HBO orders alternate universe Civil War drama from David Benioff and Dan Weiss

4,434 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The show "chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall."

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/19/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confederate/

When I first saw this I got excited. Thought that it was going to be an adaption of Harry Turtledove's Timeline 191

Sadly, it will not. I'll be interested to see if this even makes it to shooting. There are a lot of people on the internet up in arms about this project.
Duncan Idaho
This isn't going to go ever well with a lot of the country.
The Debt
I bet its gonna make southern states look good.
AgMarauder04
AG
Too bad. Turtledove's season is one of my all time favorite series
Madmarttigan
AG
This sounds like a particularly bad Idea
Urban Ag
AG
tv1113 said:

terrible idea

we will see if the lefty powers that be value the allmighty dollar over social justice warfare. A modern trashing of the southern states will lead to mass cancellations.

very ugly idea for a series
bcasey03
AG
Sounds good to me.
Madmarttigan
AG
Urban Ag said:

tv1113 said:

terrible idea

we will see if the lefty powers that be value the allmighty dollar over social justice warfare. A modern trashing of the southern states will lead to mass cancellations.

Leave it to Texags to come up with that point of view. Not at all what I was referring to LOL
PatAg
AG
tv1113 said:

Urban Ag said:

tv1113 said:

terrible idea

Leave it to Texags to come up with that point of view. Not at all what I was referring to LOL
Why would anyone else get upset, it's not likely to glorify slavery or anyone in support of it.
Sapper Redux
Swarely said:

Quote:

The show "chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall."

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/19/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confederate/

When I first saw this I got excited. Thought that it was going to be an adaption of Harry Turtledove's Timeline 191

Sadly, it will not. I'll be interested to see if this even makes it to shooting. There are a lot of people on the internet up in arms about this project.

Timeline 191 is a very good series, but it would be no less controversial. Especially once you get to the post-WWI era.
JD Shellnut
AG
Pass.
Sazerac
AG
What timeframe is this set in?

Modern day would be pretty interesting.
PatAg
AG
The only way it will upset me is if it sucks and is a waste of the timeslot. Which it probably will be. They won't have an acclaimed book series to ride on the coattails of this time.
Sapper Redux
cclearman said:

Supposedly set in the modern age around the third Civil War.
Duncan Idaho
cclearman said:

Why would it be interesting? I have been told time and time again that the war wasn't about slavery and that salvery would have naturally been done away with as it became clear that it wasn't the most optimal economic allocation of labor in a free market system. And the south just wanted to pursue the peaceful pursuit of a self determining states rights centric self government without the oppressive weight of Washington crushing their pursuit of the god given gifts for ALL of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Long story short, with a southern victory, the CSA would look like the contempory southern states but with more freedom for all.

InternetFan02
AG
Nothing has been scripted yet. All I've read indicates this will be set in the present day. I like how this project was randomly announced in the wake of some backlash over GOT lacking interesting Black characters. And Benioff and Weiss are already doing damage control today promising not to glorify slavery. LOL they should have just made Dorne an all Black kingdom or something similar.
Weimerica
InternetFan02 said:

Nothing has been scripted yet. All I've read indicates this will be set in the present day. I like how this project was randomly announced in the wake of some backlash over GOT lacking interesting Black characters. And Benioff and Weiss are already doing damage control today promising not to glorify slavery. LOL they should have just made Dorne an all Black kingdom or something similar.
"Promising not to glorify slavery", they may as well have said that white Southerners are going to be modern Nazis.

Yes I'm sure whites won't be portrayed as comically evil in the show such that it is the only way society would even work. In reality if slavery still existed then the mechanization of farming and a lot of modern technology would never have been invented and it's likely that they would be significantly behind. Of course I doubt they will consider these implications at all and just choose to copy and paste the modern world into this one. "Look it's the modern world with slavery guy, see how all whites want to keep the blacks down!" "It is your duty to stamp out these feelings whenever you see them just like how we in the media and in Hollywood do".

There is absolutely no way in hell this show won't portray white Southerners in the most KKKomical way possible. Given who the directors are, I'm sure we will see many references to the Holocaust too and how only whites have ever committed mass crimes.

Is it any wonder why Hollywood is losing relevance and is literally only being kept afloat by scifi and superhero movies? People are tired of having politics shoved into their face every time they watch a movie or a tv show.

If the creators of this show had any balls whatsoever they would have actually considered the historical implications of the South winning the war and how that would effect world history going forward. We all know though that given the state of Hollywood as a bastion of communism and anti-white agendas that the chances of them actually even mentioning these things is less than zero.

What a joke, this is why my tv almost never is on anymore.
Sapper Redux
The best TV has always had a political element to it that speaks to the issues and concerns of their era. Now, I don't know if this is going to be any good, but some of the names attached have good reputations. If this upsets you so much then don't watch it. I'd also recommend you avoid Harry Turtledove's Order 191 series though it's a brilliant bit of alternate history.
Counterpoint
AG
Funny that most of the internet is outraged because they think this will be too pro-south, and Texags is worried it will be too pro-north.

...And I'm just outraged at everyone's outrage because I feel like Benioff & Weiss should have earned everyone's trust by now, yet we're already complaining about a show that won't even start until 2018.
Weimerica
Dr. Watson said:

The best TV has always had a political element to it that speaks to the issues and concerns of their era. Now, I don't know if this is going to be any good, but some of the names attached have good reputations. If this upsets you so much then don't watch it. I'd also recommend you avoid Harry Turtledove's Order 191 series though it's a brilliant bit of alternate history.
The Southern Victory series actually covers the implications of a Southern Civil War victory and how it changes the entire world. Turtledove is a master at writing alternate history because he can take small changes like this and extrapolate them worldwide. It's why he is one of my favorite fiction writers.

This is going to be nothing like that at all.
TCTTS
AG
schmendeler
AG
i'm not anxious to watch a show that will likely have a lot of suffering of people at the hands of other people with no chance for reprisal. i still haven't watched 12 years a slave because it sounds like it would just be wrenching to watch.

that said, since it's HBO, i'll at least give it a shot. the theon/ramsay storyline was by far my least favorite part of GoT, though.
boogieman
AG
Interested to see what they come up with. I definitely want to check this out.
Gigem314
AG
Hopefully more of a modern 'North & South' vibe than 'Django Unchained' or '12 Years A Slave'.
jbsj9698
AG
I expect it will be just an another avenue to bash the South and Southerners as racist, backward, etc.
NColoradoAG
This show does not sound that interesting to me. Too much of a parallel with Man in the High Castle.

Would much rather HBO capitalize more in the sci-fi fantasy realm with Jonathan Nolan and make The Foundation series.
schmendeler
AG
jbsj9698 said:

I expect it will be just an another avenue to bash the South and Southerners as racist, backward, etc.
i would be surprised if it's that monotone in content and presentation. HBO puts out good stuff, in general.
oragator
I would be surprised given today's political climate on race, if there was a show with HBO's Gravitas in this genre that had blacks as modern day slaves.
But maybe I will be proven wrong,
The Debt
oragator said:

I would be surprised given today's political climate on race, if there was a show with HBO's Gravitas in this genre that had blacks as modern day slaves.
But maybe I will be proven wrong,

The hilarity is when they cast British blacks instead of American blacks. (Black Hollywood is pissed at this phenomena)
oragator
HBO: we shouldn't have announced via press release, our bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4733938/HBO-exec-Slave-drama-Confederate-announcement-mishandled.html
BQ78
AG
Bravo HBO, you keep the program in the news by releasing a press release that you should not have released the press release.

Also get over yourself by saying how sensitive the subject was. Really what a soft society we have become.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.