*** MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS ***

6,653 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by corleoneAg99
mslags97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Preview was too good and the movie didn't live up to it. It was ok, but I wasn't impressed. Thought it was lazy in parts. Had the twist figured out not even half way through. Enjoyable, but I honestly felt they wasted an incredible cast.
MAROON
AG
saw it this weekend. Wife wanted to go, I knew it was going to be average. After the show she said "well at least it was pretty". About summed it up - nice cinematography - everything else was lacking, except for Poirot's mustache which was the unequivocal star of the show.

Not sure there has ever been a good movie made from an Agatha Christie novel.
Pignorant
AG
Thought it was pretty good.

Anybody catch the part where they alluded to America being more racist than Europe?

Rolled my eyes at that part.
AgFB
AG
Average movie. Didn't mind it but I have Movie Pass. Caught myself dozing off a few times.

Agree detective was great.
Tonyperkis
AG
Decided to watch this randomly with movie pass. I dozed off a little bit. Agree with other posters that it's pretty to look at but average entertainment. Perfect movie pass or airplane movie.
Sex Panther
AG
Agree with everyone. Very average, very nice looking though, waste of a great cast, Movie Pass made it fine to go see, but not worth a normal ticket.

The problem with it for me was fitting the amount of story needed in the timeframe to properly do the narrative justice. I wasn't really familiar with this story before, but I'm guessing it worked great as a book... But there is a huge backstory we need to know that's necessary to explain what's going on with all of the passengers, and they do it pretty terribly in the movie... It would just be Poirot saying suddenly, "Oh by the way, this is super important... there was a family with a little girl who got murdered... This guy was the killer. Don't ask me how I know that. By the way, the mom was an actress. Also they had a nanny. That's her obviously" etc...

If they had more time to flesh that out instead of having it as exposition, it probably would've worked a lot better.

I will say that Branagh could get a Best Actor nomination from this in my opinion. He was that good...

At least until his sexual assault allegations come out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, what? Branagh for Best Actor?

I mean, he wasn't bad, but... sort of cartoony, no? An over the top mustache and French accent that's out of a Pink Panther movie. Just curious what about him stood out to warrant a nom?
Sex Panther
AG
I mean, probably not. But I really enjoyed his portrayal.

Also I have no clue who is supposed to get nominated at this point and no performance has really stuck out to me this year. I'd probably give James McAvoy a nomination for Split.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will never happen, but would be great to see Jackman get some love for Logan.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Will never happen, but would be great to see Jackman get some love for Logan.
I'm hoping to see Logan get some love across the board. Just a fantastic film that far outreached it's genre.
GetThoseKeysMilo
Just got home from seeing this. I agree that it was very well made in terms of cinematography. Loved a lot of the shots and camera angle choices. Plot did seem a little rushed, couldn't really develop much depth to a lot of the characters.

I feel kind of dumb, I didn't look up who was in this movie before I went and saw it. Had no idea that redhead was Star Wars girl (she and the younger blonde chick were hoooottttttt), also thought Josh Gad character was Jack Black.

I freely admit I was a little drunk. I never figured it out until the reveal.
Old Main
AG
This was a bad movie... I regret spending the time and money to see it.
The Anchor
AG
fig96 said:

Went on Friday, enjoyed it but it wasn't amazing. Really enjoyed the opening few scenes though.

The cast is really good and there's some nice character moments, and Branagh is absolutely fantastic in the lead role, but a few of the characters seem kinda undeveloped and it dragged a bit in places.
Exactly this.
corleoneAg99
AG
Perfect movie to go to with wife, not hate, and give me license to go to Thor today by myself. Everybody wins!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.