The Defiant Ones on HBO

5,250 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ChiliBeans said:

Watching part 1 now. Do they ever get around to the fact that before he was a G thing, Dr. Dre was a she thing?

Homophobe much? /kberma2009
White Liberals=The Worst
Duncan Idaho said:

Glorifying the collusion between blacks and Jews to destroy Western culture for the sake of muh economy. /Politics board

I lol'd, although in reality it's pretty much the same 2-3 politics posters who keep getting banned and coming back with new socks.

Also, Jimmy was an Italian catholic right?
Duncan Idaho
i watched the 3rd episode tonight.

I am getting old. The MM/NIN montage made me uncomfortable. But damn it brought back some great ****ing memories .
Cappo
AG
I am excited to watch
Liquid Wrench
I didn't even recognize Trent in the interview. He can look and talk like a normal person.
UnderoosAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I didn't even recognize Trent in the interview. He can look and talk like a normal person.

Traded heroin for donuts
Counterpoint
AG
UnderoosAg said:

ChiliBeans said:

Traded heroin for donuts
White Liberals=The Worst
Family man. Never would have guessed it. Been married for 8 yrs. This isn't the best picture of her, but his wife is pretty hot.

Jim01
AG
Loved the series.

NIN is one of my top 5 rock bands ever. Trent is a great interview. Very intelligent and funny at times.

He's been pretty healthy for years now. A couple tours ago he was straight up jacked.

Jim01
AG
Dr. Dre talked a lot about how hard he worked to make Beats the best sounding headphones in the world. I've never heard them but all I've heard and read about them is that they are actually NOT very good sounding, they just have a lot of bass and are marketed well.
cr0wbar
AG
two episodes in. Well shot and edited. Liked the Tom Petty / Stevie Nicks stuff. Holy hell Patti Smith was/is one unattractive woman.
PatAg
AG
kberma2009 said:

If so then F me.
Yea, maybe **** off back to wherever you came from.
PatAg
AG
Jim01 said:

Dr. Dre talked a lot about how hard he worked to make Beats the best sounding headphones in the world. I've never heard them but all I've heard and read about them is that they are actually NOT very good sounding, they just have a lot of bass and are marketed well.
They do sound good, but only if your preference is more of a bass heavy balance.
AggieOO
Wycliffe_03 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Glorifying the collusion between blacks and Jews to destroy Western culture for the sake of muh economy. /Politics board

I lol'd, although in reality it's pretty much the same 2-3 politics posters who keep getting banned and coming back with new socks.

Also, Jimmy was an Italian catholic right?

yes.
Liquid Wrench
I probably only know what Beats are because they got so many athletes to wear them. I wonder how many free sets they gave away to get them on TV.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Jim01 said:

They are kind of like Yeti coolers. There are better products out there, but they had superb marketing, and were the first "Luxury" version of the product. the Bose headphones that were popular before weren't so much about having great headphones, but rather not being able to hear anyone else.
MBAR
AG
Beats are good, you can usually just get something as good for less from another brand that isn't all about image and thus spends a lot of their budget on marketing. Kind of like Apple computers.
Counterpoint
AG
I had always heard that Beats were really good before Monster got involved, but this documentary makes it sounds like Monster was always involved, so my sources suck.
Say Chowdah
AG
PooDoo said:

Big Al 1992 said:

And how does Apple ever justify giving them $3 billion? Why not stop at 1 or 2 billion? How many freakin headphones do you have to sell before you see any ROI?
I would guess 20 million headphones would cover it.

But I doubt they put up that much cash. And now they have Dre and Iovine working at Apple Music.

Duncan,
Your statement was offensive and insensitive. Jimmy Iovine is Italian.
Beats controls 40% of the headphones market now. I'd say they probably already made their money back. Not to mention they are in phones, computers, tablets etc as well. So the licensing has a lot of value too.

Iovine is Italian American who is also Jewish. He also loves Christmas so much that he put out "A Very Special Christmas" album to honor of his father who passed during the holiday season. All the albums proceeds went to (and continue to go to) the Special Olympics.
AgLaw
AG
Just finished watching this. Amazing. Iovine and Dre are both geniuses. Marketing. Music. Culture. Everything. They are one of those perfect entertainment marriages that defines a generation.
BMX Bandit
Duncan Idaho said:

PooDoo said:

Big Al 1992 said:

And how does Apple ever justify giving them $3 billion? Why not stop at 1 or 2 billion? How many freakin headphones do you have to sell before you see any ROI?
I would guess 20 million headphones would cover it.

But I doubt they put up that much cash. And now they have Dre and Iovine working at Apple Music.

Duncan,
Your statement was offensive and insensitive. Jimmy Iovine is Italian.

Didn't the deal also include the beats streaming service that became apples play in that market?
yes.

it wasn't just buying a headphone business.
PatAg
AG
AgLaw said:

Just finished watching this. Amazing. Iovine and Dre are both geniuses. Marketing. Music. Culture. Everything. They are one of those perfect entertainment marriages that defines a generation.
I guess I had known Iovine had been involved with Petty and others, but I wasn't aware he was as instrumentally involved. I first probably became aware of him via someone like Dre or Eminem maybe...or maybe a Rolling Stone article from that era.
Duncan Idaho
I'd love to see the second season of" tales from the tour bus" being "tales from the production box" and have stories from Rick Rubin, Jimmy Iovine, and the rest of the producers behind the great artists.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.