****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,899,652 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rewatched this evening. I'd be utterly shocked if this episode doesn't win an Emmy. The cinematography and direction are damn near perfect. I know that a lot of people complained they couldn't see it well, but on my (calibrated) TV it looks fine. Its definitely a dark episode but some of the shots are phenomenal.

The tension in this episode is built up in an amazing way. At times the score felt like it was paying homage to Dunkirk and the way they built tension with a percussive score. The piano was wonderful. All in all just a wonderfully put together episode.

Story wise, I love Arya and I"m glad she got to kill the Night King but I felt that last night.

People are obviously free to form their own opinions, but for me this episode was damn near perfect.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone have a better kill resume than Arya?
Without going through it, Jon has to be up there.

2 White Walkers against her 1 Night King

Pretty sure 1 NK = ~99 WW
Does it count when its a sneak attack. Its like cheating
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Fenrir said:

Outside of stranger things, rest of 2019 seems pretty bare off the top of my head. Westworld, better call Saul and GoT prequel are 2020.

just in the next couple of months:

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - the Ted Bundy biopic series on Netflix in May

Chernobyl miniseries on HBO in May

Catch-22 mid May on Hulu with Clooney

Deadwood movie on HBO in late May

Yellowstone S2 on Paramount in June

Cobra Kai S2 just dropped on Youtube Premium

Luther follow-on movie on BBC-A in June

others dropping later in the year:

Black Mirror S5 at some point in late 2019

The Crown S3 is in 2019. That was very good in S1 and S2.

chick stuff - imho cuz my wife watches these:

Handmaid's Tale S3 on Hulu in June

Big Little Lies S2 on HBO in June

rambo_99
Just watched again. Initially was a bit let down that's how it ended after 8 seasons of waiting for pizza (for any south park fans). A day to digest and watch again that was some of the best TV put on screen.

My uneducated opinion was the stare down between bran and night king. Bran slowly looks down to NK's chest as if he knew that's were the dagger was going. NK and him have some weird non-verbal communication and I think he heard what Bran was saying but didn't understand what he meant. 5 seconds later he dies right where bran looked.
rambo_99
Also is it possible that when Bran was warging the entire time he was communicating with red lady witch? She was in the right place at the right time, and he knew he needed arya to be there to kill NK.
ttaggie
AG
I'm sure I missed it being discussed here, but there is no way (imho) the NK is gone for good....

Only reason I think that way is because they never explained that circular shape we kept seeing over the course of the series????

rambo_99
Maybe not this version of the NK but the whole series is based on balance. You can't have eternal good or "light" without an offset. Some new NK will take his place and be driven back to the north for another couple thousand years.
La Bamba
AG
ttaggie said:

I'm sure I missed it being discussed here, but there is no way (imho) the NK is gone for good....

Only reason I think that way is because they never explained that circular shape we kept seeing over the course of the series????

Sadly, I think he's gone. The final boss is Cersei, that ****** Euron, and an army of mercenaries. I mean honestly, the challenge at this point is health and recovery of forces. If that happens, I just don't see how Cersei has a chance. Of course the show will overplay the importance of the big crossbow thing despite the Heroes getting past a Demon on a Zombie dragon who is an Olympic thrower of dragon darts.

This just has the feel of the Golden State Warriors getting past the Rockets in the Western Conference Finals, and getting to play the Raptors in the finals. It's like....really?
Alex Bregman
AG
redline248 said:

...it might be really hard for Peter Dinklage to run
I can run, dammit!
Southlake

A buddy sent this to me. Military synopsis of the Battle of Winterfell...

Generally, the battle tactics in GOT are :Confront your enemy head onusually in some nicely arrayed linesand hack at them until no one's left alive or someone has won. It's a tried-and-true method, with little in the way of actual operational depth. However, it's particularly ineffective against an endless army of the undead. Spoilers ahead, obviously.
As the last night's battle starts, the allied forces of the living are ready to make their final stand against the undead forces of the Night King, a paramilitary commando who leads a death cult with a penchant for destroying everything you love. In military terms, the Night King is the center of gravity for the forces of the living: If they kill him, they have a shot at surviving the horde of the undead.
For his part, the Night King has an eye on Bran Stark, the S-2 intelligence officer for House Stark, what with his abilities to look backward and forward through time. Understanding his value as a targethe's a good intelligence officerBran volunteers himself as bait to trap the Night King. The council of war agrees that this is the best option; it's the only way to lure the Night King out from behind his forces. Plus, it falls into the hallowed military tradition of throwing the intelligence officer under the proverbial bus.
So far, so good. It's at least a plan. From there, though, the allied forces are a mess.Their first step should have been to establish an engagement areaa space in which they establish obstacles to disrupt and canalize the enemy so that they can be destroyed with direct and indirect fire. Using engagement area development, they could have used the time they had to incorporate a network of complex obstacles in front of Winterfell to slow and disrupt the waves of the undead. Instead, they left the field wide open. And what little strategy they did employ breaks down before the battle even begins.
Take the Dothraki cavalry. Putting that squadron forward of the main line of infantry was doctrinally correct, but the allied commanders did not put it to proper use: screening the allied lines and gaining active intelligence on the enemy. Instead, the Dothraki are ordered forward into an attack before the enemy situation is even known. This move, sometimes known as a "Custer," predictably ends in ruin for the Dothraki cavalry, who get chewed up and spat out in an unsupported frontal attack. This destruction of the cav squadron leaves the allied forces without their reconnaissance assets.
Next we come to the issue of indirect fires. Any able field artillery officer could tell you that heavy-caliber indirect-fire weapons need to be positioned such that they're both protected and mutually supportive of surrounding units. But the allies placed their batteries of trebuchets all along the lines, between the cav squadron and the infantry units. After a single initial barrage in support of the cav attack, they abandoned those mass-casualty producing weapons entirely. Had the batteries been positioned behind the anti-personnel ditch that protected the castle, they could have continued to execute both explosive and illumination fire missions. Yielding their indirect capabilities early left the infantry to fight alone, without the help of "stone rain."
Speaking of which: The company deployed both heavy and light infantry, with their leadership in the front. This single line could merely slow the wave of enemy troops, while ensuring that allied leadership would be overwhelmed along with them. Forming their lines behind some protective obstacles would have ensured a longer defense.

Dad
AG
I loved the episode last night.

If I could make one minor change I would have had Jon get the assist on killing the NK. Another poster said maybe he could have killed a few WWs and caused a commotion which gave Arya the window to kill the NK. That would have been a better end of the battle for me than having Jon not really matter at all.

I told my wife it would be Arya to kill him once the red witch basically told her that Beric was brought back just to save her and the whole shutting blue eyes for good thing.
n_touch
Quote:

Demon on a Zombie dragon who is an Olympic thrower of dragon darts.

Great description.
Urban Ag
AG
Everyone wanted to see the NK showdown with Jon. Myself included.
But, IMO, this was pretty well written and somewhat consistent.

The NK has Greenseyer ability like Jojen did, the 3ER, and Bran. He knows who Jon is. And the NK watched Jon at Hardhome, watched him kill a WW. And yet he stayed on the sidelines. IMO, he is/was salient enough to understand that Jon wielding Valyrian steel could be his death. He did not engage Jon at Hardhome, he taunted him by raising the dead when it was safe for him to do so and made no attempt at pursuing him once Jon was on the water.

On the frozen lake beyond the wall last season, the NK stayed well out of the fray and observed. Again, making no attempt to engage Jon or the others. He was aware they had dragon glass and a Valyrian sword. His only engagement was chucking ice javelins from a safe distance.

At Winterfell, the NK harried Jon and Dany then made his way to Bran. When he realized Jon was pursuing him on foot, he made no attempt to engage. He stopped and reanimated the recently killed to put a shield between him and Jon. This drives home the message Bran put out. He's was after the 3ER. He then moved on to kill Bran. The WW didn't need to be in the battle. They were positioned as body guards for their king. Jon was taken out of the equation purposely by the NK who didn't want to face him in battle.

So in that light, having Arya go ninja on him really wasn't robbing Jon or Dany of their thunder. It was a great twist, IMO, most did not see coming. Certainly not me.
annie88
AG
ttaggie said:

Nah, pretty sure he gone.
Trident 88
AG
Urban Ag said:

So in that light, having Arya go ninja on him really wasn't robbing Jon or Dany of their thunder. It was a great twist, IMO, most did not see coming. Certainly not me.
I think there were a pretty decent number of us who recognized that if the NK was going to be killed, it would ultimately be an assassin like Arya who did it. Personally, I think many of us believed that was what she had the special weapon made for, although that part of our prediction didn't pan out.

We (or maybe only a few of us) just wanted Jon involved in that scene to some extent rather than being kept busy playing tag with Viserion. I didn't hate Jon's final scene where he finally accepted his fate and stood up defiantly to stare the dragon in the face. Like others, I just think it would have been much more entertaining if he had made it to the Godswood as he intended to begin fighting futilely against the WWs, and then have Arya swoop in for the kill. There's no reason why the writers couldn't have written it this way. In fact, it would have been more tactically sound for Jon to distract them and give Arya an opening to leap directly down from a tree branch instead of simply (and luckily) managing to dart past the WW (as indicated by the movement of the WW's hair) and leap toward the NK.
Agnzona
I still can't get past how unimportant Valarian Steel and Dragon glass where (and inconsistent) after over a year of buildup.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Agnzona said:

I still can't get past how unimportant Valarian Steel and Dragon glass where (and inconsistent) after over a year of buildup.

It's the only reason they won.
LeonardSkinner
Just to toss it out there, and SIAP, but are we putting too much importance on Arya's Faceless Ones training? I mean, this is Winterfell, her home. She, and her brothers, would know how to get from point A to point B without being seen.
NukeAg10
AG
You mean besides the fact that a valeryian steel blade is what killed the NK? I know, pretty insignificant.
chipotle
LeonardSkinner said:

Just to toss it out there, and SIAP, but are we putting too much importance on Arya's Faceless Ones training? I mean, this is Winterfell, her home. She, and her brothers, would know how to get from point A to point B without being seen.

While she was in Kings Landing she taught herself to move like a cat. At least that's what I remember in the books.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agnzona said:

gigemJTH12
AG
Seems like the consensus is that people are loving this episode way more the more the digest it and even more so the 2nd time they watch it.

Good to hear.
chipotle
gigemJTH12 said:

Seems like the consensus is that people are loving this episode way more the more the digest it and even more so the 2nd time they watch it.

Good to hear.

I've seen the opposite effect on YouTube.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-the-long-night-twitter-record-1203200292/
Cromagnum
AG
MBAR said:

Rewatched this evening. I'd be utterly shocked if this episode doesn't win an Emmy. The cinematography and direction are damn near perfect. I know that a lot of people complained they couldn't see it well, but on my (calibrated) TV it looks fine. Its definitely a dark episode but some of the shots are phenomenal.

The tension in this episode is built up in an amazing way. At times the score felt like it was paying homage to Dunkirk and the way they built tension with a percussive score. The piano was wonderful. All in all just a wonderfully put together episode.

Story wise, I love Arya and I"m glad she got to kill the Night King but I felt that last night.

People are obviously free to form their own opinions, but for me this episode was damn near perfect.

Ill wait for the HD release before final judgment but HBO HD was hot garbage. Couldn't see *****
gigemJTH12
AG
I really do not understand all the complaining about the darkness. I was watching on a regular ol Best Buy special(I don't buy state of the art TV's) and yeah it was a dark episode, but what did you expect?

Do y'all spend any time outside of the city? Did you think there's street lights in Westeros?

For all intents and purposes, what we saw is actually way brighter than what the battle actually would have been. Any brighter and it's very unrealistic.

That being said, I saw everything pretty well on an average 3 year old TV in a dark room.
gigemJTH12
AG
Relax. It's a huge complaint about the episode and the same thing as him typing out the point. Plus it's only Tuesday and I'll take all the posts on this thread I can get.

aTmAg
AG
Personally, I think that if Jon had killed the NK it would have been lame as hell. WAY too predictable. I'm glad GoT is not Rocky in that aspect.
Quinn
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I really do not understand all the complaining about the darkness. I was watching on a regular ol Best Buy special(I don't buy state of the art TV's) and yeah it was a dark episode, but what did you expect?

Do y'all spend any time outside of the city? Did you think there's street lights in Westeros?

For all intents and purposes, what we saw is actually way brighter than what the battle actually would have been. Any brighter and it's very unrealistic.

That being said, I saw everything pretty well on an average 3 year old TV in a dark room.

I expected to be able to tell what was going on during a television show. It wasn't just the darkness, but also the shaky camera work. I get that we were supposed to feel the confusion of battle, but it's an entertainment product - I need to know what's happening.
Furlock Bones
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Relax. It's a huge complaint about the episode and the same thing as him typing out the point. Plus it's only Tuesday and I'll take all the posts on this thread I can get.

considering they got their panties in a wad over a humorous rant in the humor thread and had me banned for a few hours. don't see why brian doesn't follow his own whiny rules.
Madmarttigan
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Good to hear.

Wait what?

It was fun during the episode but if you digest it is where it starts to fall apart imo.
aTmAg
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

It may have been which service you watched it on. I watched it on DirectTV, and the compression artifacts were hard to see through. It was like I was watching a low quality JPEG video.
Cromagnum
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Battle of Helms Deep begs to differ.
Furlock Bones
AG
aTmAg said:

gigemJTH12 said:

It may have been which service you watched it on. I watched it on DirectTV, and the compression artifacts were hard to see through. It was like I was watching a low quality JPEG video.
i was on uverse. it was the same. need to rewatch through HBOGO.
Cromagnum
AG
aTmAg said:

Personally, I think that if Jon had killed the NK it would have been lame as hell. WAY too predictable. I'm glad GoT is not Rocky in that aspect.

First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.