*** House of Cards: Season 5 ***

13,277 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hatchback
ellebee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I assume if you're on a thread you've already seen it otherwise the whole thread would be blacked out and you wouldn't know which spoilers you can tap without getting spoiled.

I was thinking maybe she went headfirst into the wall or something. He pushed her pretty hard. Otherwise those few steps don't make sense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Same here. If everything gets "spoiler alerted", then the thread will just he painted in black and what's left will make no sense anyway.
swimmerbabe11
You can always label what you'll be discussing/where you are at
ellebee
SPOILER ABOUT FRANK PUSHING CATHY DOWN THE STAIRS

oh man that was so crazy when frank pushed Cathy down the stairs
swimmerbabe11
No not crazy. Stupid.
ellebee
I figured there were cameras everywhere as well. I agree, it was stupid and not believable. They just need to wrap it up.
oragator
I watched all the seasons up to now, in fact it was why originally got Netflix. I have made it through three episodes this year and not sure if I will go back to watching the rest.
They should have just ended it a year or two ago, nothing left that is terribly original or gripping for me.
_lefraud_
AG
This series would have been better off if after season 2, they went back and showed how Frank got into politics, made it into the house, made whip, etc.

Once he made it to the white house as vp, much less president, the show lost so much of what made it great.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
cr0wbar said:

wife and I just wrapped it up tonight - dislike the Jane Davis character immensely. She came out of NOWHERE
this is a running joke now in my family. any time someone shows up to a family event we don't know we call it the Jane Davis affect.

absolutely absurd how they brought her in, expected everyone to know her, and then just run with her useless ambiguous character.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
FWIW My .02...

Yes I still watch but just because I'm so invested now I wana see how it ends (kinda like how I was with How I met Your Mother)

From the moment Zoe got pushed in front of the train for me that was the original jump the shark moment. But then its also had like 5 other jump the shark moments. Its so far fetched and unrealistic. I mean so many elements of it leave you with a "that is so freakin ridiculously stupid" feeling you lose track.

Its soooooooooo bad. But some how, some way i will probably watch yet another train wreck of a season.
Buck O Five
AG
The show grabbed my interest when Frank said he knew if he could narrow the election to one state he could use his skills to fix the election. Then the show appeared to be back to its strength of cloak and dagger manipulation at a secret society. Then that is shattered when Frank lucks out by getting the flash drive from some random with Conway's flight recording. All the buildup in previous episodes on how the runoff would be handled were made pointless.

Then the whole "i planned this all along" bull didn't fit with Frank's actions in previous episodes. It would have been interesting to see Frank take on a Koch brother type role as hinted to, but it looks like its back to Frank vs. Claire.

Did anyone else find it odd that a great detective journalist like Hammerschmidt is portrayed as hapless while the body count is racking up all over the place AND he is literally being fed information by the killers?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
the "I planned this whole thing all along" was just another piece to a mountain of ridiculousness.

as for Cathy Durant so she's just in the hospital and hasn't told the authorities who pushed her? i'm guessing they are going to either:

a) have Frank tell her "my word against yours nobody is going to believe you"

or

b) Frank digs up some dirt on her from something and blackmails her into keeping her mouth shut
Saul Goodman
AG
As others have pointed out, the more I think about the season, the more clear it becomes how poorly written and conceived it was. Makes you appreciate the good shows and to not take quality writing for granted.
Duncan Idaho
finished this tonight. ....I had to convince myself to do it. Doubt I will watch any more.
TCTTS
AG
I still stupidly watch this show for two reasons:

1) On a purely cinematic level, it's one of the best-shot, best-looking shows on TV. And for whatever reason, that goes a long way with me.

2) Robin Wright is unbelievably hot for a 49 year old.

Beyong those two aesthetic reasons, it has become no better than a soap opera. And sometimes even more ridiculous and unbelievable. I watched a couple episodes on a plane over the July 4th holiday and I was straight up embarrassed to be doing so. It's so, so bad now. And yet, I still have to see how it all ends...
ac04
just finished. pretty disappointed that they wrecked that gorgeous 911 GTS.
Buck O Five
AG
ac04 said:

Why did she not just outrun that truck/SUV on her tail?!
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Purposely waited to read through this thread until I finished the season tonight.

Using spoiler tags anywhere in this thread is silly, and the only thing sillier is anyone getting upset that they aren't used in places. Grow up, and realize what freaking thread you're in.
Sex Panther
AG
This show is bizarre for me

It's the most ridiculous show ever... Seriously, at this point Game of Thrones is more realistic. Not only are the plot lines just flat out silly, they are so insane that I don't know how the writers can come up with them without laughing.

But at the same time, I absolutely love it... Like TC said, it's so well done. It's beautifully shot. The acting is phenomenal, and even though its ludicrous, it's edge of the seat compelling to me.

The Cathy Durant push was just too stupid for me though... The best thing about Frank (and the show) is how calculating he is. He leaves nothing to chance. That push was just too much, and worst of all there was no guarantee it would work for him. It was sloppy, which is the one thing he isn't.

Also, Patricia Clarkson is terrible.

The show would've gone down as an all timer if it had ended with Francis taking the oath as the President. Standing behind the desk in the Oval Office, realizing all of his scheming had finally paid off, that he had actually done it... Then looking at the camera with his evil stare, and doing his ring tap.... but can't fault them for milking it out for as long as they can.

No matter how bad this show gets story wise. The aesthetic of it, combined with the acting of Spacey, Robin Wright Penn, and Michael Kelly (Doug) will always make it a must watch for me.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Sex Panther said:

This show is bizarre for me

It's the most ridiculous show ever... Seriously, at this point Game of Thrones is more realistic. Not only are the plot lines just flat out silly, they are so insane that I don't know how the writers can come up with them without laughing.

But at the same time, I absolutely love it... Like TC said, it's so well done. It's beautifully shot. The acting is phenomenal, and even though its ludicrous, it's edge of the seat compelling to me.

The Cathy Durant push was just too stupid for me though... The best thing about Frank (and the show) is how calculating he is. He leaves nothing to chance. That push was just too much, and worst of all there was no guarantee it would work for him. It was sloppy, which is the one thing he isn't.

Also, Patricia Clarkson is terrible.

The show would've gone down as an all timer if it had ended with Francis taking the oath as the President. Standing behind the desk in the Oval Office, realizing all of his scheming had finally paid off, that he had actually done it... Then looking at the camera with his evil stare, and doing his ring tap.... but can't fault them for milking it out for as long as they can.

No matter how bad this show gets story wise. The aesthetic of it, combined with the acting of Spacey, Robin Wright Penn, and Michael Kelly (Doug) will always make it a must watch for me.
Agreed on all points. I'm hooked and will
Always watch it.
TXAGFAN
AG
Same. For the reasons above this one will never make my favorite shows list, but I'll watch it through the end. I'll have less regrets I'm sure compared to when I watched say Sons of Anarchy which ended so poorly.
hatchback
AG
ac04 said:

They didn't wreck the actual GTS. The wheels and body of the wrecked car were for a generic 911. #AutoNerd

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.