***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,676 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/quentin-tarantino-prepping-new-movie-tackling-manson-murders-1020165

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this though. Oddly enough, I was watching Pulp Fiction just last weekend, and started thinking about what his next project might be.

This seems a bit out of left field for Tarantino. But then again, I suppose everything he's done since Jackie Brown has been sort of a first for him. (Martial arts movie with Kill Bill, WW2 movie with Basterds, "Western" with Django, etc.)

I was kind of hoping he'd be returning to a contemporary setting on his next movie, but Tarantino has never disappointed.

Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, and Margot Robbie all currently rumored.

Thoughts?

*** UPDATES ***

Release Date:
July 26, 2019

Cast list (As of 6/8/18):
Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt
Margot Robbie
Timothy Olyphant
Dakota Fanning
Al Pacino
Kurt Russell
Damian Lewis
Emile Hirsch
Luke Perry
Tim Roth
Burt Reynolds
Clifton Collins Jr.
James Marsden
Michael Madsen
Scoot McNairy
Zoe Bell

Flashdiaz
AG

not sure how I feel with a story that glorifies a real murderer.

Then again, I enjoyed the People vs. OJ series...
CapCityAg89
AG
Yea, if he puts Charles Manson in slo-mo with great dialog and really cool music, he will have lost me. And I'm a QT fan. I know it sounds odd but when it's based on reality, it is worse than when it's straight fiction.
PLUM LOCO
AG
This event should be left in history.
boogieman
AG
Yeah! A new Tarantino!

Definitely curious how he handles/develops the movie based on true events.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Would prefer he stick to purely fictional characters. Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie, but might have been better even without the Hitler, Churchill, etc. characters. All of the most interesting characters were fictional.
Whos Juan
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Would prefer he stick to purely fictional characters. Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie, but might have been better even without the Hitler, Churchill, etc. characters. All of the most interesting characters were fictional.
I think that's how he'll handle it. He'll have a fictionalized version of those events which allows him more creativity.
Or he could make Manson into some sympathetic protagonist. I'd probably watch, either way.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I just watched Hateful Eight and I seem to remember many on here thinking it was his worst movie. Am I alone in thinking it was a masterpiece?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would say Hateful Eight is one of his weaker movies, but it's still great. There's no bad with QT , only levels of good.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

my immediate reaction is kind of sick to my stomach.....

i'm thinking Kalifornia crossed with Hateful Eight and a real life docudrama.....

It's going to be a slippery slope not to tread into glorification of violence.

but it's QT so i'll probably watch.
Guitarsoup
AG
I thought he was only going to do ten movies. He's going to end his career by leaving the Tarantino Universe?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I thought he was only going to do ten movies. He's going to end his career by leaving the Tarantino Universe?

When he said that, he hinted that his last movie would be a possible non fiction movie set around 1970. I guess this would fit.
Duncan Idaho
I would watch the **** out of this.

If he manages to make Manson sympathetic, more power to him. It would just show what a great story teller he is.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I just watched Hateful Eight and I seem to remember many on here thinking it was his worst movie. Am I alone in thinking it was a masterpiece?
Was his worst movie. Was hit best directorial effort.
schmendeler
AG
tarantino
BQ78
AG
What makes ya'll think he is going to glorify Manson? Hollywood loves Hollywood, he is probably going to make us feel sorry for Sharon and Roman.
Guitarsoup
AG
He's done quite a bit of glorifying violence and killers over his career.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

and killers
Such as?
Guitarsoup
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are you suggesting glorifying a real life murderer would be the same as a fictional character?

And that's ignoring the whole revenge aspect that Kill Bill is centered around.
boogieman
AG
Quote:

An alleged leak regarding Tarantino's upcoming Manson family heartwarmer(his first film based on true events) emerged on Reddit's Movies wing. User b1rdnest claims to have inside information on what's to come. According to the poster, the film will be modifying things from Tarantino's Kill Bill 3 script for use in this film. Here's the key juicy stuff, including casting talk involving Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt.
Quote:

Brad Pitt: Tex Watson Jennifer Lawrence: Susan Atkins Margot Robbie: Sharon Tate Harvey Keitel is playing Manson as on old man, which aspects of the story are told through him.
[Young Manson is not featured]
The film will take place briefly before the murders begin and the twist will be that Sharon Tate survives and hunts down/murders the whole family.
It will have lots of references to The Fearless Vampire Killers which she stared in.
Tarantino gave up on Kill Bill 3 and converted elements to be adapted in this story.
It is heavily influenced by The Last House on the Left & Straw Dogs.
[And thanks for not just hating on me for a supposed leak. I was excited to share because this never happens to me. Again I CANT CONFIRM. It's just what I was told]

Interesting.

Link
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, if true, that sounds kind of terrible. As if QT has just completely run out of ideas and basically applied yet another revenge fantasy to yet another alternate history tale. I'll of course give it a shot, but I'm really hoping that's #fakenews.
TCTTS
AG
powerbelly
AG
So he is just out of ideas?
Serious Lee
powerbelly51 said:

just out of balls. his 10th film was just served up on a platter for him, "hollywood sex offenders and their hypocrisy".

he'll just continue making race baiting films and work the N word into it as many times as possible instead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Aust Ag
AG
Wondering about the "this is a horrible subject, shouldn't be done" crowd here. I'm guessing most don't know there have already been a few Manson movies, dating back to '76 (Helter Skelter)... I was a kid and somehow my parents let me watch that TV movie. Disturbing.

I guess because it was the '70's people didn't' worry about PC and things like that. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a more accurate portrayal of what it was like to be a black slave since Roots. I haven't seen it since it came out, and can still remember the scenes with the traders on horsebacks chasing blacks around with nets, the "say Tobi!" scenes. Another 70's TV movie (miniseries). Cinema seems to have made that subject off-limits this century. With the way things are going, with the statues, etc, doubt we will again.

Now that I'm rolling, are there any (reasonable) subjects that have not been touched by a major motion picture, due to, well, people freaking out?
Sex Panther
AG
Aust Ag said:

Wondering about the "this is a horrible subject, shouldn't be done" crowd here. I'm guessing most don't know there have already been a few Manson movies, dating back to '76 (Helter Skelter)... I was a kid and somehow my parents let me watch that TV movie. Disturbing.

I guess because it was the '70's people didn't' worry about PC and things like that. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a more accurate portrayal of what it was like to be a black slave since Roots. I haven't seen it since it came out, and can still remember the scenes with the traders on horsebacks chasing blacks around with nets, the "say Tobi!" scenes. Another 70's TV movie (miniseries). Cinema seems to have made that subject off-limits this century. With the way things are going, with the statues, etc, doubt we will again.

Now that I'm rolling, are there any (reasonable) subjects that have not been touched by a major motion picture, due to, well, people freaking out?

Aust Ag
AG
Ha, I actually saw that and subsequently forgot about it.

Some pretty graphic stuff for sure, didn't resonate I guess. Obviously Roots more impactful, and more wide-ranging (covering a few centuries). Has Ken Burns covered this?
VanZandt92
Roots , Helter Skelter , and the Holocaust miniseries messed me up in my world view for sure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Unsurprisingly, DiCaprio now strongly rumored to be Tarantino's target. So likely him, Pitt, and SLJ.

Kind of crazy, but have DiCaprio and Pitt never worked together? I can't think of anything they've done.
Bunk Moreland
Uncle Gunnysack said:

powerbelly51 said:

just out of balls. his 10th film was just served up on a platter for him, "hollywood sex offenders and their hypocrisy".

Tarentino's entire career was made possible by Weinstein and Miramax. I think it'd come across as pretty hollow to try anything on that narrative because most logical people know tarentino knew a ton of the dark secrets and kept his mouth shut for decades.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Yep. He already owned staying mute on the subject and stated he wished he hadn't. Sometimes loyalty and a feeling of obligation/psychological need for reciprocity obscure judgment.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
White Liberals=The Worst
Bunk Moreland said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

powerbelly51 said:

Tarentino's entire career was made possible by Weinstein and Miramax. I think it'd come across as pretty hollow to try anything on that narrative because most logical people know tarentino knew a ton of the dark secrets and kept his mouth shut for decades.
Also, imagine the creepy and shady sh** Tarentino's been involved in behind the scenes. Bet Uma's got some stories to tell. Dude has a foot fetish...nuff said.
White Liberals=The Worst
Geriatric Punk said:

Yep. He already owned staying mute on the subject and stated he wished he hadn't. Sometimes loyalty and a feeling of obligation/psychological need for reciprocity obscure judgment.
Along with drugs and a very very loose to nonexistent moral compass. I'd bet it's more likely that he is only apologizing because he has to...what else is he supposed to say? He probably doesn't really see the big deal with all of the casting couch sh** i bet.

And I'm a QT fan. He's a mad genius, but a creepy, shady, amoral dude.

Cue TCTTS to come along and tell me what a righteous and noble dude QT is....jk.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.