***** STAR TREK DISCOVERY *****

8,836 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by israeliag
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The premier tonight has been outstanding! The graphics and special effects have been amazing and love how they came out with a bang!
SeattleAgJr
Visuals incredible!!!!
Audio awesome!!!!
Acting - GOOD!

Story - completely ******ed.
Camera angles - brought to you by a drunk idiot
Klingons look stupid and talk even stupider.

Recommendation: Wait til the season is over, Pay just $6 at that time for CBS all access, binge watch. Forget and move on.
Aggie_3
SeattleAgJr said:

Visuals incredible!!!!
Audio awesome!!!!
Acting - GOOD!

Recommendation: Wait til the season is over, Pay just $6 at that time for CBS all access, binge watch. Forget and move on.

I thought story is awesome as it's telling the story of the reunification of the Klingons and the resulting war with the federation
Aggie_3
By chance did you watch episode 2 on cbs all access yet?
SeattleAgJr
Aggie_3 said:

By chance did you watch episode 2 on cbs all access yet?
just finishing it up right now. had to take a break at the "dream sequence" from rolling my eyes.
Klingons look dumb, and I cannot stand their talking.

TNG had cheesy Klingon talking. This is just clumsy and distracting.

But I will say again I LOVE the production values on this.
Aggie_3
My only complaint is the Klingons don't look like Klingons at all
SeattleAgJr
Aggie_3 said:

My only complaint is the Klingons don't look like Klingons at all
"California raisins"
BenFiasco14
AG
Ehhh, it was okay. Not good enough to justify me paying for CBS' ****ty app though.

This will be the shows downfall for sure
The Debt
SeattleAgJr said:

Visuals incredible!!!!
Audio awesome!!!!
Acting - GOOD!

Klingons look stupid and talk even stupider.

Unless enough people don't subscribe and they kill the show by episode 7.
Rudyjax
AG
Star Trek bothers me.

This is supposed to take place before the TOS. But the technology they have is better than any other Staf Trek.

The Klingons looked differently than they ever have been.

I would watch more if on CBS or in syndiacation. But no. I'm not buying CBS all access.
BlitzBrother
Yes production value good , but disappointed , trying hard to watch , but not sure for how long - They tried so hard to reinvent that they lost the connection to prior history and I suspect ultimately a big core prior audience that was looking forward to watching .
SeattleAgJr
yeah. watch it before you check out /r/startrek....

they beat the Football forum for the number of upset threads.
The Debt
I don't think that's true. I believe it is set between TOS and TNG.
SeattleAgJr
The Debt said:

I don't think that's true. I believe it is set between TOS and TNG.
The series is set roughly a decade before the events of the original Star Trek series and in that original timeline
TCTTS
AG
It's pre TOS. That's been officially confirmed.
DB Coach
AG
I don't get why people are upset about the timeline and how the series looks. They aren't going to put them in uniforms and on ships that are copies of TOS. You can't expect things to look THAT bad in 2017.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I watched it and enjoyed the show. I would like to watch the rest of the series but I am not spending one more dime on TV. It needs to be put on one of the 100+ channels that I get or I will have to wait for it at some date in the future. The ship sure doesn't look like it is pre TOS. But I am not a purest so it is OK if the stories are enjoyable.
The Debt
I stand corrected.
TCTTS
AG
Halfway through the pilot and unless the next half hour is amazing, I doubt I'll be coming back. Effects are way better than I expected, and it looks great, but I have zero tolerance for characters continually telling each other stuff they would otherwise already know, for the sole purpose of informing the audience. Nearly every scene has been just that, and the few that weren't featured some pretty bad dialogue as well.

Every two or three years a network drama will pique me interest, I'll give it half an hour or so, and then be immediately reminded why I don't watch network dramas anymore. They're so vanilla, so on the nose, and just all-around badly written.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Halfway through the pilot and unless the next half hour is amazing, I doubt I'll be coming back. Effects are way better than I expected, and it looks great, but I have zero tolerance for characters continually telling each other stuff they would otherwise already know, for the sole purpose of informing the audience. Nearly every scene has been just that, and the few that weren't featured some pretty bad dialogue as well.

Every two or three years a network drama will pique me interest, I'll give it half an hour or so, and then be immediately reminded why I don't watch network dramas anymore. They're so vanilla, so on the nose, and just all-around badly written.
that is star trek since DS9 went off the air.

I love that Jason issacs is the captain going forward, and I love that Doug Jones actually looks like an alien.

I just despise the walking dead chick. hated her character on TWD, and I hate they are making her some bad ass mofo.

ugh.
MGS
Well, I Tivo'ed the show and missed the last 20 mins of the episode because of the football delay. Great job CBS.

Also, how the Klingon ship have a cloak when the Romulans didn't give it to them until the time of the original series?
The Original AG 76
AG
OK FIRST..yes I'm an oooooolllddddd guy so pardon my ignorance BUT...

Am I correct to believe that none of the episodes other than the first one will be on regular TV ? Is CBS only putting it on some internet thing ?
Why the F do we spend a gazzilion dollars of mega-screen super stereo ultra vision TV'S in glorious TV rooms and then have them put content on the internet.
So does this mean that you can only watch the thing on some computer or via some video game box thing ?
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Am I correct to believe that none of the episodes other than the first one will be on regular TV ? Is CBS only putting it on some internet thing ?
Why the F do we spend a gazzilion dollars of mega-screen super stereo ultra vision TV'S in glorious TV rooms and then have them put content on the internet.
So does this mean that you can only watch the thing on some computer or via some video game box thing ?
That is correct. The rest of the episodes will be on CBS All Access from the second episode on, CBS' streaming service, released weekly. DSC (Discovery) was originally supposed to headline it, but was delayed twice I think.

I'm not subscribing to it. Last night was decent, the logic stuff with Sarek was forced IMO, and while it was entertaining it wasn't good enough to make me shell out $7-10 a month for a new service. I signed up for MGM's service streaming ALL of the Stargate franchise for $20 to May of next year, and that's just a straight up better deal with 10 seasons of SG-1, 5 seasons of SGA, two seasons of SGU, and three movies. And I also know that I'll enjoy that, where as DSC looks like its going to be good, but there's a chance it will also **** the bed.

I'm actually rooting for CBS All Access to not work out, so that CBS will go back to Netflix to put their shows up there.
malenurse
AG
So, between the two, I like The Orville better that STD (someone clearly didn't think this through considering how fans love to use acronyms when describing their shows).

But I barely liked The Orville enough to continue watching. However, it's on broadcast TV so I will continue to give it a chance. Won't pay $$ to watch STD.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I believe the short hand for this show is supposed to be DSC, not STD.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Unthought Known said:

Star Trek bothers me.

This is supposed to take place before the TOS. But the technology they have is better than any other Staf Trek.

The Klingons looked differently than they ever have been.

I would watch more if on CBS or in syndiacation. But no. I'm not buying CBS all access.
There's apparently a few reasons for this, besides artistic license, and at the heart of it is that ownership of the franchise is still fragmented between Paramount and CBS. I can't even keep it all straight.

If someone told me that this was set in the Abrams-verse of Trek I'd believe it. Though last I heard it was supposed to be in the prime timeline, or in other words all series and movies prior to the 2009 Abrams Star Trek movie.
The Original AG 76
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

That is correct. The rest of the episodes will be on CBS All Access from the second episode on, CBS' streaming service, released weekly. DSC (Discovery) was originally supposed to headline it, but was delayed twice I think.

I'm not subscribing to it. Last night was decent, the logic stuff with Sarek was forced IMO, and while it was entertaining it wasn't good enough to make me shell out $7-10 a month for a new service. I signed up for MGM's service streaming ALL of the Stargate franchise for $20 to May of next year, and that's just a straight up better deal with 10 seasons of SG-1, 5 seasons of SGA, two seasons of SGU, and three movies. And I also know that I'll enjoy that, where as DSC looks like its going to be good, but there's a chance it will also **** the bed.

I'm actually rooting for CBS All Access to not work out, so that CBS will go back to Netflix to put their shows up there.
So basically CBS has virtually written off the folks who are old enough to have watched the Original Star Trek as kids ..first run! I already pay enough for Uverse and will not watch TV on a computer , its just not something we do. I know that there are all sorts of devices that you can connect to the TV to get this stuff BUT we don't EVER play ANY form of video games or have this stuff and sure as hell have no plans to buy some box in order to watch a TV show.
Oh well.......now back to yelling at a cloud !!!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, if you have a computer or smart phone I think you can stream through that, BUT I do understand where you are coming from. I just don't need another streaming service for a singular show, for something that may end up sucking ass. I have Netflix that can cover my bases on a lot of things.

I also don't have a DVR box, and rarely watching things live anymore. So Netflix works better for me.
G Martin 87
AG
MGS said:

Well, I Tivo'ed the show and missed the last 20 mins of the episode because of the football delay. Great job CBS.

Also, how the Klingon ship have a cloak when the Romulans didn't give it to them until the time of the original series?
That's enough right there for me to not bother. The cloaking device was a complete surprise to the Federation when the Romulans used it to attack Federation outposts. It's well covered in one of the best TOS episodes, "Balance of Terror". If they're going to rewrite TOS canon right out of the block, forget it.
The Original AG 76
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Well, if you have a computer or smart phone I think you can stream through that, BUT I do understand where you are coming from. I just don't need another streaming service for a singular show, for something that may end up sucking ass. I have Netflix that can cover my bases on a lot of things.

I also don't have a DVR box, and rarely watching things live anymore. So Netflix works better for me.

I can even imagine watching anything other than a cat video on a phone or my laptop. Remember my generation went from tiny 12" B&W grainy pitiful snowy screens with a single speaker to 60" mega contrast giga stereo and it just ain't in the cards to go back to some 6" or 12" screen!!!
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

I can even imagine watching anything other than a cat video on a phone or my laptop. Remember my generation went from tiny 12" B&W grainy pitiful snowy screens with a single speaker to 60" mega contrast giga stereo and it just ain't in the cards to go back to some 6" or 12" screen!!!

I understand that. Thing to remember though is that computers can utilize that 60" TV screen. My computer has been hooked up to my wall mount TV, and I'll just drag the window over to it, and full screen it in HD. I'm not setup at all for 4k, but there are guys (probably some on this board) that are setup for 4k from their computer to their TV.
SeattleAgJr
jabberwalkie09 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Cry me a torrent.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well played sir... Well played.

I too have found other means.
The Debt
jabberwalkie09 said:

I believe the short hand for this show is supposed to be DSC, not STD.

I have seen DIS. Because it is based off a spaceship/spacestation

in the star trek fandom universe, you don't abbreviate the "S" &"T"

Kirks series is TOS, (star trek) The Original Series
Picard series is TNG, (star trek) The Next Generation
Sisko DS9, (star trek) Deep Space Nine - a space station
Janeway VOY, (star trek) Voyager - a space ship
Bakula ENT, (star trek) Enterprise - a space ship
And now DIS, (star trek) Discovery- a space ship
Specialized
AG
I thought the first two episodes were pretty good. Second better than the first.

Really hoping that All Access doesn't work out and CBS ends up moving this to their broadcast network.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.