****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,900,817 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
TheCougarHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok when did Gendry show back up? Totally don't remember that
redline248
AG
Last season. Davos picked him up when they took Tyrion to meet Jaime
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Ok when did Gendry show back up? Totally don't remember that

wow.

S7 E5........

tk for tu juan
MaroonStain said:

FFS...

White walkers are not the undead. White walkers are mains with blue eyes that undead are linked to. White walkers are only killed by dragonglass or Valryian steel.

All other undead, skeles, wights, zombies etc are killed by whatever.

During the Cersei meeting, they cut the wight in half and it was still alive. They had to use the dragon glass and fire to kill it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Question...

How are we supposed to concentrate at work when we know damn well there are 100k dead and White Walkers marching directly at us??

Are we eligible for FMLA or short term disability?
AgMarauder04
AG
tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

White walkers are not the undead. White walkers are mains with blue eyes that undead are linked to. White walkers are only killed by dragonglass or Valryian steel.

During the Cersei meeting, they cut the wight in half and it was still alive. They had to use the dragon glass and fire to kill it.

NERD FIGHT
Cassius
I was unimpressed with the first episode. It seemed they simply tried to include most of the cast for the heck of it with no thought to the plot.
jboog
AG
Cassius said:

I was unimpressed with the first episode. It seemed they simply tried to include most of the cast for the heck of it with no thought to the plot.
Bad take. Everyone plz disregard.
BCG Disciple
AG
Cassius said:

The rushed plot pacing has been a criticism once the show outpaced the book. Luckily there had been so much character development done in the first five seasons that it has held together as far as I'm concerned. However, your opinion is not a popular one because it is hard for most to rationally view the show beyond all of the nerdgasms these days.
unmade bed
Cassius said:

You didnt enjoy Jon and Danny's one-on-one date? Gonna be some real drama at the cocktail party before the rose ceremony!
MaroonStain
AG
tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

Yeah that was crap. It's another inconsistency in the show but I will defer.
aTmAg
AG
MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

They are walking around with their insides hanging out, skulls fully exposed, etc. How can you say they are killed by "whatever" when they aren't killed by that?
gigemJTH12
AG
SAtxag16 said:

Cassius said:

Not a great take but not bad. Nothing of real significance happened for the viewers. Just characters finding out a bunch of stuff we mostly already knew. And a wasted 10 minutes on the dragon date.

Everyone keeps claiming it was a "set up" episode. But we really didn't need one. Especially bc we only have 6 episodes.

Even the biggest part(Jon finding out from Sam) was rushed. And felt very un-Sam that he went and told him while he was pissed at Dany.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

When have you seen a wight killed by something other than fire, Dragonglass, or Valyrian steel?
jboog
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

SAtxag16 said:

Cassius said:

Not a great take but not bad. Nothing of real significance happened for the viewers. Just characters finding out a bunch of stuff we mostly already knew. And a wasted 10 minutes on the dragon date.

Everyone keeps claiming it was a "set up" episode. But we really didn't need one. Especially bc we only have 6 episodes.

Even the biggest part(Jon finding out from Adam) was rushed. And felt very un-Sam that he went and told him while he was pissed at Dany.
I know I was mostly joking.

I know a lot of people didn't think we needed a "set up" episode, but how would you have done it differently? Obviously the plot didn't really develop further and I agree that the reveal to Jon could have gone better, but I thought basically everything was just a logical next step in the story.

Personally, I think if we saw some big battle in this episode it would have felt rushed considering the Night King just broke through the Wall and Jon/Dany were just arriving in Winterfell.

I will say I was disappointed that there was Night King and White Walker scene. I think they should have ended season 7 just with Viserion blasting the Wall and then showed at least a short battle sequence of them annihilating Eastwatch.
Southlake
What? Great episode:

Dissension in the North, internal and external. Mistrust abounds
Jon reunited with Starks
Jon's identity revealed and Dragons let him ride
Many characters reintroduced after a long gap
Cercei plotting with Euron
Wall is burned down; White Army on the way.
Arya plotting something
Dragons hungry; Dany suspicious
Bran mysteriously controlling

New music pattern to same theme song. New visual during theme.

Yup. Great first episode. Momentum is building
jboog
AG
Ultimately, I think a lot of people that didn't like it were just hungrier for something bigger since it's been so long since the end of season 7.
MaroonStain
AG
aTmAg said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

They are walking around with their insides hanging out, skulls fully exposed, etc. How can you say they are killed by "whatever" when they aren't killed by that?

Unless the undead are classed separately, at Hardhome, arrows, edged and blunt weapons were disposing of all undead except white walkers...hence killed by whatever. Gendry's initial hammer was not dragonglass but eliminated undead.

It's just an inconsistency... Let's move on.
canadiaggie
AG
MaroonStain said:

aTmAg said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

Unless the undead are classed separately, at Hardhome, arrows, edged and blunt weapons were disposing of all undead except white walkers...hence killed by whatever. Gendry's initial hammer was not dragonglass but eliminated undead.

I'll have to re-watch Hardhome, but it's entirely possible they were just horribly wounding the undead, rendering them ineffective, rather than outright killing them. It's a bit confusing though
Urban Ag
AG
Champ Bailey said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

When have you seen a wight killed by something other than fire, Dragonglass, or Valyrian steel?
I think they have been pretty consistent going back to S1. Valyrian steel or Dragonglass kills on contact (WW's and wights). Fire kills wights once it has consumed them. Wights are only "killed" by anything else if they are cut or smashed in to the small enough pieces to render them immobile. Can't think of any deviation from this.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MaroonStain said:

aTmAg said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

They can be broken into a million pieces, which is what Gendry does to them, and it renders them basically dead, but their body parts are still alive until they are killed by one of the three things.

The question I have is if you cut off a wights arm and then burn the rest of the body, does the arm die?
CapCityAg89
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

So is John Snow actually a cousin of Daenerys?

She's his aunt.

His father is her brother - Rhaegar.

Daenerys was MUCH younger than her brother Rhaegar. In fact he was actually dead before she was born.

So Jon/Aegon and Dany are very close in age - using show years he is slightly older.

Her brother Rhaega died at the age of 22 something in the battle of the Trident in 281 during part of Roberts Rebellion.

Lyanna gave birth to Jon/Aegon shortly after that at the Tower of Joy either late 281 or early 282.

And Rhaegar's mother Rhaella gave birth to Dany in 282 - her mother died in childbirth and she as a baby and her older brother Viserys (age 6) went into exile escaping from Dragonstone to Essos.

Robert and House Lannister murdered Rhaegar's wife Ellia Martell and their two children Rhaenys and Aegon when they sacked King's Landing. So it was assumed they would kill the Targ children too - that is why they fled.

Confused now. I read an article that showed a family tree showing Elia Martell as the mother of Aegon. Rhaegar had two wives - Lyanna and Elia.

Who is the real blood mother?

Oy....yes it is confusing.

Rhaegar FIRST married Elia Martell - she is the mother of Aegon and Rhaenys - all three of them (Elia, Aegon and Rhaenys) were killed by the Lannisters in the sack of Kings Landing.

But before that:
Recently discovered by Sam at the Citadel - Rhaegar had that marriage annulled.
And Jon saw in a vision that Rhaegar then married Lyanna Stark - who he had been accused of kidnapping.

Rhaegar died but Lyanna was pregnant already and gave birth to the guy we know as Jon - but she named him Aegon also. So Jon/Aegon has the same name as his half brother who is dead Aegon.

There is additional back-story. Rhaegar supposedly thought there was a connection between the name "Aegon" and the Prince that was Promised (Azor Ahai), so the son born of Elia Martell was also Aegon. Now, I'm not sure about the timing (whether the Mountain had killed Elia's babies yet), but that connection is the reason for two Aegon's. Doubling down on the name.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Premiered to 17.4 million.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Premiered to 17.4 million.

Is that good?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And now we know why the first episode was all political structuring.
Max Power
AG
SIAP, but one of the iron thrones could potentially end up at A&M?

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/How-George-R-R-Martin-might-make-Texas-A-M-the-13768323.php?cmpid=hpctp
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My predictions:

Premiere: 15M
Finale : 20M
Average per ep: 14M

It's kind of hard to track whether the premiere will have a big jump, and then see a midseason "slump" like some other seasons have had.

For the finale, I looked at BB as the closest zeitgest, "event" finale, which saw a massive jump in ratings. (Almost doubled the final season premiere.)

I undershot it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MaroonStain said:

aTmAg said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

I think you need to watch Hardhome again. imho.

What I see is undead getting hit with arrows and knocked off the fence initially. Some also shot or stabbed through the fence. None of those are definitely rendered really dead. We don't see any of them drop and never move again. Could be but that's definitely not shown.

Then as they are breaking through the fence later we see several of them continuing to fight with arrows through the head and/or impaled by swords. that's pretty clearly not dead dead.

The only ones that appear dead dead were hit by Jon's Valyrian sword.

We see one get it's skull smashed by a stomping boot - but we don't see if that one moves afterward.

Wun Wun does appear to stomp a few that don't move after - they are obliterated to tiny pieces.So that might be a slight inaccuracy. Or maybe parts that small can't move cuz they have no real structure. Later you do see an above shot with parts of wights crawling along the ground.

We also see many knocked over by an axe or hammer type weapon - again we don't see them definitely dead - they go out of frame. they could be crawling on the ground then and not show (don't know tht but we also don't know they are dead for sure).

I think you are mistaking a physical (momentary) repelling of their advance - or knocking them down but not out. But we don't see that cause them to never move again and in some cases we definitely see some of them continue to move and fight.

We do see a battlefield littered with bodies - but I think those all appear to be Wildling bodies - there were many of them definitely killed. and the WW raises them on the shore there at the end.

just my two cents

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

So is John Snow actually a cousin of Daenerys?

She's his aunt.

His father is her brother - Rhaegar.

Daenerys was MUCH younger than her brother Rhaegar. In fact he was actually dead before she was born.

So Jon/Aegon and Dany are very close in age - using show years he is slightly older.

Her brother Rhaega died at the age of 22 something in the battle of the Trident in 281 during part of Roberts Rebellion.

Lyanna gave birth to Jon/Aegon shortly after that at the Tower of Joy either late 281 or early 282.

And Rhaegar's mother Rhaella gave birth to Dany in 282 - her mother died in childbirth and she as a baby and her older brother Viserys (age 6) went into exile escaping from Dragonstone to Essos.

Robert and House Lannister murdered Rhaegar's wife Ellia Martell and their two children Rhaenys and Aegon when they sacked King's Landing. So it was assumed they would kill the Targ children too - that is why they fled.

Confused now. I read an article that showed a family tree showing Elia Martell as the mother of Aegon. Rhaegar had two wives - Lyanna and Elia.

Who is the real blood mother?

Oy....yes it is confusing.

Rhaegar FIRST married Elia Martell - she is the mother of Aegon and Rhaenys - all three of them (Elia, Aegon and Rhaenys) were killed by the Lannisters in the sack of Kings Landing.

But before that:
Recently discovered by Sam at the Citadel - Rhaegar had that marriage annulled.
And Jon saw in a vision that Rhaegar then married Lyanna Stark - who he had been accused of kidnapping.

Rhaegar died but Lyanna was pregnant already and gave birth to the guy we know as Jon - but she named him Aegon also. So Jon/Aegon has the same name as his half brother who is dead Aegon.

There is additional back-story. Rhaegar supposedly thought there was a connection between the name "Aegon" and the Prince that was Promised (Azor Ahai), so the son born of Elia Martell was also Aegon. Now, I'm not sure about the timing (whether the Mountain had killed Elia's babies yet), but that connection is the reason for two Aegon's. Doubling down on the name.

Yes I know....I just wasn't going into the AA prophecy again. I get chastised every time I bring it up.

And yes they were dead already. Killed in the the sacking of KL. It went like this:
  • Rhaegar dies at the Trident
  • Mad King Aerys sends pregnant Rhaella and son Viserys to Dragonstone for safety
  • sack of KL - Mad King and Elia and her children of Rhaegar killed including Aegon
  • in quick succession - Robb born to Catelyn, Aegon/Jon to Lyanna who dies, and Dany to Rhaella who also dies - the order of these is debatable but all happened around the same time within months anyway and the show and the books differ on order.
  • and then Viserys and Dany are exiled to Essos under protection

But the AA theory does appear to be pertinent to his given name - and that's from GRRM who told them that was his name - and MAY relate to the third attempt to create Lightbringer (my personal fave theory).

Malachi Constant
AG
There is no bigger waste of time in literary history than the tragedy of Quentyn Martell.
Liquid Wrench
Champ Bailey said:

MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

MaroonStain said:

FFS...

We've seen the wights "killed" by regular swords and hammers.

But we've also seen them revived by the Night King at Hardhome. So in those scenes where we didn't see them revived, it looked like regular weapons were killing them, which looked inconsistent.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
There is a difference between mostly dead and all the way dead for wighs. All you can do for the all the way deads is go through their pockets and look for loose change.
MaroonStain
AG
If I said I've watched Hardhome 5 times, then that would be on the low end. Even in the clip Thormund takes out a skele with two blows.

This is minutiae and an inconsistency like time and distance in the series.
c-jags
Blatant Disregard said:

There is no bigger waste of time in literary history than the tragedy of Quentyn Martell.

It's been 10 years but was he the Martell dude who went over to win Dany and then died by dragon fire? I get him and Young Griff confused
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.