Annihilation - 2018

11,024 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rhutton125
MrPlow2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From the writer and director of Ex Machina
Sex Panther
AG
Looks real good, big fan of Alex Garland
TCTTS
AG
Sign me up.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Looks good.
DB Coach
AG
I'm very intrigued by this one, and I've never heard of it before (book).
Max Power
AG
New trailer, looks damn good.

MrPlow2010
Sex Panther
AG
Looks like that movie from the 90's Evolution... only not god awful.

Guesing the plot is Aliens are terraforming Earth into their home world. Seems kind of obvious, so maybe there's a twist
wangus12
AG
Evolution is a classic
MaroonStain
AG
I will watch it but I feel like Amy Adams JUST did a film like this............
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
thought this was a thread about what will happen to the football team in the SEC next year.
jeffk
AG
Looks interesting.

Did they decide to send out an entire team of women because the first team of all men got ate/went crazy/disappeared and they thought "Hey! It's not fair that women miss out on all that fun!"
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Guesing the plot is
I read the book, and don't think I could guess at the plot. Weird book.
GCRanger
AG
I'm about 20 pages into the book and it is certainly different than most, but enjoying it so far.
Boo Weekley
Let me guess, conservatives have wreaked havoc on the earth long enough and mother nature gets pissed and decides to seek her revenge? Or aliens decide to come in and take over and punish us for the same reason? The first dog whistle that this is a lib flick is that they send a small team of women with guns into this thing...lol not sure I can get over a plot hole like that...far less realistic than the actual plot.
gazelle01
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Guesing the plot is
I actually couldn't stand the book. I thought I would love it, bought the whole trilogy, read the first one, was generally bored with it, and got rid of all three books.

Trailer does look interesting, but I'm reluctant about it.
schmendeler
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Let me guess, conservatives have wreaked havoc on the earth long enough and mother nature gets pissed and decides to seek her revenge? Or aliens decide to come in and take over and punish us for the same reason? The first dog whistle that this is a lib flick is that they send a small team of women with guns into this thing...lol not sure I can get over a plot hole like that...far less realistic than the actual plot.

Stop
Thomas Ford 91
AG
In the book, there is a reason the group is all women. It has nothing to do with politics.

Terrible books. Quit halfway through book 2. No desire to see this movie.
SeattleAgJr
I am up for anything Alex G does, but I read the Wikipedia summary of all three books in the series, and ugh, lots of pretentious crap in there.

I will still see it, but my enthusiasm is severely tampered.
TCTTS
AG
For what's its worth the buzz on this one isn't good. Was really hoping for another Alex Garland homerun, but this is apparently not it...
Sex Panther
AG
3 days from this movie coming out and there is almost no buzz whatsoever and no reviews yet. Bummer, but this is looking like a gigantic dud. Was really hoping to see Alex Garland take another big step but unfortunately this seems like a setback.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TexasAggies06
AG
Only 18 reviews in so far but sitting at 89% on RT
MrPlow2010
AG
People are saying it's the best sci-fi movie in years on Twitter. I doubt that but I'm just glad it's getting good reviews.
Liquid Wrench
Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow night and render my judgement.
Sex Panther
AG
Guess I spoke too soon. Glad its looking promising after all.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
fightinags2013
AG
Shocked the reviews are so positive thus far. IMO the trailer looked pretty terrible & bland.
Loved Ex Machina, so I'll give this one a shot.
Flashdiaz
AG
"Along with comparisons to Andrei Tarkovsky and Stanely Kubrick's works, the film has been praised for its visuals and for surprisingly not spoiling the novels the work existing quite separately to the books it is based on"

could be good if the books are no good.

also, reports that this movie will be available on Netflix next month overseas.
"Netflix's UK division has confirmed that Alex Garland's sci-fi film "Annihilation," set to open in U.S. cinemas this week, will hit the Netflix streaming service in the UK on March 12th reports The Independent."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/annihilation-gets-raves-netflix-date/
AGinHI
AG
Anyone see this yet?

Waiting to see what y'all say.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Saxsoon
AG
Well just got out of the film. That was a colossal mind**** and at the same time not as much as I was hoping for. You absolutely should see this film for the visuals alone and there is some straight up Lovecraftian/Geiger body horror going on throughout.
BoneBoy
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Guesing the plot is
Equally weird movie. I saw it last night. Pretty visually stunning and unique at times. I'm still digesting the ending. Part of me is still not too sure what to think about it. Actually I think I like the director's previous movie Ex Machina better.
Saxsoon
AG
I did like ex machina better but it also wasn't nearly as abstract
TXAG14
What a bizarre movie. Pretty much had everyone in the theater saying WTF after it was over. Agree on the visuals. They were top notch.
AGinHI
AG
Is it even worth renting?

Sounds like a disappointment compared to what I was expecting from the trailer.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Saxsoon
AG
AGinHI said:

Is it even worth renting?

Sounds like a disappointment compared to what I was expecting from the trailer.
I would personally see it for the visual alone. And the story is something unique even if it doesn't always land
MrPlow2010
AG
Early on I was excited for this one but I think I'll wait a few weeks until it's on Netflix.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.