****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,900,826 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
smokeythebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey, leave Rocket out of this
StringerBell
AG
bobinator
AG
bonfarr said:

I'm going to laugh hysterically at all the people that will be crying after the final episode because there was too much of a happy ending.
If anything, the treatment of the characters in this episode makes me more inclined to think we're not going to get a happy ending.

They made it seem like a bunch of them were going to die, so they didn't, and now it seems like they're probably mostly safe...
Icecream_Ag
S
bonfarr said:

I'm going to laugh hysterically at all the people that will be crying after the final episode because there was too much of a happy ending.
Insert ramsay Bolton you haven't been paying attention meme here
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Why make her a 10 year old girl?
For the same reason that a little boy was "Lord Umber." Westeros has undergone a massive, continental civil war that cost a lot of lives. And war has costs at home too, not just on the battlefield. We first saw glimpses of that dynamic when Bran was left in charge of Winterfell. And there are only 3 episodes left to see if that crisis is resolved.
aTmAg
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

For the same reason that a little boy was "Lord Umber." Westeros has undergone a massive, continental civil war that cost a lot of lives. And war has costs at home too, not just on the battlefield. We first saw glimpses of that dynamic when Bran was left in charge of Winterfell. And there are only 3 episodes left to see if that crisis is resolved.
Lord Umber being in charge as a little boy was also stupid. In reality they would have had an experienced adult act as regent until they came of age. Just like Ned Stark was supposed to do with Joffrey.
Icecream_Ag
S
bobinator said:

bonfarr said:

If anything, the treatment of the characters in this episode makes me more inclined to think we're not going to get a happy ending.

They made it seem like a bunch of them were going to die, so they didn't, and now it seems like they're probably mostly safe...
as I think more about it,
Brienne survived to help Jamie confront Cersie (killed by the mountain)
Gendry, greyworm, and tormund taken out by euron who is later killed by Yara and arya
Bronn kills Jon because
Dany is thrown from drogon dodging a shot from a scorpion
Drogon and rhegal fry pretty much everything and make harrenhall look like an improvement to kings landing
Tyrion and Sana rule the north
Davos and missandie rule the south
San had 8 kids with gilly
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
bobinator said:

I disagree with you on this. He wants to be brave so he's standing with his brothers, and he's had some brave moments, but in the midst of that kind of overwhelming battle he couldn't handle it.

I actually like that because people have different reactions in those situations. Even the Hound panicked for a while.
Exactly. I think just about everyone was scared as hell when they saw the dead. And I think they've made a point to show that a characters arc isn't always linear. Theon for example back in S6 was able to finally snap out of it and rescue Sansa from Winterfell. The next season he chickens out of saving his sister from Euron and jumps overboard. Ultimately he dies in an act of bravery.
mazzag
AG
Did the music at the end remind anyone else of the Nirvana song "heart shaped box"?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol And now you're whinging about whinging .Irony abounds.

(Also, way to just miss all the points with that last sentence.)
The Debt
Unpopular opinion: Joffrey deserves a lot of thanks for saving Westeros
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

Lord Umber being in charge as a little boy was also stupid. In reality they would have had an experienced adult act as regent until they came of age. Just like Ned Stark was supposed to do with Joffrey.

Bran was the acting Lord of Winterfell at the age of like 10 before Theon betrayed him.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

In reality they would have had an experienced adult act as regent until they came of age. Just like Ned Stark was supposed to do with Joffrey.
Do you not see the flaw in that example?

Things happen in war. People die. No one has an inexhaustible supply of wise counselors and brave warriors. If you had watched any of the earlier seasons, you would have seen discussions about the casualties and losses.

If you want "reality," I'm sure you can rattle off all of the 19th Century noble houses of Europe that are still ruling their duchies, thanks to smart realistic planning.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I wonder what the Night King's re-animation of the dead range was... like, what if he awakened every zombie south of the Wall for a good ten minutes before his death?? lol
aTmAg
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

Bran was the acting Lord of Winterfell at the age of like 10 before Theon betrayed him.
That too was stupid. He had wise dudes all over the place that could have been his Regent.
Liquid Wrench
Like Rodrik Cassel? What ever happened to that dude? Or maybe Maester Luwin, he would have been good.
aTmAg
AG

Quote:

In reality they would have had an experienced adult act as regent until they came of age. Just like Ned Stark was supposed to do with Joffrey.

Things happen in war. People die. No one has an inexhaustible supply of wise counselors and brave warriors. If you had watched any of the earlier seasons, you would have seen discussions about the casualties and losses.

If you want "reality," I'm sure you can rattle off all of the 19th Century noble houses of Europe that are still ruling their duchies, thanks to smart realistic planning.
If there really is nobody left in the house who can run the place over a 10 year old, then you appoint another ruling family. But the idea that every 70 year old man died in war is either 1) bogus or 2) terrible writing.

Again, it didn't ruin the show/episode. I still gave it 4.5 stars out of 5.
spence10
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

If there really is nobody left in the house who can run the place over a 10 year old, then you appoint another ruling family. But the idea that every 70 year old man died in war is either 1) bogus or 2) terrible writing.

"It's a fantasy show, so anything can happen" - Texags
Teddy Perkins
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

aTmAg
AG

Like Rodrik Cassel? What ever happened to that dude? Or maybe Maester Luwin, he would have been good.
The point is, you never have a 10 year old in charge of actual decisions. That's what regents are for. King Henry the 6th was something like 8 days old when he became king. But he didn't actually run anything until he came of age. That's the way it supposed to work.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

"It's a fantasy show, so anything can happen" - Texags

The problem of succession is one of the most real world aspects of the show. -SocialMediaInfluencer
bonfarr
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

Appoint another ruling family? LMFAO it doesn't work that way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've got it. The new intro will open on a massive mountain of dead bodies burning in front of Winterfell. Then it goes up to the wall, the blue tiles turning white again.
aTmAg
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

Appoint another ruling family? LMFAO it doesn't work that way.
LMFAO It sure as hell doesn't get run by a 10 year old. I wouldn't let a 10 old drive my car, nevermind run a city. Again, that's what regents are for. I'm not making it up.
tk for tu juan
How can we get Edmure Tully on the throne?
smokeythebear
AG
It doesn't matter what you would do, it only matters what precedence the show sets. When Joffrey takes over the throne for himself and Bran is shown making decisions in Winterfell (with the advice of Maester Lewin) then it absolutely makes sense that young kids would be the head of their household in other houses.
Liquid Wrench
The whole thing is about "another ruling family" trying to take over another family's turf.

Tywin thought he had Winterfell all taken care of when he appointed Roose Bolton as Warden of the North until Tyrion and Sansa's son would be old enough.

Things don't always work out, and people have a funny way of disagreeing about who should be "appointed."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, they really like to fight over appointed lords and rulers, wardens, etc. Actually, they could almost make the entire show revolve around that.
aTmAg
AG
smokeythebear said:

It doesn't matter what you would do, it only matters what precedence the show sets. When Joffrey takes over the throne for himself and Bran is shown making decisions in Winterfell (with the advice of Maester Lewin) then it absolutely makes sense that young kids would be the head of their household in other houses.
The fact that any of that happens is a flaw in the writing. I don't know who. Since Ned Stark was supposed to be Joffrey's regent (and Cersie stole that), I'm inclined too blame HBO.
gigemJTH12
AG
There are no spoilers in this. Mostly all screenshots of the preview. Aside from a pic of Dany standing by the battle strategy map. I am curious about the picture of the battle map. Really curious how Euron plans to use his ships for this battle. Doesn't seem like it helps much.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/01/game-thrones-season-8-episode-4/
Teddy Perkins
AG
Pics from episode 4. In the last pic it shows Dany and friends game planning the attack on Kings Landing.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Blackwater Bay, right outside King's Landing
smokeythebear
AG
aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

The fact that any of that happens is a flaw in the writing. I don't know who. Since Ned Stark was supposed to be Joffrey's regent (and Cersie stole that), I'm inclined too blame HBO.
Except that precedence was very clearly set by the books...
gigemJTH12
AG
Yeah I reworded my question after looking closer.
aTmAg
AG
smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

Except that precedence was very clearly set by the books...
Which character(s)?
First Page Last Page
Page 218 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.