mother!

7,043 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nashvilleaggie11
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tanya 93 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

..and when you write a script and actually call your characters "mother", "him", "man and "woman", then congratulations...you have written pretentious garbage.

Once is not pretentious
speaking of pretentious...
SeattleAgJr
Tanya 93
SeattleAgJr said:

Tanya 93 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

..and when you write a script and actually call your characters "mother", "him", "man and "woman", then congratulations...you have written pretentious garbage.

Once is not pretentious
speaking of pretentious...

No one calls me woman or girl or gal.

Bunbury
AG
Just saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It wasn't until the flood part that I got the biblical parallels, but that definitely made it more enjoyable to follow it going forward (as in, it's not as surprising when the baby dies).

I can definitely understand why it's not for everyone, but a pretty awesome theatrical experience, and definitely unlike most anything else seen before. And props to the director for pulling off an allegory as a wide-release, feature-length movie.

I think stylizing the early parts as a potential horror movie make it especially effective. God has created this beautiful place, and she watches it get destroyed by his followers. You might not agree with the environmental or social perspective, but he does a pretty cool job pulling this off.

Also, I read the Aronofsky's main message was environmental first, and that the biblical parallel's were just there to function as a solid story structure, because that's the predominant view of the history of mankind by westerners.

ro828
It's going to lose an absolute fortune for those poor people who invested in it, unless for some reason it develops a following overseas. Out of curiosity, after reading all the negative reviews I started checking the online seating charts for the College Station Cinemark for the next show. Some showings had one ticket sold a few minutes before showtime. Others had a whopping two people buy tickets.
LHIOB
AG
Just like the last season of Mad Men
Sex Panther
AG
Man... I really liked it. Not for everyone, but it was definitely unique.

and this explanation on Reddit it both fantastic and funny as hell.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/70zsjl/mother_for_dummies_xpost_from_rmovies/

AggieOO
we saw this piece of crap last night.

i've never been more bored in a movie theater. seriously. i can't even begin to describe how much this movie sucked ass.
Boo Weekley
bigcat22 said:

Heard it's basically a middle finger to Christianity and how Man is destroying the environment
Super shocking.
Boo Weekley
Sounds like the clear theme of the movie is that Christians are barbaric monsters who are destroying the earth? LOL I can see why Hollywood elitist types are eating this sh** up. Guessing they'll do one about Muhammad killing countless people and forcing a 6 year old girl into marriage and preaching that women should be treated like livestock. Nah, probably not.

Heard about a modern art exhibit where one of the pieces was just this box on the ground. The types of people going nuts over this movie and how "deep" it is remind me of the people who would stare at and analyze a box on the ground for 30 minutes. Or a crucifix in a jar of p*ss. SO EDGY MONNNN.

I do remember initially seeing a trailer for this movie thinking it was going to be some crazy scary horror movie. I love to imagine young urban youths buying tix for this thinking the same thing, only to find out it's some crazy shocking over-the-top white people sh**.
nashvilleaggie11
WTF did I just watch? I was enjoying the first half and then it just took a crazy turn. As a new mother (my 11 week was with the great grandma) I was especially disturbed. AND THERE WERE SMALL CHILDREN AT THE SHOWING I WAS AT!!!! I guess reading through that Reddit blog helps me wrap my head around it a little more but still...wtf...
Madman
AG
Nobody has brought up the camera work. I got real sick of the extremely tight shots of the actress and the spiral pans around it.
nashvilleaggie11
Yes, mentioned that to my husband during the movie.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.