The Deuce

26,109 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished. Such a good ending. David Simon knows how to do an ending - both here and The Wire. Wow.

Great little homage at the end - to the people and how that part of NY has changed too.

I loved the series overall and must be one of the few that did not lose interest as it went. S3 was amazing I thought partly because we just knew these characters so well, but also because they didn't pull any punches for a happy ending. It was always real and honest and never going to end well for most. Again Simon is one of the few that can be that brutally true to the story no matter what that means to the characters. Too often the characters become bigger than the show and they sell out to fan service. Not here.

The other aspect that was always just nails was the period stuff and the attention to detail on production. Style, clothes, music, props, sets, product placement, everything. That just 100% felt like NYC or midtown anyway for that era. So well done.

I don't know that I'll "miss it".... I feel like it did what it intended and the story closed on the right note and covered that era. I just appreciate it for what it was. Bravo to good storytelling.
Counterpoint
AG
Was that a Wire crossover when Black Frankie said he was moving to Baltimore? (I know the other guy in that scene was ACTUALLY in the Wire).
TCTTS
AG
Very well said.
ATM9000
AG
Finished it last night... last 2 episodes were really good. Agree with a lot of what has been said. Felt like so many of the really interesting characters were gone by Season 3 that it was apparent they struggled with substance in it. But the last 2 episodes were very good.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Counterpoint said:

Was that a Wire crossover when Black Frankie said he was moving to Baltimore? (I know the other guy in that scene was ACTUALLY in the Wire).

Yeah well not so much a direct crossover as I think it was just a nod to his other series.

In a way Bobby's fate was too - his character returns to a union job much the same as Frank Sabotka's character on The Wire.

Yoda
AG
How did you guys feel about the way Candy's story ended? I paused to read the full newspaper article on her death at 73 from a short bout with cancer, and the only family she left behind was her son, brother, and parents. Looks like she did choose the job over her rich boyfriend.

For me, that makes me sad. I really liked his character, and he seemed about as accepting of both her past and present as you could possibly ask him to be. His request that she not perform in films anymore felt entirely reasonable and realistic to what he and his work realities could accept. I wish she had taken his money to finish her film, as getting the story told was what was important to her, certainly not the "acting". Felt like she allowed pride to cost her a chance at what could have been a much better life.
Yesterday
AG
Loved the finale! Felt like we got closure on everyone. I understood Candy's ending because she never had a man nor wanted one. He was definitely good for her but just not what she wanted. Great series!
Duncan Idaho
Just got around to finishing this.

What a fantastic show, characters and ending.

Does David Simon have anything else in the pipeline.
InternetFan02
AG
This debuts March 16

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/the-plot-against-america-david-simon

Winona Ryder, Zoe Kazan and John Turturro to Star in David Simon's The Plot Against America

Production has begun on The Plot Against America, a six-part miniseries based on the acclaimed novel by Philip Roth. Here's everything you need to know.

What is it? The Plot Against America imagines an alternate American history told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey. The story follows the family as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation towards fascism.

pb488
AG
sad to see the show end but not sure where it could have kept going (even with more characters having happier endings then they got). I'll miss the chemistry between Vincent and Frankie (what a fun character Frankie just have been to play) and most of the things Bobby (sobotka) said and how they were delivered.

I'll also really miss seeing that version of Manhattan - having been there dozens of times for work it's still mind blowing that's what Times Square used to be like. speaking of which that final scene was special. loved the callbacks and seeing the 70s pimp clothing (except CC, eff that guy).
Duncan Idaho
First time I went to NYC was in 94. It was still in transition. I remember getting off the subway at 3am anf being disappointed there was only 1 peep show still open and that I didnt see any hookers or pimps.

It was closer to any downtown USA than what time square is now. It was just pretty empty, dark and 99% of the store fronts were closed.
Sex Panther
AG
So somehow I never gave this show a chance when it aired. I have no idea why. I absolutely love David Simon, I really like Franco and New York, so I'm kind of at a loss with myself. I don't think I ever paid much attention to it, and maybe I got it confused with the bad reviews for Vinyl? But I just never heard anything and never watched. Also, I could've sworn this show came out like 5-7 years ago... I blame Westworld for taking up all of HBO's marketing.

What a show... Absolutely fantastic, and felt like a companion to The Wire. So awesome seeing all of Simon's go-to actors again and working with his amazing material. And nobody builds a world where the city is the central character like Simon. Baltimore, New Orleans, and now New York. So gritty and sleazy but utterly fascinating. This show was so heartbreaking and hard to watch at times... but at the same time so much fun. Just a perfect balance.

Also, Simon is the KING of finale scenes. This one was right up there with the Wire for best end scene ever.

Can't stress enough to binge this show on HBO Max if you missed it. It's a quick one.

Bunk Moreland
Great show. And I really feel like only Simon could tackle that type of subject matter and actually do it justice in a TV show format.
Duncan Idaho
Absolutely fantastic show.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome to hear. Really glad you liked it.

All these months later, I never thought it'd be a world I miss so much, but I do. Such a great show, and such a impressive feat to make this world and these characters so empathetic and endearing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.