Uverse versus Direct TV

1,775 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by scoodogg
RDV-1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi all,

I was talking to AT&T about my cell phone service, and they mentioned that if I switch from uverse to direct TV that I could save ~$100 per month & that they would send me a free iPad.

That seems like a heck of a deal. Which is why I'm loathe to take it.

Do any of you know what the catch is here? Does Direct TV stink? Speeds slow? Resolution bad? Can you use the same wires?

I'm just wondering why they are pushing Direct TV so hard, particularly at the expense of their own product (Uverse).
TXAG 05
AG
They make more money off of Direct TV, and are slowly phasing out Uverse
MW03
AG
I took a similar deal to move and I have regretted it ever since.
tx1c
AG
I wasn't offered an ipad or anything like that, just looking to bring the monthly charges down to tolerable levels.
They still haven't fixed the bill. I've called about and they won't complete the call-they keep disconnecting the line, or hanging up on me.
MASAXET
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

This is correct. AT&T is phasing out uverse in favor of direct tv because of infrastructure cost considerations. I love my uverse, but will soon be making the switch as well.
WES2006AG
AG
DirectTV is fine as long as you don't mind your TV losing signal every time it rains.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I only lose it in the worst storms. I've been pretty happy with it all these years.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Yep....they actually want to get out of the hard wired type service.

they can be bipolar like that...since they just invested a couple of years ago in laying high speed fiber to the curb in many places for super fast Uverse triple play (tv, internet, phone) service.

Now they want everyone on DTV.

I ain't changing. I'll never go back to satellite. I'll wait for wireless high speed to the home which is close than you think. Google is already testing it in select areas.
petey88

DTV repair service sucks, I fired them summer of '16 because of no show, then they said it take 8 more days to reschedule. I asked for an adjustment on the bill, which they replied they would not do until the service techs were on site. I told them right then to turn it off. That, and summer of '15, they would no show after I had taken off work, then call the next day to say they were on the way.

They went really down hill after the AT&T buy out, I had them for eight years this time. Before AT&T, they were excellent IMO.

At one time, I tried to get U Verse, but it was the same BS about no show for installation.

AT&T sucks, but their response about tech service was it's the market I live in. They DGAS, and they lie.

WestAustinAg
AG
MASAXET said:

Cstrickland05 said:

This is correct. AT&T is phasing out uverse in favor of direct tv because of infrastructure cost considerations. I love my uverse, but will soon be making the switch as well.
I just made the switch which did save money. I was surprised that they were so forcefully moving me off Uverse TV (via the increase in pricing since 3 years ago when I signed the deal). I had a gigabyte deal (100% fiber for tv and internet). I thought why would they do that (re set up again and install all new devices and have a tech spend 6 hours at my house installing the satellite etc.) vs just keep me happy and make no changes?

Well I talked to a longtime accounts retainment tech and they said that Uverse has such a small audience compared to DTV (1 mil vs 30 mil install base) that DTV has used that size to negotiate much better deals with the networks.

I figure it might be a short term deal...once AT&T can negotiate better rates for the Uverse side of their operations they might eventually want to grow again in the Uverse fiber space (relying on fiber when subdivisions build it in).

WestAustinAg
AG
petey88 said:

DTV repair service sucks, I fired them summer of '16 because of no show, then they said it take 8 more days to reschedule. I asked for an adjustment on the bill, which they replied they would not do until the service techs were on site. I told them right then to turn it off. That, and summer of '15, they would no show after I had taken off work, then call the next day to say they were on the way.

They went really down hill after the AT&T buy out, I had them for eight years this time. Before AT&T, they were excellent IMO.

At one time, I tried to get U Verse, but it was the same BS about no show for installation.

AT&T sucks, but their response about tech service was it's the market I live in. They DGAS, and they lie.

My DTV experience 2 weeks ago was 10x the DTV service i had from 5 years ago...chiefly because DTV used to subcontract out their installations. I saw awful service and subs that tried to get addl unnecessary work done to finish installation (drill holes for a house with direct wiring into the Q box). AT&T uses mostly their own techs (after having trained them all). They only rely on the subcontractors who had contracts still in place...which is diminishing quickly.
WestAustinAg
AG
WES2006AG said:

DirectTV is fine as long as you don't mind your TV losing signal every time it rains.
Seriously if this is happening you need to re-tune your satellite. It has probably moved in one of the rain/wind storms. If it is tuned correctly only the most ridiculous rain storms will knock it out.
MW03
AG
I just wish they had a brick and mortar store where I could go in and chew someone out over the inconsistent messaging I get whenever I have a problem. It's gotten to the point now that I tell them up front that I'm recording the call for quality assurance, then I literally record the call for quality assurance. Too many times "Kevin" has told me something that "Amanda" said was not possible and vice versa.
WestAustinAg
AG
That's true for tech installations. Every time I get something installed he makes fun of the way the last guy did. Doesn't matter if it is same company or another company...the last guy is always an idiot.

Btw - same is true of anyone working on my PC at work...
aggielax48
AG
Check the cost when the promotional rate runs out but you are still under contract.
scoodogg
AG
I just switched back to DirecTV because they had deal I couldn't turn down.

The whole rain thing is overblown. I was sitting in my house, 24 miles from the eye of Harvey when it was still Cat 1, watching DirecTV. No issues...

My biggest complaints with DirecTV have to do with their dated interface. Dish's is so much better. DirecTV's is the same as I remember from 10 years ago when I had it.
rhutton125
AG
I got two "$1" tablets from AT&T recently that of course had $45 activation fees. Even when I asked multiple times about additional fees or payments.
Farmer1906
AG
Had directv for years. I was looking to save some money directv wouldn't offer any discounts so I switched to Uverse. I had way too many issues (outages & equipment breaking constantly) and after a few months was able to switch back at no cost and got their new customer deals which included NFL Sunday Ticket & Redzone fo free.
scoodogg
AG
I got a $200 gift card for signing up. Do that instead of some tablets that require service plans.
petey88
WestAustinAg said:

petey88 said:

My DTV experience 2 weeks ago was 10x the DTV service i had from 5 years ago...chiefly because DTV used to subcontract out their installations. I saw awful service and subs that tried to get addl unnecessary work done to finish installation (drill holes for a house with direct wiring into the Q box). AT&T uses mostly their own techs (after having trained them all). They only rely on the subcontractors who had contracts still in place...which is diminishing quickly.
That's good for you, yet I got tired of AT&T techs not showing up, and when the tech called the next day to say they were on the way after I had taken off the day before. As I said, I got that same treatment with an AT&T Uverse install I had ordered, and then canceled after 3 attempts.

It goes beyond DTV when talking about crappy AT&T. A few years ago when I had a landline and internet, it sucked, going out about once a month. I would schedule a tech, they wouldn't show up. I fired AT&T over all that as well after a few no shows.

My complaint was entirely over lousy AT&T service and their techs no shows. Finally, AT&T has quit bothering maybe a month ago with "come back offers" of 30% of what I was paying before I fired them. When I happened to answer my cell, the AT&T Rep would go into a spill about seeing I was dissatisfied over price, to which I would correct them with it was the crappy service. It seemed they were always lying, or covering up even when they were trying to get me back as a customer.

I'm done with them forever,...BTW a life long friend of mine retired from AT&T after 30 years, he just laughed when I told him the BS. He gets lifetime free everything from AT&T.

Redstone
AG
We have Grande (Internet), Netflix/Prime/antenna (TV), and Verizon (cellphone - 1 iphone6 and 1 Samsung Galaxy).
Bregxit
AG
MASAXET said:

Cstrickland05 said:

It isn't in favor of DTV. It is in favor of DTV Now. AT&T plans to phase out regular DTV once they get U-Verse decommissioned.
RDV-1992
Thanks for all the responses!
scoodogg
AG
If you call them to sign up, you might record the call. I just found out today that their salesman offered me a deal that wasn't available to me. Now, I'm fighting them to get my agreed upon rate.
bac
AG
scoodogg said:

My biggest complaints with DirecTV have to do with their dated interface. Dish's is so much better. DirecTV's is the same as I remember from 10 years ago when I had it.
Whuhhhhh???!? I think the exact opposite. My MIL has Dish and I can't stand that stupid 80s menu system when I'm there. I've been really happy w/ DTV's.
scoodogg
AG
The new software on the Hopper 3?

Dish has autohop that skips commercials (on some channels), 4 screen split mode, folders for splitting up your recordings, built in netflix app, built in youtube app, on demand that doesn't prevent you from fast forwarding (WTF is that?), voice command remote, records up to 16 channels, primetime anytime was nice, a recycle bin for restoring deleted items, and holy carp I sound like a salesman.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.