would be impossible to translate, but I'd love to see them try. Same with the original Mistborn books.

Thunder18
AG
I agree with everything you posted
maverick2076
Old Man's War
The Gentleman ******* Sequence
Phule's Company
The Norby Chronicles
The Night Angel Trilogy

The Stormlight Archive, although it would ddfinitely have to be a TV show and not a movie.
TX AG 88
AG
Damn, when I thought of starting this thread, I meant to include Forever War and Old Man's War. Too long between conception and implementation, and I'm too forgetful!

Red Rising would be a great one too!!! (and agreed, must (but probably hard to) avoid the YA lure - already primed for disappointment here.)
rhoswen
AG
Same thing I've said for years, the Dragonriders of Pern
G Martin 87
AG
The Stainless Steel Rat would be fun. Bill, the Galactic Hero would be even better. (Probably have to be animated, like Archer.) Keith Laumer's Retief short stories would also be a lot of fun.

On similar threads in the past, David Eddings' Belgariad/Mallorean series got a lot of votes.

I'm a big fan of Jessica Salmonson's Tomoe Gozen trilogy.
Eliminatus
AG
So easy for me. But....the people are not ready for it methinks...

Warhammer 40K

Eliminatus
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Honor Harrington
David Weber was approached and agreed to a tv series like a decade ago. A studio was even found and all final talks were had and everything was confirmed.

Have not heard a Peep (heh) since.
PatAg
AG
We've done this thread before, but it's been awhile and it doesn't get old.

In addition to some mentioned, I always go back to The Belgariad series (and the mallorean) by David Eddings.
Thunder18
AG
I guess this would fall more in the fantasy realm, but I am stoked about The Witcher being adapted by Netflix. The games are excellent, but the books are great too! Very excited to see how it turns out
Mathguy64
AG
Niven/Barnes - Dream Park. With the AR/VR explosion coming this would be timely.

Niven/Pournelle/Barnes - The Legacy of Heorot.
israeliag
AG
OCEN99 said:

Cixin Liu's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy

Came here to post this.

+1 for Forever War

As for fantasy: Dragonlance series
superunknown
AG
Julian May's Many Colored Land series.
bangobango
AG
Wheel of time will always have a special place in my heart and I think it could be an awesome tv series.

Second stormlight and some of the other mentions. Abercrombie first law trilogy.
Red rising was made for film adaptation. Pretty sure that is already in the works, actually.
Name of the Wind is in works and I am excited about that.
Malzahn book of the fallen. Will never happen, but would be really cool to see.
MaroonStain
AG
bangobango said:

Wheel of time will always have a special place in my heart and I think it could be an awesome tv series.

Second stormlight and some of the other mentions. Abercrombie first law trilogy.
Red rising was made for film adaptation. Pretty sure that is already in the works, actually.
Name of the Wind is in works and I am excited about that.
Malzahn book of the fallen. Will never happen, but would be really cool to see.

I think WoT on screen would be butchered much like Shannara and Wizard's 1st Rule were. Too difficult to show the depth of all powers IMO.
maverick2076
Name of the Wind is going to be a prequel show.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Cygnus X-1 ( both books) , and 2112 by Rush.
swimmerbabe11
Xanth novels

I just don't know how you could.
MGS
I'd love to see a Monster Hunter International series. (Larry Correia)
Madmarttigan
AG
MW03 said:

The Gentlemen *******s series by Scott Lynch would probably be pretty good.

The Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown would probably make a good movie if they can avoid making it to YA.

The Dresden Files are freaking primed for a Netflix project if funded appropriately. Same with Monster Hunter.

Sanderson's Stormlight series would be impossible to translate, but I'd love to see them try. Same with the original Mistborn books.

Can somebody give this guy a medal and send him to Hollywood?

Would also add Sanderson's reckoner series as a movie trilogy.
rynning
AG
I would have said Shannara, but I would have been wrong.
Quad Dog
AG
I always thought Mistborn would be a great series of 3rd person action video games.
mazag08
AG
I would love to see a well done Starcraft movie universe. Not campy and over CGI'd like Warcraft.

The original game had some great cut scenes.
GoneGirl
AG
rhoswen said:

Same thing I've said for years, the Dragonriders of Pern
This and The Stainless Steal Rat top my list.
GoneGirl
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Xanth novels

I just don't know how you could.
I got my kiddo start on those last Christmas.

He'd already devoured the Belgariad.
israeliag
AG
I'm a bit surprised no one has tackled a Drizzt Do'Urden film. Seems like it could be a focused enough story to come in under a 50mil budget, but also keeping the door open for sequels and a larger shared universe.
Dr. Horrible
mazag08 said:

I would love to see a well done Starcraft movie universe. Not campy and over CGI'd like Warcraft.

The original game had some great cut scenes.
Wasnt that Starship Troopers?
DrEvazanPhD
The Dresden files.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.