Last Chance U S2

8,634 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TexasAggies06
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone started?

The first episode sort of annoyed me but I understand why they had to do it, because of the success of last year so the cast has to acknowledge the cameras etc.

Seems this year they're setting up the storylines around the larger d1 transfers and building episodes around them.

Since the first ep it has been good. The starting QB is the FSU guy who punched that girl at the bar in that infamous video. And I've actually come away pretty impressed with not only him but his parents all things considered. He's now at FAU with Kiffin.

The transfer from Georgia Tim Bonner is just a sad situation, but somehow Kiffin got him to FAU and I don't understand how he functions on a day to day level.

The transfer from Penn St is also a head case.
BCSWguru
dude from tech is back at tech.
Commander Bob
AG
Clint Trickett, The QB coach from EMCC is now the tight ends coach at FAU.....
Big Al 1992
AG
Hugh Freeze sighting!
BCSWguru
why do they focus on the hands so much? am i missing something?
nickstro66
AG
Miss Wagner and the offensive coordinator deserve so much better
Big Al 1992
AG
You couldn't write this script if you tried. People you are cheering for succeeding, people you're cheering for coming up short, and people you are not cheering for at all keep giving reasons to not cheer for them.
Excellent season 2!!!!
jtstanley4621
AG
for whatever reason I didn't connect with the kids from this season as much as I did last season. It was great when they had the mini reunion of kids from the first season coming back.

i like the show a lot. I wonder if they'll do a third season. Such a big part of it to me was the academic advisor woman. Now that she's gone, a third season without her would seem bizarre
MBAR
AG
Never a huge fan of the coach, but honestly after so much of the unprofessional bull**** he pulled over this second season I've grown too really dislike him. The **** with the OC in the last game was insane.
Bunk Moreland
Yep. I think the most ringing endorsement of how much if a dick that guy is, is that he has zero relationship and never speaks with Ms. Wagner. She's the only reason half those dudes can speak, much less go to class and get some semblance of a grade.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Watched half the season on the plane to New Zealand this morning before passing out. Still not impressed with how they discuss and deal with the boys "treatment" of women. Academic advisor is a God send that they vastly unappreciate. Penn State transfer is a head case, Chauncey sounds like an ******* despite the fact he ****ed up just like the rest of them. Really like Vijay and Dakota Allen. DeAndre I sympathize with, people really wanted him to suffer. Isiah Wright is an idiot for disregarding his concussion twice, but damn is he talented. "Kam" is a absolute wonder to behold and not in a good way. Tim Bonner... No words. Surprised he's made it this far. Nonetheless, one could do a long LONG study about these kids and their depreciation of education over the rare chance of maybe playing in the NFL.

Didn't know academic advisor and Trickett left. Will be hard to replace them and I wouldn't be surprised if her replacement doesn't give a **** about those kids.
jtstanley4621
AG
MBAR said:

Never a huge fan of the coach, but honestly after so much of the unprofessional bull**** he pulled over this second season I've grown too really dislike him. The **** with the OC in the last game was insane.
Yep. I think that the OC was his longest tenured assistant coach too. Wasting a timeout like that is really bad, but handling it that way was totally wrong and such a stupid, useless power play.
jtstanley4621
AG
Overall watching the show makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Just about all these kids are focused on and worried about is getting to the NFL. Don't seem to care for a second about the classes they're taking, or see that the education they're getting might be the thing that gets them going in life. It's certainly possible that one of these kids could make it to the NFL, but in all likelihood, getting into the NFL and then staying and carving out a career for yourself over multiple seasons is incredibly rare.

I'm not trying to look down my nose at a school or anything, but it is very clear that they are at that JUCO to do one thing: get through. Not actually earn an education or learn. Just to pass their classes with the bare minimum and get rammed through, education and studying be damned. I cannot imagine many kids leave there (or maybe any JUCO that's focused on football) with an actual good, useful education. And the honest reality of it is that a lot of those kids will either flame out again at a D-1 school, or never make it to the NFL. When that's over, they don't have much at all to fall back on.

While I don't doubt that people like Ms. Wagner are in it for the right reasons, it really is a disservice to these kids in terms of education. And it isn't gonna change anytime soon.
Andyzipp
AG
The ones who do care about their education aren't going to get featured, so it's hard to say that none of them care. Allen (back at Tech), Rivers (at Mississippi State), and Johnson (at FAU) weren't shown struggling with academics. Of course they all knew that's how they get back to D1. I'm not sure that's much different than many of our players who do what they need to do to stay eligible, but have little desire to be in school otherwise.
jtstanley4621
AG
Andyzipp said:

The ones who do care about their education aren't going to get featured, so it's hard to say that none of them care. Allen (back at Tech), Rivers (at Mississippi State), and Johnson (at FAU) weren't shown struggling with academics. Of course they all knew that's how they get back to D1. I'm not sure that's much different than many of our players who do what they need to do to stay eligible, but have little desire to be in school otherwise.
Right, that's what I meant. I'm just saying that I do love CFB and the NFL, but the reality is that a lot of the players are just being used, and willingly because they think they can get to the NFL, and the school is just a tool for them to do so. That is an incredibly short-sided way of looking at things for them. The reality is that making the NFL is anything but a given for 99 percent of football players. And on top of that, staying in the NFL for long enough to really make enough money to retire comfortably when your playing days are over is even more rare.
Andyzipp
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Andyzipp said:

Right, that's what I meant. I'm just saying that I do love CFB and the NFL, but the reality is that a lot of the players are just being used, and willingly because they think they can get to the NFL, and the school is just a tool for them to do so. That is an incredibly short-sided way of looking at things for them. The reality is that making the NFL is anything but a given for 99 percent of football players. And on top of that, staying in the NFL for long enough to really make enough money to retire comfortably when your playing days are over is even more rare.
Agreed. I think Dakota Allen even says in one episode that he doesn't necessarily like being in school, but he knows the only way for him to get back to D1 is doing well academically.
Bunk Moreland
jtstanley4621 said:

Andyzipp said:

I used to agree whole heartedly, but I've sort of gotten to the point where I've swung back just a bit. The simple (and sad) truth is that without football, those same guys who are so sure they're going to the NFL when they can't even hack a d1 starting spot would never have wanted to, or been able to go to school anyway.

So it's basically a pathetic 2 way street that everyone overlooks in exchange for the entertainment that college football provides.

I'm actually more in favor of recognizing high level D1 sports for what they are, and creating alternative programs at universities that are not part of the regular undergraduate programs for some athletes to learn skills or trades instead of forcing them to go through a traditional undergraduate schedule where 99% of it either doesn't apply or they wont' care about.

If an athlete does want the traditional education, offer it. But if they are simply in school to try and play pro one day, then let's do the best we can to give them life skills if (and most times when) that doesn't happen. And going to minimum requirement classes on some pathetic undergraduate program catered to passing athletes doesn't do that.
MBAR
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Overall watching the show makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Just about all these kids are focused on and worried about is getting to the NFL. Don't seem to care for a second about the classes they're taking, or see that the education they're getting might be the thing that gets them going in life. It's certainly possible that one of these kids could make it to the NFL, but in all likelihood, getting into the NFL and then staying and carving out a career for yourself over multiple seasons is incredibly rare.

I'm not trying to look down my nose at a school or anything, but it is very clear that they are at that JUCO to do one thing: get through. Not actually earn an education or learn. Just to pass their classes with the bare minimum and get rammed through, education and studying be damned. I cannot imagine many kids leave there (or maybe any JUCO that's focused on football) with an actual good, useful education. And the honest reality of it is that a lot of those kids will either flame out again at a D-1 school, or never make it to the NFL. When that's over, they don't have much at all to fall back on.

While I don't doubt that people like Ms. Wagner are in it for the right reasons, it really is a disservice to these kids in terms of education. And it isn't gonna change anytime soon.
Quite frankly, I think this is the issue at the vast majority of D1 schools with football programs. And I include TAMU in that too. Take a guy like Speedy. I'm sure if we saw footage of him in this vein it would come up the same way.
Big Al 1992
AG
Ollie - the kid from last season who ended up at Nicholls and we watched him come back for a homecoming of sorts - already out at Nicholls and looking to transfer.

Lack of Parenting, lack of role models, entitlements and DGAS attitudes have doomed some of these kids.
fig96
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Ollie - the kid from last season who ended up at Nicholls and we watched him come back for a homecoming of sorts - already out at Nicholls and looking to transfer.

Lack of Parenting, lack of role models, entitlements and DGAS attitudes have doomed some of these kids.
You gotta think it's the parenting first and foremost, because tough parenting would do a lot to eliminate the other two.

Finished up S2 yesterday and of all of them Dakota Allen impressed me the most. Kid knew he made a mistake, put his head down and worked and got back to the big time. And after disliking but somewhat respecting Buddy in S1 I now just plain dislike the guy. His stunt with the OC was junior high level bullying.
dragmagpuff
AG
Didn't they say that Dakota Allen had passed Calculus 1 and 2? That was such a breath of fresh air in the show, when it seems like most of the players write on a 7th grade level.
The Lost
jtstanley4621 said:

This is over half the kids at A&M and every other college in the NCAA. There are some great stories of smart kids, but this is definitely the norm.
SACR
AG

I've heard that the plan for most people in Mississippi when they get out of high school is to either get a job or go to a community college. Going to a four-year school for an undergraduate degree is not a plan for a lot of the population. It is in the culture down there.

I think it was a guy in Kam's hometown(?) who said he had 'already made it' in his mind just because he was at EMCC. Think about how low the bar for success is if going to a community college is 'making it' in that community.
CheeseSndwch
1. Miss Wagner is a saint to hang in their for 8 years, I wouldn't last 8 days.

2. Coach Buddy is a POS for bringing up the OC's ex-wife during their sideline argument.

3. Anyone else shocked Kam didn't have to sit for calling a trainer a ***** and for pushing a coach? No wonder there are so many disciplinary issues on that team.
MBAR
AG
SACR said:

I've heard that the plan for most people in Mississippi when they get out of high school is to either get a job or go to a community college. Going to a four-year school for an undergraduate degree is not a plan for a lot of the population. It is in the culture down there.

I think it was a guy in Kam's hometown(?) who said he had 'already made it' in his mind just because he was at EMCC. Think about how low the bar for success is if going to a community college is 'making it' in that community.
It doens't surprise me. I get it completely. When you're poor and you come from extremely poor places, you don't get to shoot for the stars. Getting a high school diploma is often making it. I grew up extremely poor so I get this.
There's a reason that how much money your parents make is often an indicator of how well you'll do in life. We love to celebrate rags to riches stories in this country, but the truth is that they're rare. For everyone who makes it out of those towns, there are generations that don't.

I find it hard to engage in conversations like these on TexAgs because I don't know when a poster is being judgemental or when they're displaying empathy. I think a lot of people here judge the "culture" or the situations without anytime spent understanding what it's like to be dirt poor and grow up in those type of communities in a place where you're still segregated to a huge degree and I think that's wrong.
tylercsbn9
AG
I hope Kam breaks his leg or something at Pitt. Dude is such a *****.

The guy from Tech seems like a really great dude. I also liked their DLine coach a lot.

The OC is now in some sort of administration position. I guess he may just be lying in wait until the inevitable firing of Buddy.
BCSWguru
Williams' locker room speech was fantastic and unexpected. He will have a bigger job because of this show. That and there's no way Stephens sticks around if he doesn't win.
tylercsbn9
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

for whatever reason I didn't connect with the kids from this season as much as I did last season. It was great when they had the mini reunion of kids from the first season coming back.

i like the show a lot. I wonder if they'll do a third season. Such a big part of it to me was the academic advisor woman. Now that she's gone, a third season without her would seem bizarre
There will be another season.

It just won't be at EMCC. I have heard they are looking at a school in Texas and Cahoula (the school they featured with the losing streak).

Ms. Wagner supposedly got a job in communications at Zaxby's or some fast food chain, but I think now she is opening her own academic advisory company that focuses on getting kids eligible for college. Good for her because she was probably only making 30-35K a year but this show was a launch pad for her.

I felt some sympathy for Isiah. Yes he can be a disrespectful ***** But some of the stuff he was going through.....yikes. Just sucks because he had some pretty good interest but it all just disappeared.
jtstanley4621
AG
I sort of had the show on in the background all last weekend. I may have missed it, but did the HC ever actually know what was going on with Isiah and losing the kid? I remember seeing the interactions between then (Isiah definitely was not blameless to say the least) but I kept wondering if the HC knew what he was going through, certainly would seem likely that someone dealing with that would lash out and feel anger.
MBAR
AG
The head coach obviously just lashes out at people. Hence riding Isiah. Hence throwing the mom out. Hence being a ***** with his coordinators. He can never have a reasonable response and it's never his fault. It's always someone else.
Andyzipp
AG
I think a megalomaniac like Stephens absolutely knew what was going on with Wright. He just doesn't care.
tylercsbn9
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I sort of had the show on in the background all last weekend. I may have missed it, but did the HC ever actually know what was going on with Isiah and losing the kid? I remember seeing the interactions between then (Isiah definitely was not blameless to say the least) but I kept wondering if the HC knew what he was going through, certainly would seem likely that someone dealing with that would lash out and feel anger.
It wasn't ever clear.

Ms Brittney tried to get it out of him, but he never actually said anything to her in the scene other than a piece of him was gone. I have a feeling no one actually knew because Isiah seems like a very guarded and private person.
Bunk Moreland
I'm not judging, so I hope people don't think this post is with any malice...but simply from how weird that storyline was presented, I question how the baby was "lost."
jtstanley4621
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

It wasn't ever clear.

Ms Brittney tried to get it out of him, but he never actually said anything to her in the scene other than a piece of him was gone. I have a feeling no one actually knew because Isiah seems like a very guarded and private person.
Yeah, that would make sense. Ugh. What an incredibly tough season that was for him. Obviously he has attitude issues, but the injuries derailed him a bit and then losing the kid on top of that. Then not ending up at a D-1 school, even though it looked like he had the talent to do so.
redass89
Wagner and the OC are the only two people I like in the show. The kids are just in a tough situation. Buddy is a sorry piece of **** though. That guy shouldn't be allowed around any young people. I hope this show completely derails his career and he gets fired. He didn't care about changing internally - he was just trying to fake it in front of the cameras. I thought the end was very telling with the two Nichols players.

Light skinned guy says "I'm in a much better place...emotionally, physically, spiritually" he started to say something about buddy but caught himself. Then Ollie says "**** that man"
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.