Oathbreaker- Stormlight Archive 32 chapter release

11,398 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PatAg
BigBrother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For fellow fans of the Brandon Sanderson Cosmere, they're beginning to release chapters up to the release of the full book.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-serialization-announcement/

Quote:

Tor.com will be hosting a weekly serialization of Oathbringer, leading all the way up to the release day. Every Tuesday, readers will be able to read the next three chapters of Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive, starting with the Prologue: "To Weep" on August 22, then continuing on August 29 with Chapters 1 through 3, and onward up to Chapter 32!

NoHo Hank
AG
Can't wait for Oathbreaker. Words of Radiance was freaking epic. Love that series so far.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Been looking forward to this book for a while
titanmaster_race
Not sure how I feel about the chapter releases right before the book is going to be published. Feels like digging into presents on Christmas Eve...

But I can't friggin wait for this book. Been re-reading WoK and WoR in preparation.
AgLaw
AG
I read the first two books and loved them. Can't wait for three.

Question for Sanderson fans: I am trying to read the first book of the Mistborn Series, but I just can't get into it. Is the series worth reading?
Rocag
AG
I like it, but the Mistborn series is a bit divisive among Sanderson's fans. However, if you don't like the first book you probably aren't going to like the next two either.
maverick2076
Absolutely. It starts a little slow but is really good. It's a great look st Sanderson's ability to create an original magic system.
AgLaw
AG
Thanks. I'm going to plow through and see how it goes.
titanmaster_race
I had to plow through the first trilogy. It had it's moments but just didn't resonate with me for some reason.

But I absolutely loved the second trilogy! Wax and Wayne are two of my favorite Sanderson characters.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I put down every Mistborn book about halfway end due to losing interest. Each time I came back months later to finish the book and loved it. I don't know what the deal was.

I love Wax and Wayne in the later books though
NoHo Hank
AG
I really liked mistborn. I think the original trilogy is better than the wax and wayne series though. Sanderson is incredibly skilled at writing fully fleshed out characters who are true to themselves. He sets a character up with a set of traits and it's rewarding to see them act that way, regardless of the direction it takes the story. You don't get too many instances of a character acting in a way that hasn't already been established just to advance the story. That can be pretty rewarding.

The other thing I like is how character motivations are sometimes slow to come about and certain people are consistently misjudged by the POV characters, leading to you seeing them through a certain lense, only for that to be challenged later.

In conclusion, check out mistborn. It's worth a read if you like high fantasy.
BigBrother
AG
The new prologue with Eshonai talking to Gavilar
Absolute
AG
Recently reread the first two to get ready for the third. Actually got a lot more out of them the second time because there is just so much going on.

Not a fan or the trickle release thing though. I'll wait for the full book. November is what I think I saw.
heddleston
AG
Imma gonna hang tight until the whole thing comes out, besides, I read WoR in early 2015 and I've forgotten so much. I went to r/cosmere the other day to try and freshen up and was all, "wait, who is that guy?" So a reread is definitely in the works.
PatAg
AG
AgLaw said:

I read the first two books and loved them. Can't wait for three.

Question for Sanderson fans: I am trying to read the first book of the Mistborn Series, but I just can't get into it. Is the series worth reading?
Just making sure you are reading the original trilogy. If so, I personally got into it almost right off the bat, I think it's absolutely worth continuing. I like stormlight archives more, but that's not a bad thing.
PatAg
AG
heddleston said:

Imma gonna hang tight until the whole thing comes out, besides, I read WoR in early 2015 and I've forgotten so much. I went to r/cosmere the other day to try and freshen up and was all, "wait, who is that guy?" So a reread is definitely in the works.
That's one of those good problems, because you get to read an amazing book again.
heddleston
AG
Yeah, i just finished reading Wheel of Time so I'm a bit worn out on ginormous 1200 page books, BUT. I love me some Dalinor. Reading Elantris and may The Emperor's Soul, then I'm picking WoK back up.
aggietony2010
AG
I listened to the first two on audible on my commute over the last few weeks. They're excellent.

I'll probably be waiting for the 11/14 audio release though...as I burned an audible credit on it.

Hmm... So the book comes out on the 14th. That's when the audiobook date is. Guess I'm not missing anything then.
God save the Patriarchy!
bearamedic99
AG
I'm about to re-read the 2nd book, then the cosmere collection. I'll wait for the full book before reading #3.

titanmaster_race
Chapters 1-3 are up
Cancelled
AG
I've never really read any fantasy. Why are the books so long? Is there a lot filler?
maverick2076
I wouldn't call it filler. Sanderson has built a whole world. The history, culture, geography, magic, etc. are all new and need some explanation. Then you get backstory for characters, historical flashbacks, and a large cast of disparate characters around the world, and you get a big book. A big, amazing, masterful book. It may seem long now, but when you get to the last page you will be begging for more.
aggietony2010
AG
Yep. I downloaded the 2 audiobooks. 95 hours of listening, to listen on my commute.

I found myself circling the block, sitting in the driveway, taking lunch breaks to listen, and then just straight up listening to it in my free time.

The first two are excellent. And with Sanderson's reputation, I'll probably get the conclusion of this series before ASoIaF.
God save the Patriarchy!
PatAg
AG
queso1 said:

I've never really read any fantasy. Why are the books so long? Is there a lot filler?
There are definitely a lot of series/books where I find myself skimming/speed reading until I get to good content.

I don't think I've ever done that in any of Sanderson's books, that I can think of. Definitely not Stormlight Archives.
maverick2076
aggietony2010 said:

Yep. I downloaded the 2 audiobooks. 95 hours of listening, to listen on my commute.

I found myself circling the block, sitting in the driveway, taking lunch breaks to listen, and then just straight up listening to it in my free time.

The first two are excellent. And with Sanderson's reputation, I'll probably get the conclusion of this series before ASoIaF.

That's because Sanderson will finish Stormlight before GRRM finishes ASOIAF. And then Sanderson will finish ASOIAF because GRRM will die before he does.
aggietony2010
AG
Yeah, that was the point.

Which is sad...because GRRM is "writing" book 6/7 and Sanderson is about to release 3/10
God save the Patriarchy!
titanmaster_race
GRRM has pretty much said no one else will be allowed to finish ASOIAF, even if he dies before he finishes.
maverick2076
If he is serious, he will do what Terry Pratchett did, and have someone run over his computer and hard drives with his unfinished work in them after he dies.
bearamedic99
AG
isn't the name of the book Oathbringer, not Oathbreaker, as in the name of the shardblade that dalinar exchanged with Sadeas for the bridgemen?
titanmaster_race
bearamedic99 said:

isn't the name of the book Oathbringer, not Oathbreaker, as in the name of the shardblade that dalinar exchanged with Sadeas for the bridgemen?

Yes.

Oathbringer chapter spoiler:
The released chapters confirm that Oathbringer is also the name of an in-world book, just like The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

Also interesting that each prologue is from the eyes of a character in the palace the night of Gavilar's assassination.
BigBrother
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Yes. I noticed it a few minutes after posting. Just didn't feel like changing it.
titanmaster_race
They are both named Oathbringer. The shard blade and the book.
BigBrother
AG
"Storms, boy. What did you do? Hit a lighteyes?"

"Yes," Kaladin said. Then punched him.

Roshone dropped like a felled tree.

KidDoc
AG
Ok I really am going to have to re-read the first two, way too much time has passed!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
titanmaster_race
KidDoc said:

Ok I really am going to have to re-read the first two, way too much time has passed!

The audio books are really good.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.