*** 12 STRONG *** (Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon)

4,086 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Debt
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Feels like Bruckheimer attempting to reclaim that Black Hawk Down magic. And for multiple reasons, least of which is the title, this also feels like a movie right up TexAgs' alley. Frankly, I've long become fatigued with post-9/11, Middle East war movies, but something about this one seems to be a slight cut above the rest.

For what it's worth, my buddy was on set for most of the shoot and had a lot of great things to say about it. And he's usually pretty upfront with me on stuff he's worked on that isn't quite up to par. He's basically Bruckheimer's right-hand man, and one of his "jobs" this go around was to organize the post shoot day cast & crew gatherings at the local Chili's in Alamogordo, New Mexico. Said he spent many a nights drinking with Thor in a small New Mexico town, which, hilariously, is basically a chunk of the plot of the first Thor.

12 Strong hits theaters on January 19...

jeffk
AG
Micheal Pena!

Thor!

New Mexico!

LHIOB
AG
I like seeing Rob Riggle in a war movie. Hes one of few who served.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think there would be anything more awesome than drinking a beer with Thor and Michael Pena in a Chili's in New Mexico
israeliag
AG
Does anyone bring more weight to a scene than Michael Shannon?
White Liberals=The Worst
Sex Panther said:

I don't think there would be anything more awesome than drinking a beer with Thor and Michael Pena in a Chili's in New Mexico
No kidding, that sounds awesome. And Chili's catches a lot of flak, but I love their beef fajita nachos, skillet queso, and chips n salsa. Margs aren't all that bad either.
beanbean
Wycliffe_03 said:

Sex Panther said:

No kidding, that sounds awesome. And Chili's catches a lot of flak, but I love their beef fajita nachos, skillet queso, and chips n salsa. Margs aren't all that bad either.

Chili's was really going to crap the last several years, but they have stepped up their game a little bit lately. The closest sit down restaurant from my house is a Chili's and we used to avoid that place at all costs. Went there about 3 months ago and were pleasantly surprised by the improvement in their food. Been back a couple of other times and it's held steady to that. Seems like it coincided with the demise of Applebee's. The Applebee's further on down the road sits vacant now. Anyway.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
israeliag said:

One of the reasons Man of Steel is so ****ing great.
TennAg
israeliag said:

"Weight" is a good way to put it. Not many like him around.
maverick2076
FWIW, Horse Soldiers, the book by Doug Stanton that this is based on, is an excellent read. In 2009/2010, my unit was deployed to Iraq and worked with SF and other SOF forces in the region. I read that book during the pre-mobilization training, and then got to meet some of the people featured in that book on the deployment, which was pretty awesome.
combat wombat™
AG
I will watch anything with Chris Hemsworth in it. However, this looks like it's a great movie.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Bump because I just saw a commercial for this during the Army Navy game. Looks pretty good, embellished quite a bit of course but interested in seeing it none the less.
Saw it last night with my significant other. I though it was good but not great. This might sound dumb but my biggest complaint was that there were TOO many gun fights. By the time the final battle was shown, I was exhausted. The movie seemed much longer than the 2 hour run time. I really liked all the actors in this one. There didn't seem to be a weak link. Chris Hemsworth was great in this one and the interaction between him and the Warlord, Abdul Rashid Dostum, was done perfectly. At the end of the day, It was a good flick but nothing amazing. 3 stars out of 5.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Solid not great. One of my best friends is in this group of SF and informed me about it. Can't imagine fighting on horseback like that with no training. Great story though, that all Amercians will be proud to see.
pfo
AG
We saw 12 Strong Friday. Fantastic movie of a fantastic mission. The bravery of those 12 men was incredible as was the way they adapted to such difficult circumstances. Our American military is so capable and has real warriors serving our country.

Two big thumbs up from my wife and I.

Philip J Fry
AG
Great movie. Suspect it's low rating on rotten tomatoes has more to do with the critics hatred of Bush than anything else. Certainly doesn't deserve a 51% rating.
Schrute
I read Horse Soldiers when it came out a few years ago. Excellent book! Saw the movie this weekend and overall I thought they did a really good job with it. As usual, there so much more in the book and it's hard to cram all of it into a 2 hour movie. I'd give it a solid 4 out 5 stars. Acting was incredible, especially the guy that played Gen Dostum.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Thought it was really good aside from the last battle
Murder Hornet
AG
Just caught it this weekend. Not as good as Zero Dark Thirty or 13 Hours. I think what I liked best is there was no injection of the politics regarding Afghanistan as the "good" war and Iraq as the "bad" war. This was straight up good vs. evil, we have to get to this city and get a win for the good guys.

Sometimes that gets lost as this seemingly endless war on terror hits nearly 20 years. But there was a scene relatively early on that highlights what and why we are fighting
FTACO97
AG
Saw it last night. Loved it! Chris Hemsworth and Michael Shannon delivered great performances. The Afghanistan warlord actor was great as well. Stories like this remind me how amazing our special forces guys are. The fact that these guys survived that is just amazing to me. I really liked how they also put a spotlight on the fact that there are those in Afghanistan who are not part of Al Qaeda or ISIS or Taliban and are fighting those forces just like we are.

The RT critic score for this is laughable. The going complaint when I read through a couple of them seemed to be that the characters had no depth. Not sure the critics "get" this kind of movie and story. Not to mention that I thought they did a fine job giving backstory and depth to the main characters.
Saxsoon
AG
Love that this was filmed outside Alamogordo. Spent a lot of time there growing up since I lived in El Paso and my uncle was there. Also yeah I can't think of tsomething more awesome that hanging out with Thor and Pena at a chili's in New Mexico
FTACO97
AG
Saxsoon said:

Love that this was filmed outside Alamogordo. Spent a lot of time there growing up since I lived in El Paso and my uncle was there. Also yeah I can't think of tsomething more awesome that hanging out with Thor and Pena at a chili's in New Mexico
Was wondering where they filmed it. Very cool!
The Anchor
AG
My wife and I caught this at IMAX yesterday. It was a good movie, but it didn't live up to my expectations for it. I expected too much from it. It was a good movie, though. Great story.
investorAg83
AG
The Anchor said:

My wife and I caught this at IMAX yesterday. It was a good movie, but it didn't live up to my expectations for it. I expected too much from it. It was a good movie, though. Great story.

Just caught it yesterday and completely agree. There were a few exchanges in the script that had me rolling my eyes but as another poster pointed out, the back and forth between Hemsworth and the general was really well done. Acting as a whole was pretty good but there were a few actors I thought were awful.
The Debt
TennAg said:

israeliag said:

"Weight" is a good way to put it. Not many like him around.

A strong jaw brings weight to a scene. With so much of Hollywood using pretty boys like Pitt, Pine, etc, masculine facial features become a unique commodity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.