****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,929,084 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So what do I get when Howland Reed shows up?
I don't know that you were first to suggest that - it might be you or it might be me. Have to go back and look. I'll give you solid props if it was you.

I've held onto that since they bothered to say his name in the TOJ flashback..... I mean why name him and not the other 5 knights there. Cuz of a Jojen and Meera....maybe but I doubt most casual watchers even made that connection.

well it was neither of us technically... joking reference to it on p1 by
JCRiley09
M.C. Swag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know that you were first to suggest that - it might be you or it might be me. Have to go back and look. I'll give you solid props if it was you.

I've held onto that since they bothered to say his name in the TOJ flashback..... I mean why name him and not the other 5 knights there. Cuz of a Jojen and Meera....maybe but I doubt most casual watchers even made that connection.

JCRiley09
He's been brought up numerous times over the past few years. Well before this thread was even started.

Hell, I even said it prior to last season's debut here:
7/24/2017
Quote:

Howland Reed is an eye witness. We've already met his kids and seen his presence in the flashbacks. New characters are introduced all the time that play substantial roles (see: Euron or Randall Tarly). Either way, it's infinitely more plausible that he shows up to tell of Jon's birth than some contrived mcguffin buried somehwere in the Winterfell crypts.

and here:
7/26/2017
Quote:

I think Jon's parentage is eventually confirmed by Howland Reed, not LF. Bran is now south of the wall and is in a position to locate Meera's father. I think he shows up at Winterfell with hopes of telling Jon who he really is.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

being it's you we're talking about?

erect

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

JCRiley09
He's been brought up numerous times over the past few years. Well before this thread was even started.

7/24/2017
Quote:

Howland Reed is an eye witness. We've already met his kids and seen his presence in the flashbacks. New characters are introduced all the time that play substantial roles (see: Euron or Randall Tarly). Either way, it's infinitely more plausible that he shows up to tell of Jon's birth than some contrived mcguffin buried somehwere in the Winterfell crypts.

and here:
7/26/2017
Quote:

I think Jon's parentage is eventually confirmed by Howland Reed, not LF. Bran is now south of the wall and is in a position to locate Meera's father. I think he shows up at Winterfell with hopes of telling Jon who he really is.

The winner would actually be from March 7 2011
Elliot P. Campbell

in his own thread about the first full length trailer for the show it was mentioned. lol.
it even included the phrase R+L=J

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/1802178/replies/26197521
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol yes, there's your 'theory' frontrunner
Dobre casy
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

JCRiley09

7/24/2017
Quote:

and here:
7/26/2017
Quote:

Rues the existence of one-upsmanship and score tallying one page prior.

Proceeds to one-up and score tally.
Phrasing
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Are we sure Arya is running through the winterfell crypts in terror during the trailer and not kings landing basements?
Interesting - never thought of it that way. No clue though - it was just some random hallway right? Was there anything specific that would make it for sure WF?
bonfarr
AG
The cat is out of the bag already what purpose would Howland Reed serve showing up now?
M.C. Swag
AG
Dobre casy said:

M.C. Swag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

JCRiley09

7/24/2017
Quote:

and here:
7/26/2017
Quote:

Rues the existence of one-upsmanship and score tallying one page prior.

Proceeds to one-up and score tally.
lol wasn't my intent, but yea, I'll take the L here...even though we're talking about a 2+ year old take.
Urban Ag
AG
bonfarr said:

The cat is out of the bag already what purpose would Howland Reed serve showing up now?
Well when the whole High Sparrow theory didn't pan out they had to come up with something else important for him to do.

I think about the only thing Howland is up to is trying to get Meera to come out of her room after getting teen spurned by weirdo Bran.
Phrasing
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

I've given some thought to the NK faking out Winterfell and going to KL and I'm not really on board with it based on what the clues we have. If Bran is correct/truthful about the NKs intentions of destroying Bran and the memory of the world, he has no purpose in KL. Also, what would the capitol of Westeros and the Iron Throne even mean to him? It matters to the living but pretty pointless to the dead. If his plan is to destroy mankind Winterfell is the first kingdom in his path and they all mean the same to him.
This. I agree. Not that I couldn't see it happening, but I'm leaning 80/20 that the NK is there in Winterfell and ready to rumble. For the following reasons:

(1) GrayArea mentioned in one of her videos that the NK frequently shows up late to the battle - just to help clean up the mess. He doesn't put him self out there very much in a vulnerable position at first. We just saw the front line in Ep 2 and there was no reason for the NK to be there. He's chilling with his dragon in the back waiting to wreck shop.

(2) Like My Boy Blue said above, Bran and Sam have already given us the NK's purpose during the strategy meeting last episode. We've all been wondering what the hell the NK has been up to and what his whole purpose is and I think the show writers gave us that, albeit in a very quick and succinct manner. He wants an eternal night and to wipe out the 3ER so that there is no memory of mankind. I don't know the whole history of him turning on the Children of the Forest and the First Men, but sounds like he is pissed at that whole situation and didn't appreciate being driven north and now he wants revenge. Same reason he uses the Children's spiral symbols, basically just a way for him to let everyone know he hasn't forgotten and he is coming back to get his. I definitely think this could have been presented better to us, but I think we got the NK's overall purpose now. This could all just be a red herring, yes, but with 4 eps left I think the real surprises will be in the last few episodes. And while all the theories about the NK being a Stark or Bran is the NK etc are cool and interesting, I don't think the majority of show watchers really care about that part of the story. They care more about the human element and the show runners are going to cater to that. Just my opinion.

(3) We didn't even see Dany's dragons either last episode or hear about how they plan to use them. Does that mean we aren't going to see them or that they are going to chill on the sidelines? Hell no - just because we don't see something in one episode doesn't mean anything.

redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

bonfarr said:

Well when the whole High Sparrow theory didn't pan out they had to come up with something else important for him to do.

I think about the only thing Howland is up to is trying to get Meera to come out of her room after getting teen spurned by weirdo Bran.

Poor Meera
SpreadsheetAg
AG
If the Reeds are Loyal Northerners, where are Meera, the Crannogmen, and their Head of House (Howland)? Just chillin' at Greywater Watch?

I wonder if that's the Deus Ex Machina - the Crannogmen show up from the bogs with a hundred CotF throwing fire grenades:

Quote:

Some scholars have suggested that children may have survived at the Isle of Faces or in the bogs of the Neck. Some also theorize that the crannogmen of the Neck intermarried with the children.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Episode IV said:

If the Reeds are Loyal Northerners, where are Meera, the Crannogmen, and their Head of House (Howland)? Just chillin' at Greywater Watch?

I wonder if that's the Deus Ex Machina - the Crannogmen show up from the bogs with a hundred CotF throwing fire grenades:

Quote:

Some scholars have suggested that children may have survived at the Isle of Faces or in the bogs of the Neck. Some also theorize that the crannogmen of the Neck intermarried with the children.

Crannogmen while "loyal" are also notoriously reclusive swamp people. The kids seem to be branching out a bit more. but generally they tend to stay to their territory where they have an advantage of terrain and fight using unorthodox guerilla tactics.

Howland was kind of unique in that he ventured out of their area at the tourney at Harrenhal and made friends with the Stark boys - Ned, Benjen and Brandon (the older one killed by Aerys). He became a loyal companion of Ned during the rebellion. but not many crannogmen ever came to fight. they often just defended the passages to the north for the Starks.

His stabbing of Ser Arthur Dayne in the back - while it saved Ned - was dishonorable really but that's typical of crannogmen fighting.
redline248
AG
The Reeds have been eliminated from the plot by HBO, similar to all the southern houses and riverlands.

Kings Landing
Winterfell
Deepwood Motte (Glover) ???
Rest of North - X
Neck - X
Vale - X
Riverlands - X
Iron Islands - ???
Casterly Rock - still held by Dany's forces??
Dragonstone - still held by Dany's forces??
Stormlands - X
The Reach - X
Dorne - X

HBO has greatly condensed the continent
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
clinker03 said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Are we sure Arya is running through the winterfell crypts in terror during the trailer and not kings landing basements?
Interesting - never thought of it that way. No clue though - it was just some random hallway right? Was there anything specific that would make it for sure WF?

I'd have to rewatch but I don't remember seeing statues so maybe it could be just any dark hallway or basement with arches like kings landing as well.

Wild ass theory, she tries to faceless man Cersei, somehow gets outed and has an epic battle with the mountain. She's running in terror from that psychopath because he just destroyed someone with her in a gruesome way? Like ripping a spine out or whatever

redline248
AG
redline248 said:

Another question...are there windows in the Crypts? In the season trailer, Arya is running through halls with windows. I don't think it's the crypts.

Reposting since it's come up in a few other posts.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redline248 said:

redline248 said:

Another question...are there windows in the Crypts? In the season trailer, Arya is running through halls with windows. I don't think it's the crypts.

Reposting since it's come up in a few other posts.

I don't think it's the crypts seems like a big reveal to include that in the trailer if it were but who knows
Phrasing
AG
I definitely think she uses faceless man one more time. Was thinking that it could be with Littlefingers face possibly. I would hope she harvested it after cutting his throat. Probably told everyone - "yeah, I will take care of disposing of the body - no problem - you guys go have an ale or something - I got this....."
smokeythebear
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

They wont go two full episodes (last week and this week) with no Cersei action will they?
Actual semi-spoiler info:

Like, legit don't look if you don't want to be tipped off to how things may play out. It's largely vague info, but still spoiler realm.

Not actual plot information, but information about the cast and filming that I saw. There was an article talking about sexism in Hollywood and how it was sexist that Lena Heady was getting paid less than Kit Harrington for GOT Season 8. Turns out, they were getting paid the same amount per episode, but she was featured in two less episodes this season (one being Episode 2, the other is possibly episode 3?). But if she is shown in Episode 3, then you'd know she isn't shown in one of the later episodes. The article had info on the other main characters and how many episodes they featured in but I'll save the rest of y'all from further spoilage. If you want to know, go look it up yourself.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just rewatched trailer
The hallway where she is scared and running definitely has at least one window
cbr
AG
I think the answer to whats the real story and motivation of the nk is; 42

If you dont get vonnegut jokes, i think anyone looking for deep meaning here will be dissappointed, just as you cant be told 'the meaning of life'

Bottom line, the story is about people and their struggles, and pettiness, and the nk is just like a force of mother nature. Just to remind us of our humanity and what is really important.
Icecream_Ag
S
cbr said:

If you dont get vonnegut jokes, i think anyone looking for deep meaning here will be dissappointed, just as you cant be told 'the meaning of life'

Bottom line, the story is about people and their struggles, and pettiness, and the nk is just like a force of mother nature. Just to remind us of our humanity and what is really important.
So the walkers are just building a bypass through winterfell??
cbr
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

cbr said:

So the walkers are just building a bypass through winterfell??
No, just think they are out to kill everyone and their may not be much of a profound reason for it.
MaroonStain
AG
I will be disappointed if the zombie giants are not involved in this battle. Three of them were shown as they crossed the wall.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
FYI (the enthusiasts here probably have already read): A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms 3 novel book by George RR Martin about Duncan AKA Dunk and his squire Egg is an excellent read. Very different than GOT. But contains the story referenced by Jenny's Song as Pod sang in 8 ep 2.
bangobango
AG
cbr said:

Douglas Adams, not Vonnegut.
bangobango
AG
I was disappointed with Bran's explanation. I think the books will have more to say about it, as the books focus on the religion a lot more than the movies.

I still am expecting somebody to say that the reason the NK wants to destroy the memory of man is so he can forget what it was like to be a man. Gives it a little more poignancy than what they've gone with.
jenn96
AG
bangobango said:

I was disappointed with Bran's explanation. I think the books will have more to say about it, as the books focus on the religion a lot more than the movies.

I still am expecting somebody to say that the reason the NK wants to destroy the memory of man is so he can forget what it was like to be a man. Gives it a little more poignancy than what they've gone with.

Me too. The Night King being nothing but a malevolent force of nature is pretty weak sauce considering the cost that's going to be paid to stop him. Basically, we know that the Children created the Walkers to destroy men, and now thousands of years later he's still chugging along like a terminator, no deeper thought, no reflection, just destroy. That may well be all there is to him and the Walkers but if so I'll be disappointed.
agsquirrel97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Condemned for posting spoilers
CostanzaWallet
AG
In the name of the Seven, please start a separate Howland Reed thread.

Stop trying to make Howland Reed happen. It's not going to happen.

Also, if you didn't like the last episode, you must have hated seasons 1 - 6 of GoT.

Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
CostanzaWallet said:

In the name of the Seven, please start a separate Howland Reed thread.

Stop trying to make Howland Reed happen. It's not going to happen.

Also, if you didn't like the last episode, you must have hated seasons 1 - 6 of GoT.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Calling my shot. The longest battle scene ever filmed will actually feature the enemy's leader, the NK.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Interior, Winterfell Great Hall
Aegon Targaryen: "... and a toast to the slayer of the Night King, Podrick Payne!"

Assembled Survivors: "Dilly dilly!"

Podrick Payne eyes Sansa Stark and Danerys Targaryen with a knowing look as they discuss his reward.

Dany: "And now we must discuss the controversial news from the law firm of Fat and Crazy that your warden of the north might actually be my nephew, and thus possibly the heir to the Iron Throne. But how can we prove this? After the tragic accident in which Drogon mistook Bran and Sam for the Night King and Viserion, how can we ever know the real truth?"

Maester Wolkan: "My Queen! A surprise visitor has entered Winterfell."

All eyes turn to see Howland Reed (played by NoHo Hank from "Barry" enter the Great Hall.

HR: "What's up party people! I see ya'll are looking a little glum, so let's kick this off with a joke. What does Victarion Greyjoy call 50 Crannogmen holed up in Moat Cailin? A pain in the Neck!!! But I kid, I heard you guys are wanting me to clarify a really big issue, so here's the Howlmandingo at your service."

AT: "Howland, we met once when I was a lad, but my father always spoke so highly of you. Tell us what transpired at the Tower of Joy?"
HR: "Book version or TV version?"
AT: "TV please, we only have 3-1/2 episodes left."
HR: "I heard that. So, it's me, Neddy Ruxpin, and a few other cats going toe to toe with Arthur Dayne and some other guy - didn't catch his name. So I go full on "Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds fighting that crazy guy in Bloodsport" and within 5 seconds I've got a second air hole in my neck. I"m like OK take a deep breath, let the other guys suss it out, play your cards and come out on top. Pretty soon it's just Young Boromir against the Sword of the Morning and I'm like hey, no time like the present and stab that mofo in the back of the neck - straight up honor killing."

AT: "Er yes, Bran told us that part."
HR: "Bran? Yo, what's up Professor X! How you gonna diss my daughter like that after she dragged your pasty ass halfway across the continent? All she wanted was a little Stark in her, if you know what I'm saying."
Bran: "I can no longer father children for I am the three-eyed raven now."
HR: "Damn, son, what kind of weed you smoking? Cuz I got some stuff fresh out the bog could change your life!"

AT: "If you could return to the Tower of Joy, we're short on time?"
HR: "Yeah, so I always had a thing for Lyanna way back in middle school so I figure, hey I just killed Arthur Dayne, time to put my thing down on this shorty. I bust up in there and boom, girl's straight knocked up by some white blonde-haired poser who is already skipped town."

DT: "This proves nothing. There are more people than Targaryens with that color hair. It could have been Justin TImberlake from his n'Sync days for all we know."
HR: "She's got me there. Hey has anyone seen JoJen around?"
Bran: "He perished North of the Wall. A really fast moving skeleton stabbed him to death, then we were saved 15 seconds later by Leaf."
HR: "Gonna ask you again Bran, what you smoking?"
Federale01
AG
What else could they be? The only motive the night king can have is to destroy man because that is why he was made. But his motives are really irrelevant. He is the equivalent of any invading force that is seeking to wipe out man in every movie. It doesn't really matter that the aliens wanted our resources in Independence Day or the dinosaurs were hungry in Jurassic Park. Their goal is to wipe everyone out. It's human or WWs, and that is really all that matters.
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.