The Keepers

5,003 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr.Rumack
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody started it on Netflix yet? I'm two episodes in and my god, what an absolute monster that priest was. The abuse by those within the school and church was sickening enough, but then trafficking in policemen AT the school to rape these girls?!?!?

It is mind boggling that this went on as long as it did and that no one was punished for it.
Keep watching. Maskell isn't the biggest monster of the story.

Excellent docu-series btw.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Good. God.

How does one person encounter so many horrible things?
SkinkyAg03
AG
I think this was one of the most disturbing things I've ever watched. Every time I didn't think it could get any worse they'd introduce someone else to add to the overall story.
phatpat21
Just watched the first 2 episodes
My gosh, when they showed the two priests i thought those two dudes didn't look right....what a sad situation those poor girls were in.
BCSWguru
Baltimore is such a pile of crap. Jeebus.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Quote:

Maskell isn't the biggest monster of the story.
Then who? I watched the whole thing.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Quote:

Maskell isn't the biggest monster of the story.
Then who? I watched the whole thing.
I am not sure but

He might mean the Archdiocese of Baltimore as a whole
That's what I meant.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
True. The system is disgusting and sadly, that's no spoiler.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Would love to know the story behind all the missing files, etc. A terribly sad story.
GCRanger
AG
Wife and I just finished it. Pisses me off to no end that the church allowed this to happen so many times in so many places around the world, and still covers it up. I lost a high school classmate to suicide because of this crap.
LHIOB
AG
Bump

We have one episode left

This stuff is nuts
Jimmy McNulty
AG
third coast.. said:

Jimmy McNulty said:

True. The system is disgusting and sadly, that's no spoiler.

This guy would know
I finally have a "username checks out" moment for myself.
IceAg08
AG
So we can all agree who did it...

It was Edgar, right? He needs to explain all those stuffed animals before anything else though
DG-Ag
AG
I was born and raised Catholic in San Antonio. Went to catholic all-boys schools all the way through high school. Taught mainly by nuns in grade school - some of them just plain mean as hell. Then in HS, priests and non-secular teachers. There was this one priest that I remember as the "cool" guy. He apparently came from a wealthy family. At least he had access to a boat and house at a lake in the area somewhere - maybe canyon lake. Can't remember as it's been close to 40 years. Anyway, every once in a while he'd invite a few students out to his place for skiing and whatnot. My parents never let me go. Never really thought of it at the time. But with everything going on nowadays with priests - and especially after starting to watch this series - I wonder if anything unsavory happened on any of these occasions. Hope to God it didn't. But definitely makes me wonder.

I know - cool story...
Andyzipp
AG
DG-Ag said:

I was born and raised Catholic in San Antonio. Went to catholic all-boys schools all the way through high school. Taught mainly by nuns in grade school - some of them just plain mean as hell. Then in HS, priests and non-secular teachers. There was this one priest that I remember as the "cool" guy. He apparently came from a wealthy family. At least he had access to a boat and house at a lake in the area somewhere - maybe canyon lake. Can't remember as it's been close to 40 years. Anyway, every once in a while he'd invite a few students out to his place for skiing and whatnot. My parents never let me go. Never really thought of it at the time. But with everything going on nowadays with priests - and especially after starting to watch this series - I wonder if anything unsavory happened on any of these occasions. Hope to God it didn't. But definitely makes me wonder.

I know - cool story...

My wife and I were having a conversation about this. Not that it couldn't have happened (it very likely did), but the Catholic Church in Texas didn't/doesn't have near the influence and prominence that it did in cities like Boston, New York and Baltimore during that time period. So their ability to cover up this kind of abuse, with the support of the police and local government would be limited compared to their peer dioceses in the northeast.
DG-Ag
AG
Andyzipp said:

DG-Ag said:

I know - cool story...

My wife and I were having a conversation about this. Not that it couldn't have happened (it very likely did), but the Catholic Church in Texas didn't/doesn't have near the influence and prominence that it did in cities like Boston, New York and Baltimore during that time period. So their ability to cover up this kind of abuse, with the support of the police and local government would be limited compared to their peer dioceses in the northeast.
It seemed to have a lot of pull in San Antonio back in the day. Hell, I didn't know there were other religions as a kid.
VanZandt92
I'm going to disagree with this thought. I imagine the Catholic church has no trouble covering up things in many regions.
Andyzipp
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I'm going to disagree with this thought. I imagine the Catholic church has no trouble covering up things in many regions.
It's not like it was in the Northeast post WW2 up until the 80's. Irish and Italian immigrant families were established by 1-2 generations at that point, and they were Catholic. Beyond the Church, the police, business leaders, and the local government officials were all Catholic. They were taught, especially before Vatican II that the Church was infallible, and that it was their duty to protect the Church.

In the South, where there were many more Protestants, and Catholics were the minority (and largely looked down upon), it would have been harder to cover up.

Please note, I'm not claiming the Catholic Church didn't cover things up all over during the time period, just that it was harder to do.
Tabasco
AG
Thanks, just added to queue. When I looked it up, another doc popped up called "Finders Keepers." Watched the trailer of that one, and it looked... well, interesting. Same guy that did King of Kong.
benMath08
AG
IceAg08 said:

So we can all agree who did it...

It was Edgar, right? He needs to explain all those stuffed animals before anything else though
It was hard for me to get a read on that guy. He seems mentally disabled and I'm not sure what happened to his mouth. It's entirely possible that his wife thinks he did it but it might not be what actually happened.

Part of the problem with memories that old is that you might have part of it right but you might get the details wrong. For example, the day he came home with blood on his shirt could have been the day before or day after Sister Cathy went missing, and the wife erroneously matched them together when she heard about the murder.

Overall it was a really well done documentary. It's very tough to watch at some points but it's a story that needs to be told.
West Point Aggie
AG
There are monsters out there...that one woman who underwent that horror...Jesus! No one deserves that! That priest should have had his ass kicked!!!

I've never been so struck by a documentary before

No wonder there are so MANY former Catholics...
Connd
Just finished it. The Catholic Church and the state of Maryland are *******s. An anonymous hack on the Catholic Church would be an awesome thing.
AgLaw
AG
Just finished it. Truely disturbing on so many levels. My guess on who did it: Meskell and/or "Brlther Bob", who was probably a cop. They got help from the Schmidt boys and Edgar in getting rid of the body.

As a documentary, it was very well done. The director laid out the story perfectly.
gonemaroon
AG
Why is all this stuff blacked out? Just now watching
COOL LASER FALCON
Spoiler tags. Touch them on mobile or hover over with your mouse and you can read them.
Topher17
AG
I'm just now getting to this doc and I'm through 4 episodes. I can't believe I hadn't heard more about this when the doc originally came out. Sickening and infuriating stuff.
Dr.Rumack
Just finished last night. So harrowing on many different levels. The Ed guy seems the most likely.

Did anyone else notice the fast food trash can in that lady's kitchen? We were laughing at that part.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.