*** ONLY THE BRAVE *** (Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff Bridges)

4,453 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by nai06
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like this one could be right up TexAgs' alley. I've been hearing really good things, too. From director Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy, Oblivion), this definitely looks to be a departure from his past work, but also somewhat of a bridge of sorts to his next project, the much-anticipated Top Gun sequel, Top Gun: Maverick. If anything, I can appreciate that Kosinski is attempting to mix it up and try something a little more grounded and heartfelt. Interested to check it out on October 20...

Van Buren Boy
AG
I thought Verner Vollstedt was rumored to be directing?
Old Main
AG
Miles Teller is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
_lefraud_
AG
Is this the film that Vinny Chase wanted on so badly?
Bonfire1996
AG
Old Main said:

Miles Teller is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
no doubt
DB Coach
AG
Wow! Definitely excited about this one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I saw that trailer last night attached to Dunkirk and wondered where was Richard Dreyfuss, John Goodman and Holly Hunter? (A 1989 Steven Spielberg movie called Always that centered around forest fire fighters).
Sex Panther
AG
Aquaman
Narcos (Medellin)
The Great Gatsby
Only The Brave (Smoke Jumpers)

Hollywood is so out of ideas they're literally mining old episodes of Entourage for inspiration.

What else was Vinnie Chase in? I'm looking forward to Matterhorn but I can do without Benji
wangus12
AG
When I worked SARs ops in NM and CO, we'd go in and help with evacs sometimes for wildfires. Those firefighters are some of the most badass dudes on the planet. This movie might hit me in the face emotionally
Richard Trickle
AG
Google Yarnell Hill Fire
aggie0959
I am ready for queens boulevard
Sex Panther
AG
Richard Trickle said:

Google Yarnell Hill Fire

israeliag
AG
Looks good. Interested to see what Kosinski can do with a grounded (non sci-fi) story.
Richard Trickle
AG
Richard Trickle
AG
I doubt the story of 19 firefighters losing their lives has its inspiration from an Enterouge episode
Sex Panther
AG
It's just a joke bud... I know the story and I know it's not literally from Entourage. I think the movie looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Welcome to the Internet
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but did you know that Aquaman is based on Entourage?
Richard Trickle
AG
Sorry I didn't get your joke, bud.

Can't wait to hear your jokes on similar subjects.

Welcome to the Internet.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS
AG
Finally saw this tonight and will say it's phenomenal until it suddenly becomes The Saddest Movie of All Time. Really, it's so incredibly well done overall, but just a hell of a gut punch in the end. Nothing truly groundbreaking about it, but really well shot, features a super solid cast, and tells the story about as well as it can be told, hitting all the right beats at all the right times.

If anything, director Joe Kosinski has matured by leaps and bounds. He brings an emotion to this movie lacking from his last two (Tron: Legacy and Oblivion), and I'm convinced more than ever that he's going to knock Top Gun: Maverick out of the park. Dude really stepped up his game and proved why he's the man for his next job.

As for this one, currently sitting at 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's absolutely worth a trip to the theater, but you probably wouldn't be missing out if you waited for streaming. Either way, see it if you get the chance.
agsquirrel97
AG
Saw it this weekend. Very good character development focused on the right number of people to give the viewer the emotional experience of this tragedy from each group that is affected.

Excellent performances by Miles Teller and Josh Brolin. Jeff Bridges had another HoHW moment in my opinion with his emotional release.

Well done, deserves 90+% RT IMO.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Finally saw this tonight and will say it's phenomenal until it suddenly becomes The Saddest Movie of All Time. Really, it's so incredibly well done overall, but just a hell of a gut punch in the end. Nothing truly groundbreaking about it, but really well shot, features a super solid cast, and tells the story about as well as it can be told, hitting all the right beats at all the right times.
Saw it this weekend and couldn't agree more about the gut punch. My wife was literally in tears for about 10 minutes after the movie. We had to sit and wait for the credits to end before she could get it together and walk out.

Knowing the story beforehand, I was dreading the ending because everything leading up to it was so well done. The gathering at the end in the school cafeteria when Donut showed up was so damn sad.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that cafeteria scene was one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch in a theater.
The Anchor
AG
My wife and I caught this on Saturday. Great movie. Definitely a punch in the gut. True heroes.
Racer X
AG
Saw it last night. It took all my mental effort and a few look-aways to keep from shedding a tear. Really good movie!
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Don't worry, you're not the only one confused.
cab559
AG
Just streamed this on demand. Great movie, would highly recommend.
Fairview
AG
I watched it last week on a plane. Not the smartest move but really good movie. I'm building a house right now and they gave us a wildfire rating of high so we have to do a bunch of extra stuff to make it safe. I'm a tree guy but his comment in the movie about just seeing trees as fuel made my stomach drop.

Anyone read the book by Brendan McDonough about the fire? I'm debating giving it a shot.
Old School Brother
Really enjoyed it, but yeah, gut punch of the highest order. My wife and I watched it at home and were laying on opposite ends of our big sectional couch. Neither of us said a word for the last 20 mins of the movie. At the end, she sat up and said "Well, that was the F-ing saddest movie I've ever seen, thanks for making me watch that."
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

If anything, director Joe Kosinski has matured by leaps and bounds. He brings an emotion to this movie lacking from his last two (Tron: Legacy and Oblivion), and I'm convinced more than ever that he's going to knock Top Gun: Maverick out of the park. Dude really stepped up his game and proved why he's the man for his next job.

As for this one, currently sitting at 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's absolutely worth a trip to the theater, but you probably wouldn't be missing out if you waited for streaming. Either way, see it if you get the chance.

Watched this tonight on the recommendation from a friend of my wife's. Damn it was good, but you summed it up well in that first sentence.

Also, holy crap did not know it was the same director as Top Gun Mav!
nai06
AG
I was talking to the production manager several years ago and she said that it was an absolute battle to film that movie. A lot of the forest scene were shot in areas that didn't access via a road and all of the equipment had to be hauled to the site by hand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.