The Defiant Ones on HBO

5,249 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watched all 4 episodes. Crazy to see the worlds of Iovine and Dr Dre collide to a billion dollar business venture. Iovine is the man - Springsteen, Petty, Patti Smith, U2, No Doubt, dated Stevie Nicks, married Playmate.
Good show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I was surprised there wasn't a thread before now. I was just about to start one. This was an excellent documentary. Really enjoyed it, especially the old footage they had of both Jimmy & Dre working in the studio.
Professor Frick
AG
Yeah we really enjoyed it. Amazing how much old footage they had, especially of those first Dr Dre DJ gigs in the late 70s.
Duncan Idaho
Glorifying the collusion between blacks and Jews to destroy Western culture for the sake of muh economy. /Politics board
NColoradoAG
Finished episode 3 last night. Really enjoyed episode 1 and 3. Episode 2 was a bit of a rehash on the Dre side, but the Iovine side was interesting.

I always enjoy these music documentaries because I think the public at large, and myself sometimes, think these artists just stroll into a studio, smoke a joint, and crank out a platinum album. There is a lot of work that goes into these peoples music. Most of these people are also extremely intelligent and driven. Dre has obviously had his own person legal troubles, but you also have to give him a lot of credit for how persistent and driven he is.
boogieman
AG
Great documentary. I knew most of Dre's story, but I didn't know much about Iovine, other than hearing his name a bunch and that he was head of Interscope. He's worked with some great talent.

I had to laugh at Part 4. They became billionaires based on a chance get together where they were originally going to talk about sneakers, and ended up at speakers.
StringerBell
AG
was about to start a thread on this as well.

really really well done documentary.
MelvinUdall
As a teen and into my twenties in the 80's and 90's, I loved that era of rap, starting with Run DMC, LL Cool J, and NWA and then onto Dr. Dre, Snoop, and Ice Cube, these types of documentaries really take me back. They did a fantastic job and I gained a whole other level of respect for Dre and persistence to be perfect in what he was producing.
Counterpoint
AG
I really loved this! I can't believe how little I knew of Iovine when he was involved in so much of my favorite music.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Iovine was just interviewed on Howard Stern a few weeks ago. I'd suggest checking that out if you're interested in more of his story.
Liquid Wrench
Dionne Warwick's calling saying 'you embarrassed me,' and he's like, "you psychic, you shoulda known I wasn't coming.
Know Your Enemy
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Dionne Warwick's calling saying 'you embarrassed me,' and he's like, "you psychic, you shoulda known I wasn't coming.

That was awesome.
MBAR
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Glorifying the collusion between blacks and Jews to destroy Western culture for the sake of muh economy. /Politics board
Do people here find the politics board as insane as I do?

Anyway, no surprise, but I LOVED the sound mixing on the show. Best use of my home theater on something that wasn't an action movie ever. I felt it was pretty interesting but it fell off a bit a times. 4 hours is probably overkill.
Liquid Wrench
I've only seen 3 and 4 but I want to watch the first two. This was done so well that I don't think they went too long. Even if you're not into the music it's just a great story about drive and obsession. And it's amazing that Dre found a woman who understood it. That's one in a million.
LHIOB
AG
The Untouchables theme over the credits is awesome
Counterpoint
AG
MBAR said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Do people here find the politics board as insane as I do?

YES! (Hopefully.)
JonSnow
Duncan Idaho said:

Holy F%#K. Outward rascism is really becoming mainstream.
SeattleAgJr
kberma2009 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not....
JonSnow
SeattleAgJr said:

kberma2009 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

It's not.
SeattleAgJr
kberma2009 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

kberma2009 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

It's not.
Then it is even better!
Counterpoint
AG
kberma2009 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

kberma2009 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

It's not.
Okay then...Duncan Idaho was making fun of the politics board, those aren't his actual thoughts.
hph6203
AG
Wooooooooooosh.
MelvinUdall
ChiliBeans said:

That was so awesome.
Big Al 1992
AG
Loved when Jimmy and Dre were in the Ferrari playing tunes - they jam out to Petty's Refugee and Dre says that sounds really good. Jimmy gives him a **** eating grin and points to the radio, then points to himself "That's me".

When Iovine was on Stern they asked him why American Idol - a lot of non informed folks had never heard of him till then - and Iovine says he wasn't on to find talent, he was on there to sell speakers and headphones - that was prime headphone purchasing audience right there.

And how does Apple ever justify giving them $3 billion? Why not stop at 1 or 2 billion? How many freakin headphones do you have to sell before you see any ROI?
PooDoo
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

And how does Apple ever justify giving them $3 billion? Why not stop at 1 or 2 billion? How many freakin headphones do you have to sell before you see any ROI?
I would guess 20 million headphones would cover it.

But I doubt they put up that much cash. And now they have Dre and Iovine working at Apple Music.

Duncan,
Your statement was offensive and insensitive. Jimmy Iovine is Italian.
JonSnow
Duncan Idaho said:

Time to pull out grandpa's Klan robes before your next post.
Liquid Wrench
Time for you to take a nap before posting again.
JonSnow
It's a really well done show. Loved every minute of it. But if you hate Jews and blacks, it's just probably not your thing. I am sure you can find some Archie Bunker reruns.
Know Your Enemy
AG
kberma2009 said:

It's a really well done show. Loved every minute of it. But if you hate Jews and blacks, it's just probably not your thing. I am sure you can find some Archie Bunker reruns.

You need to learn sarcasm.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Duncan is definitely being tongue-in-cheek at the ridiculousness of Forum 16. That's definitely his posting style.
MBAR
AG
i mean he put the slash style formatting afterwards. I'm not even sure how people are confused about that comment.
JonSnow
If so then F me.
Duncan Idaho
PooDoo said:

Big Al 1992 said:

I would guess 20 million headphones would cover it.

But I doubt they put up that much cash. And now they have Dre and Iovine working at Apple Music.

Duncan,
Your statement was offensive and insensitive. Jimmy Iovine is Italian.

Didn't the deal also include the beats streaming service that became apples play in that market?
boogieman
AG
Yeah. That was the big reason they bought Beats. The streaming service they had was big.
Liquid Wrench
Watching part 1 now. Do they ever get around to the fact that before he was a G thing, Dr. Dre was a she thing?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.