Movie review - The Beguiled - Civil War, Sofia Coppola's Cocoon

1,474 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Btron
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Review of The Beguiled

I know this movie has been mentioned here but this seems to be a good review. siap
TCTTS
AG
Saw it last night. Loved it. Super simple, to the point where you could almost envision it as a play. One location, small cast, and just a great little story. Surprised at how genuinely, under-the-radar funny it is too, at least throughout the first half. Watching these "Christian" girls/women subtly compete for the affection of Ferrel's character is way more entertaining than I was anticipating. Such a crazy ending too. Overall, it's a Sophia Coppola film to its core (The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation, etc.), with just a little extra knowing wink to it - a darkly fun date movie and definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.
OldArmy71
AG
We all realize this is a remake of a Clint Eastwood film, right?
TCTTS
AG
Yes, but never saw it.
OldArmy71
AG
I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember it as very creepy and Southern gothic, not my favorite genre. Shocking ending.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like it's pretty close in tone and story, because that's basically what this is - a creepy, Southern gothic with a shocking ending. Though, I wouldn't quite call the new version "creepy."
Sex Panther
AG
The trailers are a little surprising to me... it's pretty obvious they give away exactly what happens
TCTTS
AG
I'll admit, I didn't even watch the full trailer before I posted it. But just watched it now and yeah, wow, it gives away a lot. Just maybe not quite in the order you think. Still, taking the link down.
TCTTS
AG
Here's the teaser trailer, which is way less spoilery (i.e. not spoilery at all)...

Hey Nav
AG
Re-doing a good Clint Eastwood movie. With Colin Farrell.

Next thing you know, they'll have Will Ferrell as Dirty Harry.

Of course, Don Siegel is no Sofia Coppola I'm sure it's an upgrade.
VanZandt92
Sex Panther said:

The trailers are a little surprising to me... it's pretty obvious they give away exactly what happens

precisely why I've avoided trailers for years.
Old Main
AG
I saw this a few days ago and didn't think it was so great. I like movies set during the Civil War and in the south, so it had that going for it.

The movie wasn't bad, it just seemed incomplete. When it was over I was like "wow, that's it."

I heard some reactions of people leaving the theater and it wasn't favorable. I heard one girl say it was the worst movie she ever saw.

For me it was maybe a 6 out of 10.

The setting was in Virginia, but it was actually filmed at a plantation house in Louisiana.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
Liquid Wrench
I'm surprised to find out there are movie buffs who haven't seen the original.
schmendeler
AG
My dad and I were talking about Clint Eastwood movies and he started talking about one with a union soldier that is in a house full of women and I told him that sounded like a movie about to come out called beguiled. I had no idea it was a remake of one of his. My dad had no idea of the new version coming out.
Btron
AG
schmendeler said:

My dad and I were talking about Clint Eastwood movies and he started talking about one with a union soldier that is in a house full of women and I told him that sounded like a movie about to come out called beguiled. I had no idea it was a remake of one of his. My dad had no idea of the new version coming out.

Thank goodness for Texags!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.